• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Proud Boys

1 minute ago, SureWord said:

That's funny because there was a Northern Baptist Church in upstate NY where I lived for six years.

Strange they had not changed their name. Or was the church north of a city or landmark. There is no Northern Baptist Convention. That has been no NBC since 1982. Do you remember the full name of the church? Do they have a web site?

I am aware of a North Baptist Church near Corning NY. Is that the church you lived near?

10 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

How about a rich spiritual heritage?

I would think that with a multi-ethnic church you would have to have a rich spiritual heritage. 

Years ago I taught an international Sunday School Class. The richness of the cultures that were present in the class brought rich spiritual thoughts from those different cultures. We had former Muslims, Buddhists, and people who were total non-believers when they started coming to the class. Some came from very hard backgrounds and had suffered greatly in their home countries. 

The Sunday School Class parties were great with an amazing variety of food. I really enjoyed the class members and though they came from vary different cultures they all developed a love for each other and were great together. Maybe that is what heaven will be like. 

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I would think that with a multi-ethnic church you would have to have a rich spiritual heritage. 

Years ago I taught an international Sunday School Class. The richness of the cultures that were present in the class brought rich spiritual thoughts from those different cultures. We had former Muslims, Buddhists, and people who were total non-believers when they started coming to the class. Some came from very hard backgrounds and had suffered greatly in their home countries. 

The Sunday School Class parties were great with an amazing variety of food. I really enjoyed the class members and though they came from vary different cultures they all developed a love for each other and were great together. Maybe that is what heaven will be like. 

While a rich tapestry of cultures is great for general understanding and cultural diversity (and food!), 'rich spiritual thoughts' from pagan cultures/religions have no place in a Bible class... unless you're explaining what the Bible has to say about those pagan ideas (Eph. 5:11). There can be no true unity in a church except through God's truth. Not saying there won't be differences of opinions, but good doctrine is non-negotiable. Jesus' prayer for the unity of the church is centered on with sanctification through the truth of God's Word (John 17).

• Administrators

The Northern Baptist Convention is still very much alive. They changed the name to American Baptist Convention, but it is the same as when it was founded. A simple search online will bring up, not only the convention, but individual churches as well.

52 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

The Northern Baptist Convention is still very much alive. They changed the name to American Baptist Convention, but it is the same as when it was founded. A simple search online will bring up, not only the convention, but individual churches as well.

You are right and that is the term that should be used. It was not used, unless it was about the church named the North Baptist Church near Corning, NY. But that is not a convention or denomination. 

1 hour ago, Salyan said:

While a rich tapestry of cultures is great for general understanding and cultural diversity (and food!), 'rich spiritual thoughts' from pagan cultures/religions have no place in a Bible class... unless you're explaining what the Bible has to say about those pagan ideas (Eph. 5:11). There can be no true unity in a church except through God's truth. Not saying there won't be differences of opinions, but good doctrine is non-negotiable. Jesus' prayer for the unity of the church is centered on with sanctification through the truth of God's Word (John 17).

And we must never confuse culture with Christ.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

And we must never confuse culture with Christ.

No. But when a culture is steeped in false religion, it’s spiritual thoughts will be based from that. And the examples you have weren’t ‘cultures’ (e.g. Arabian, Nepalese), they were religions (Muslim, Buddhist). Just going off the information you provided. ??‍♀️

• Members
6 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

You are right and that is the term that should be used. It was not used, unless it was about the church named the North Baptist Church near Corning, NY. But that is not a convention or denomination. 

No, no where near Corning, NY but nice try.

9 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Multiculturalism is the destruction of a nation. No matter how "rich" a few corporations and oligarchs get from it.

4 hours ago, SureWord said:

No, no where near Corning, NY but nice try.

Multiculturalism is the destruction of a nation. No matter how "rich" a few corporations and oligarchs get from it.

So, what culture do you want to dominate? New England, the Mid Atlantic, Southern, Mid-Western, South Western, Northwestern. And within those regional cultures which culture do you want to dominate, rural, city, white, African American, Native American, Mountain folk?

5 hours ago, Salyan said:

No. But when a culture is steeped in false religion, it’s spiritual thoughts will be based from that. And the examples you have weren’t ‘cultures’ (e.g. Arabian, Nepalese), they were religions (Muslim, Buddhist). Just going off the information you provided. ??‍♀️

Yes, but some also bring a much stronger cultural belief in family and loyalty to others in their group, here being Christian, than what is believed and practiced in our culture. We can learn from others. 

7 hours ago, Salyan said:

Yes, but some also bring a much stronger cultural belief in family and loyalty to others in their group, here being Christian, than what is believed and practiced in our culture. We can learn from others. 

2 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

So, what culture do you want to dominate? New England, the Mid Atlantic, Southern, Mid-Western, South Western, Northwestern. And within those regional cultures which culture do you want to dominate, rural, city, white, African American, Native American, Mountain folk?

Here is a map of the 11 cultural regions within the American nations.

11 Nations