• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

To Attend Or Not To Attend?

Go to solution Solved by HappyChristian,

• Members

My wife & I will take the vaccine ASAP.

We're old enough to remember the scourge of polio before the vaccine, with whole wards full of occupied iron lungs. What a relief it was for my parents when I was vaccinated by Dr. Salk himself, & they received theirs not long after. We see the results today. And smallpox has been completely eliminated. We're not afraid of new vaccines & will get'em as necessary ASAP. Remember, 'twas GOD who enabled man to discover'em.

• Moderators

I am curious if the early church was tempting God to keep them safe when they met, and evangelized while living in an environment when either Jews or Romans might arrest or kill them at any time. 

I wonder if the Chinese or Middle Eastern believers, who have to meet secretly, in danger of arrest, prison or death, are tempting God for meeting.

In fact, we have an excellent 2000 year history of believers choosing to assemble in Jesus' name, and dying for the privilege. Why is this any different? Is God's arm shortened that He cannot save? Can we not say, as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego said, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.  But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up." 

Or maybe we ought to say, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the Covid 19, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O Governor. But if not, be it known unto thee, O Governor, that we will not cower in fear and skip the assembling of ourselves together, , nor bow before the pandemic which thou hast set up."

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. (Job 13:15).

• Administrators
On 12/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, robycop3 said:

My wife & I are at high risk for covid, due to age & medical conditions, & we have decided that attending church indoors while unvaccinated is DARING (tempting) GOD to protect us from covid, that it would be deliberately putting ourselves in danger. There's plenty of preaching & Bible study on TV & local radio, so it's not as if we are forsaking our gathering with other believers. The danger is real, all politicizing aside.

Our pastor said he's considering foregoing live services & posting sermons twice weekly on the net til the pandemic's over, as most of our members have computers & internet service.

What are YOUR thoughts ?

Here is what I tell my members. Pray about it and do what God tells you to do. If God is telling you to stay home, you better stay home and watch the services online. If God is telling you to go, then you better go.  I don't believe there is a one answer solution that fits everyone.

• Members
On 12/28/2020 at 5:20 PM, Ukulelemike said:

I am curious if the early church was tempting God to keep them safe when they met, and evangelized while living in an environment when either Jews or Romans might arrest or kill them at any time. 

I wonder if the Chinese or Middle Eastern believers, who have to meet secretly, in danger of arrest, prison or death, are tempting God for meeting.

In fact, we have an excellent 2000 year history of believers choosing to assemble in Jesus' name, and dying for the privilege. Why is this any different? Is God's arm shortened that He cannot save? Can we not say, as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego said, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.  But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up." 

Or maybe we ought to say, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the Covid 19, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O Governor. But if not, be it known unto thee, O Governor, that we will not cower in fear and skip the assembling of ourselves together, , nor bow before the pandemic which thou hast set up."

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. (Job 13:15).

I mentioned a story I read a while back written by a Korean Christian concerning his experiences during the Korean war. He mentioned about a time he witness a missionary family; husband, wife and children being buried alive for their testimony in Jesus. The father asked the mother as they were being buried if they should renounce their faith and save themselves and children and she said, to paraphrase, they've come this far they weren't going to deny Christ now.

In today's mindset, even among Christians, people would view that decision as evil especially since they could have saved their children.

This story, for some reason, reminds me of what is taking place today in America and the rest of the Western world, at least in type. I guess we've come to a place where going to church will be considered evil because you are allegedly spreading a virus. It's really a brilliant strategy by Satan I have to admit. 

• Administrators
On 12/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, E Morales said:

I'm not sure if you will find a correct anwser here, for many don't even wear mask. I do believe those that are at risk, should not attend church services. Some members saying, I'm sorry you caught COVID after the fact, will not help you or me.

Every year for the past 4 years i'm hospitalized for a week with the flu, How come nobody ever told me they were sorry for not wearing a mask around me? When/if Covid is over, will you stop earing a mask in public? Virus are deadly every year to certain people, so you must publicly wear a mask the rest of your life to protect those folks. 

• Moderators
On 12/31/2020 at 4:28 PM, SureWord said:

I mentioned a story I read a while back written by a Korean Christian concerning his experiences during the Korean war. He mentioned about a time he witness a missionary family; husband, wife and children being buried alive for their testimony in Jesus. The father asked the mother as they were being buried if they should renounce their faith and save themselves and children and she said, to paraphrase, they've come this far they weren't going to deny Christ now.

In today's mindset, even among Christians, people would view that decision as evil especially since they could have saved their children.

This story, for some reason, reminds me of what is taking place today in America and the rest of the Western world, at least in type. I guess we've come to a place where going to church will be considered evil because you are allegedly spreading a virus. It's really a brilliant strategy by Satan I have to admit. 

Well, this is exactly how the majority of Christian history has been for the last 2000 years, and has been continually in some countries. I am sad to suggest that one of the worst things for the church has been freedom of religion, because it has produced some of the worst cults in history, as well as the laziest, most carnal and compromising generation of Christians maybe of all time. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Well, this is exactly how the majority of Christian history has been for the last 2000 years, and has been continually in some countries. I am sad to suggest that one of the worst things for the church has been freedom of religion, because it has produced some of the worst cults in history, as well as the laziest, most carnal and compromising generation of Christians maybe of all time. 

I agree partly. Freedom of religion has produced some crazies for sure but also with freedom of religion comes the freedom to share the truth with a broader group of people and the safety to delve into the bible even deeper without fear of repercussions. I don't see a forum like this forum existing in China or Saudi Arabia.

• Members

I get a flu vaccination every year. I have no kind words for those who reject vaccinations for "religious reasons", as their "reason" is false. After all, JESUS performed many cures by His power, & likely kept the disciples healthy by His power as well, a virtual vaccination.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, robycop3 said:

I get a flu vaccination every year. I have no kind words for those who reject vaccinations for "religious reasons", as their "reason" is false. After all, JESUS performed many cures by His power, & likely kept the disciples healthy by His power as well, a virtual vaccination.

Just like the disciples, I get the virtual vaccination by Jesus too. ?

In all seriousness, I'm not against Vaccines. I'm a firm believer in doing your research before you decide to take a certain vaccine or not. 

• Members
15 hours ago, robycop3 said:

Steelmaker, this is pure nonsense. You might as say that food stamps are "virtual feeding of the 5,000". 

I'm not against vaccinations but you better step back and consider that this isn't a typical vaccination. There's nothing wrong with taking a 'wait and see' aporoach.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, robycop3 said:

I'm sorry, but I would have to disagree with you here. Not about getting the vaccine, which is up to the individual, but about "no kind words" for those who "for religious reason" won't get them. Their reasons for NOT getting vaccines are just as valid as your reasons FOR getting them. Were you not the one who said earlier, "Each, according to the dictates of one's own conscience"? The two postings do not match...

And I gotta say - comparing Jesus' - the Creator of the universe- healings to manmade vaccinations? Nah. Just nah.