• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tobacco Use

• Moderators

So, here is a question I have for consideration.

Generally, I understand that all tobacco use is frowned upon by most believers. Yet, there seems to be a historical acceptance for some uses over others, and I am curious to see what others here have to say on the subject. 

So, clearly, cigarettes, we reject because they are, in general, harmful to the health, with all the garbage and poisons that are added to tobacco in cigarettes, with exception, perhaps, of the "native American" brands, which tend to be pure tobacco, which itself is pretty much harmless.  Also, however, cigarettes are seen as having a bad influence, poor associations-they carry a reputation of rebellion, and therefore we reject them.

Cigars are pure-leaf tobacco, usually no fillers or chemicals added, and are generally not considered harmful to the health. They can carry questionable associations, anything from the 'tough guy' image, (Clint Eastwood/Wolverine, etc) or the very wealthy socialite image. Neither necessarily a negative image. But definitely an association. And of course, we all know Spurgeon was a cigar smoker, which he did to help with pain.

Pipes usually use pure leaf tobaccos, sometimes with added flavors, but no chemicals, and are not considered harmful-these and cigars are not generally inhaled, therefore do no damage to the lungs. Pipe have an association of being used by 'smart' people, Sherlock Holmes, deep readers, professors, or, looking back a few years, the image of 'Dad' coming home from a long day at work, sitting with his pipe to read the newspaper.

So, all this being said, we generally look at things not mentioned in scripture specifically from the perspective of associations, of potential harmfulness, of causing a brother potential to stumble, of generally being harmful to the cause of Christ. It takes discernment on the part of believers to choose what is lawful and acceptable, and what is lawful, but not expedient.  I am curious, how do we here look at this issue, in its various forms and usages. Give me your thoughts. 

• Members

I have never understood why tobacco is viewed in the same vain as things like fornication or drunkenness and what not. 

Not that I think smoking is really the best thing for people.

I don't understand why it's acceptable for someone to be 300 pounds and obese and no one says anything, but if someone smokes they are treated as if they are a fornicator. 

2 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Generally, I understand that all tobacco use is frowned upon by most believers. Yet, there seems to be a historical acceptance for some uses over others, and I am curious to see what others here have to say on the subject. 

So, clearly, cigarettes, we reject because they are, in general, harmful to the health, with all the garbage and poisons that are added to tobacco in cigarettes, with exception, perhaps, of the "native American" brands, which tend to be pure tobacco, which itself is pretty much harmless.  Also, however, cigarettes are seen as having a bad influence, poor associations-they carry a reputation of rebellion, and therefore we reject them.

Cigars are pure-leaf tobacco, usually no fillers or chemicals added, and are generally not considered harmful to the health. They can carry questionable associations, anything from the 'tough guy' image, (Clint Eastwood/Wolverine, etc) or the very wealthy socialite image. Neither necessarily a negative image. But definitely an association. And of course, we all know Spurgeon was a cigar smoker, which he did to help with pain.

Pipes usually use pure leaf tobaccos, sometimes with added flavors, but no chemicals, and are not considered harmful-these and cigars are not generally inhaled, therefore do no damage to the lungs. Pipe have an association of being used by 'smart' people, Sherlock Holmes, deep readers, professors, or, looking back a few years, the image of 'Dad' coming home from a long day at work, sitting with his pipe to read the newspaper.

So, all this being said, we generally look at things not mentioned in scripture specifically from the perspective of associations, of potential harmfulness, of causing a brother potential to stumble, of generally being harmful to the cause of Christ. It takes discernment on the part of believers to choose what is lawful and acceptable, and what is lawful, but not expedient.  I am curious, how do we here look at this issue, in its various forms and usages. Give me your thoughts. 

Cigar smoking is very detrimental to your health. Cigar smoking has been linked to,  cancer of the oral cavity, larynx, esophagus, and lung. It may also cause cancer of the pancreas. Moreover, daily cigar smokers, particularly those who inhale, are at increased risk for developing heart disease and other types of lung disease.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/tobacco/cigars-fact-sheet#:~:text=and other diseases%3F-,Yes.,other types of lung disease.

