Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Thoughts about an update to the KJV?

Rate this topic

Would you use a simple accurate KJV update?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a simple accurate KJV update?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
    • Probably
    • Probably Not

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

An updated modern KJV has already been done, in 1994. It's called the 21st Century King James Bible if you want to check it out and compare it to the 1769 KJV. I've never read it so I don't know what differences are in it, however it was supposedly only changing some 'archaic' vocabulary words, not grammar or the thee's and thou's. So if the Bible scholars in this thread want to check it out, feel free and maybe give us a good review on a separate thread and tell us what you think. 

Edited by Rebecca

• Members
5 hours ago, Rebecca said:

An updated modern KJV has already been done, in 1994. It's called the 21st Century King James Bible if you want to check it out and compare it to the 1769 KJV. I've never read it so I don't know what differences are in it, however it was supposedly only changing some 'archaic' vocabulary words, not grammar or the thee's and thou's. So if the Bible scholars in this thread want to check it out, feel free and maybe give us a good review on a separate thread and tell us what you think. 

1994? That would be archaic by now. We need at least 10 updates every year to keep things updated among the updates or all the college graduates who've dumped 200 grand into their educations won't be able to understand the bible they don't even read. 

You really never hear a Kentucky hillbilly complaining the"archaic language of the antiquated Authorized Version". It's usually some bible scholar looking to pump out a new translation, or apparently now that many Christians have figured out the con job, a new update of the KJV. $$$$

Every Christian I've heard complain about the "thee's and thou's" never read the bible. Period. In any version or edition. It's just an excuse to avoid reading it.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
10 hours ago, Rebecca said:

The 21st Century KJV (KJ21) is inadequate.  It still keeps archaic English like thee, thou, ye, and cometh, as well as archaic grammar.  So the "eth" endings are unnecessarily kept.  Also, it has very strange formatting different than the KJV with larger italic font for words of Christ and then removing the important italics of the KJV.  This is unacceptable.  It also uses bold lettering for famous passages.  So some verses are completely bolded.  One quote from the Father was put in all caps and italics.  It also capitalizes divine pronouns, which means they have to interpret which pronouns are referring to God, and they could have made mistakes.  I think the KJV is much better by not doing that.  So the KJ21 does not fulfill the need for a KJV update.  It introduces poor changes to the KJV.  The Third Millennium Bible, which is also called the New Authorized Version, is the same as the KJ21 but includes Apocrypha and no formatting changes.

9 minutes ago, BibleBeliever5 said:

The 21st Century KJV (KJ21) is inadequate.  It still keeps archaic English like thee, thou, ye, and cometh, as well as archaic grammar.  (emboldening added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Brother "BibleBeliever,"

Do you understand the grammatical significance of the pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye"?  If so, what do you understand that grammatical significance to be?

In your opening question for this thread discussion, you ask about "a simple, ACCURATE KJV update."  Understanding the grammatical significance for the pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye," I would contend that they are included in the King James translation for precise accuracy.  Furthermore, I would contend that arguing for them to be removed is demonstrating an interest in "simplicity" AT THE EXPENSE of accuracy.  No King James translation supporter that I know would EVER support that, nor would they EVER use such a product.

Just now, BibleBeliever5 said:

Yes I do.  And it's archaic English.

Yes, it IS "archaic" English, specifically for the sake of ACCURACY.  So, you have now revealed what many have suspected.  Removing that which you perceive as "archaic" is more important to you than retaining that which is important for ACCURACY.  I must contend that such an attitude/philosophy of "updating" is an error.  I will have nothing whatsoever at all to do with such an attitude/philosophy of "updating."

• Members
2 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yes, it IS "archaic" English, specifically for the sake of ACCURACY.  So, you have now revealed what many have suspected.  Removing that which you perceive as "archaic" is more important to you than retaining that which is important for ACCURACY.  I must contend that such an attitude/philosophy of "updating" is an error.  I will have nothing whatsoever at all to do with such an attitude/philosophy of "updating."

Let me put it this way.  I do not support any inaccuracy in the Bible.  I believe that a Bible should be 100% accurate.  I do not support updating anything in the KJV that makes the text inaccurate.  If you think the only way to have an accurate Bible is to have ye and thee, I would disagree with you.  Please think more about that.  🙂   

32 minutes ago, BibleBeliever5 said:

If you think the only way to have an accurate Bible is to have ye and thee, I would disagree with you.

What would be your alternative solution to update these while retaining their accuracy?

29 minutes ago, BibleBeliever5 said:

Let me put it this way.  I do not support any inaccuracy in the Bible.  I believe that a Bible should be 100% accurate.  I do not support updating anything in the KJV that makes the text inaccurate.  If you think the only way to have an accurate Bible is to have ye and thee, I would disagree with you.  Please think more about that.  🙂   

Here is the problem in our discussion concerning the pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye" -- I cannot discuss their importance for precise accuracy with you if you do not actually know what they mean grammatically.  For that reason, I asked you above to provide your own understanding concerning their grammatical significance/meaning.  You have not done so.  Even so, you have proceeded to express disagreement; but you have NOT provided any evidence to support your disagreement.  Let me ask you again -- What do you understand the grammatical significance/meaning of the pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye" to be?  

• Members
1 minute ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Here is the problem in our discussion concerning the pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye" -- I cannot discuss their importance for precise accuracy with you if you do not actually know what they mean grammatically.  For that reason, I asked you above to provide your own understanding concerning their grammatical significance/meaning.  You have not done so.  Even so, you have proceeded to express disagreement; but you have NOT provided any evidence to support your disagreement.  Let me ask you again -- What do you understand the grammatical significance/meaning of the pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye" to be?  