Pipe smokers also face health risks  pipe smokers face an elevated risk of cancers of the mouth, including the tongue, larynx, and throat. Smokers who inhale pipe smoke also have an elevated risk of lung, pancreatic, and bladder cancer.

Pipe smokers face an increased risk of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). While cigarette smoking is usually the main cause of COPD, other forms of tobacco like pipe-smoking and cigars can also result in tobacco smoke inhalation and damage to delicate lung tissue.
People who smoke pipes might face an elevated risk of death from heart disease, especially those who inhale the smoke. More research needs to be done in this area.

• Members
4 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."

"I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

I remember hearing about a time J. Frank Norris dumped a bunch of cigarette butts in an offering plate and the congregants got upset that he could desecrate the house of God like that. He then pointed out to them their hypocrisy because many of the members smoked and had no problem dumping the garbage in their temples. Great "object lesson", IMO.

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I have never understood why tobacco is viewed in the same vain as things like fornication or drunkenness and what not. 

Not that I think smoking is really the best thing for people.

I don't understand why it's acceptable for someone to be 300 pounds and obese and no one says anything, but if someone smokes they are treated as if they are a fornicator. 

While I agree with your statement, I must first find out why a person is obese, is it from gluttony or a medical condition. I'm pretty sure gluttony is what you were referring to in which I agree. 

As part of my message a few weeks back I talked about gluttony, a few comments came from the crowd that said, "Oh, boy...here we go".  It's a sin in the Bible, I'll preach it just as hard as other sins.

• Members
48 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

While I agree with your statement, I must first find out why a person is obese, is it from gluttony or a medical condition. I'm pretty sure gluttony is what you were referring to in which I agree. 

As part of my message a few weeks back I talked about gluttony, a few comments came from the crowd that said, "Oh, boy...here we go".  It's a sin in the Bible, I'll preach it just as hard as other sins.

Yes. I do know sometimes people have medical conditions. I think having issues with the Thyroid can sometimes cause obesity. And for that reason I never assume anyone overweight is a glutton. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

I don't smoke and I don't chew, and...I don't look down on those who do.

Everything you need to know about nicotine Nicotine: Facts, effects, and addiction (medicalnewstoday.com) "While not cancer-causing or excessively harmful on its own, nicotine is heavily addictive and exposes people to the extremely harmful effects of tobacco dependency."

There is no quitting the addictive effects of nicotene. Only Jesus Christ can remove the poison of nicotene infiltrating every cell of an addicted smoker's body. Yes, confession is good for the soul, it was good for mine. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Mark 7:14-23 KJV
(14)  And when he had called all the people unto him, he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand:
(15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
(16)  If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
(17)  And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.
(18)  And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;
(19)  Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
(20)  And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
(21)
  For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
(22)  Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
(23)  All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 KJV
(19)  What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
(20)  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

This is what I've heard every preacher use, but they leave off verse 18 that negates everything they probably told you.

1 Corinthians 6:18 KJV
(18)  Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

As many preachers will point out "every" means every

Acts 21:25 KJV
(25)  As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

• Members

The Mark 7 passage is referring to food specifically - not to anything else we may put into our bodies, like drugs and alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Tobacco is addicting - even if there were forms of it that were not harmful (which I doubt), it is still addicting, and the Bible teaches we are not to be overcome by anything.

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

As Matt mentioned above, sin is sin - and should be preached against or taught against or stood against, even if it is not as "sinful in the eyes of others or society". All sin is against God. The more we mess with our health, the less we might be potentially used by the Lord (in some capacities).

• Members

Good luck with that. Though I do not see how over exaggerating something else makes the first thing not a sin or any less addictive and harmful.

Personally, if I find I am getting addicted to caffeine (by needing it to function, getting headaches when I do not have it), then that is when I need to cut back or stop consuming it altogether. If you are addicted to food or caffeine, hopefully you will take the necessary steps to deal with this rather than mock or try to sidestep this other issue.

• Members

Is that an accusation, Brother? I don't believe anyone is trying to sidestep anything here, nor do I believe anyone is trying to mock anything. A simple statement of the truth isn't mocking anything.