Let's skip to the bigger question.  Can God give us the Holy Scriptures in our language that we use today?  With God, all things are possible.  

10 minutes ago, BibleBeliever5 said:

Can God give us the Holy Scriptures in our language that we use today?

You could always do what the kings did and write your own updated copy.... That way it can be in your very own version of the English language.

Deuteronomy 17:18-20 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: 19 and it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: 20 that his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

Edited by John Young

5 minutes ago, BibleBeliever5 said:

Let's skip to the bigger question.  Can God give us the Holy Scriptures in our language that we use today?  With God, all things are possible.  

And there it is -- Avoid the question of ACCURACY in order to push your agenda of updating.  You have again revealed your priorities.  

By the way, concerning the matter of accuracy and the "archaic" pronouns, with God indeed all things are possible; and God has already provided an answer -- Bible teachers who teach others the importance and meaning of those pronouns for the sake of accuracy.  (Note: I myself did not know the grammatical significance of ANY pronouns, except that someone first taught me English grammar, so the need to be taught  is NOT an argument against this provision.)  This is the manner by which God made it possible for me to learn their importance and meaning.  This is the manner by which God has made it possible for me to teach others concerning their importance and meaning.

You, on the other hand, do not seem to care, but only seem to want to avoid the subject of their accuracy.  (Note: At this point I remain very uncertain that you even know the grammatical significance/meaning of those pronouns.)

By the way, if a word is a more "archaic" English word, but is still retained in a modern English dictionary, then that word is STILL a part of the language that we use today, even it is only on a rare (or specialized) occasion.  That word (whatever word it may be) has NOT yet been lost from the language altogether.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Since an answer does not seem forthcoming, allow me to provide the grammatical facts concerning the meaning and significance of the "archaic" pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye."

Concerning PERSONAL PRONOUNS in English

1st person personal pronouns are those referring to one's self.
2nd person personal pronouns are those referring to another or others spoken to directly.
3rd person personal pronouns are those referring to another or others spoken about indirectly.

Personal pronouns contain both singular and plural forms for the sake of accuracy, EXCEPT in the case of the 2nd person personal pronouns for present-day English:

Singular                                                                       Plural

1st person --               I (nominative case), me (objective case)               we (nominative case), us (objective case)

2nd person --            you (nominative case), you (objective case)         you (nominative case), you (objective case)

3rd person --              he, she (nominative), him, her (objective)        they (nominative case), them (objective case)

(Note: For present-day English usage, the pronoun "you" serves both for the singular and plural, as well as both for the nominative and objective cases in both the singular and plural.  As such, some element of confusion is possible; and since both the Hebrew and Greek possess distinct forms for the singular and plural 2nd person personal pronouns, some aspect of accuracy would be lost.)

However, personal pronouns contain both singular and plural forms for the sake of accuracy WITHOUT exception if we use the more "archaic" English forms:

Singular                                                                       Plural

1st person --               I (nominative case), me (objective case)               we (nominative case), us (objective case)

2nd person --            thou (nominative case), thee (objective case)         ye (nominative case), you (objective case)

3rd person --              he, she (nominative), him, her (objective)        they (nominative case), them (objective case)

(Note: When using the more "archaic" English personal pronoun forms, the pronouns "thou," "thee," "ye," and "you" each serve in a distinct manner to accurately distinguish the singular and plural, as well as to distinguish the nominative and objective cases in both the singular and plural.  As such, these more "archaic" English personal pronouns in the King James translation retain the precise accuracy of the Hebrew and Greek from which they are translated.) 

This is why I favor the retention of the thees and thous. At the very least an update would have to have subscripts above the 2nd person pronouns with say an "s" or "p" above or in a margin. But I still would lean towards retaining them in the text. I would require something indicating this ifnormation. I have no interest in a update that reduces the amount of grammatical precision of the translation of the KJV.

On 2/3/2021 at 11:16 PM, WellWithMySoul said:

I was responding to the OP, but it still stands for me that though I am not a linguist, I would still use a KJV (not "updated") to translate to the foreign language.

WellWithMySoul,

Thank you for your observation and thoughts. 

You are correct. The KJV is just fine, accurate, simple, loyal to the Greek and Hebrew manuscripts, and adequate to use in translating into foreign languages. 

Alan 

• Members
13 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

This is why I favor the retention of the thees and thous. At the very least an update would have to have subscripts above the 2nd person pronouns with say an "s" or "p" above or in a margin. But I still would lean towards retaining them in the text. I would require something indicating this ifnormation. I have no interest in a update that reduces the amount of grammatical precision of the translation of the KJV.

I agree that the singular/plural information of the second person pronouns should be retained in an update to the KJV.  

1 hour ago, BibleBeliever5 said:

I agree that the singular/plural information of the second person pronouns should be retained in an update to the KJV.  

So, as another has already asked earlier - How would you propose to retain that information if you chose not to use the "archaic" pronouns "thee," "thou," and "ye"?

This thread shows exactly what I was referring to earlier. The KJV is beloved.

I understand the accuracy of "Thee" and "Thou". When one talks today, do you use Thee and Thou? I highly doubt it. However, you are still able to convey the accuracy of what you are speaking of. Thee and Thou is far simpler to use, but there are ways to convey it.

This is also why you can't "Update" the KJV, which is what the Modern KJV, 21st Century KJV, NKJV and a number of other updates did. Notice, I called them updates. A translation cannot come from a translation. A modern translation would require people who are qualified to translate from the original languages into modern English.