• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Strong Delusion

• Members

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie- IIThess. 2:11

There has always been lies and heresies that have caused delusions among those who reject the truth such as evolution but this one seems to be one large, all captivating delusion in particular. One delusion that all the other delusions flow into.

I was wondering what some of you think it may be?

Me, personally, I think it will have something to do with UFOs and "Aliens". I can't think of another way for the world as a whole to be deluded by one sudden event, i.e. the arrival of "outer space visitors", to bring peace and advanced technology, who turn out to really be the "dragon and his angels" in Revelation 12:3,4. Or perhaps, of late, I've been hearing out of the Pentagon of all these reports of UFOs being sighted by the military coming out of the ocean. Rev. 13:1 

I know this is wild but it seems to me this could be the delusion that leads the world to worship the beast. 

• Members

Certainly not ruling out YOUR thoughts on this, but my belief is it could well be the antichrist's pawning himself off as Christ. After all he's gonna declare himself God, & have anyone killed whom he catches refusing to worship him & his statue, or taking his mark.

The rapture will have occurred by then, so there'll be very-few Christians to oppose his views & edicts, & they'll lead a perilous existence, as they can't buy nor sell, & being constantly hunted by the AC's secret police, or being 'ratted out' by other followers of the AC.  Thus, almost the whole population of the world will believe the lie that the AC is Jesus, & follow him-eventually following him into hell!

• Members
6 hours ago, robycop3 said:

Certainly not ruling out YOUR thoughts on this, but my belief is it could well be the antichrist's pawning himself off as Christ. After all he's gonna declare himself God, & have anyone killed whom he catches refusing to worship him & his statue, or taking his mark.

The rapture will have occurred by then, so there'll be very-few Christians to oppose his views & edicts, & they'll lead a perilous existence, as they can't buy nor sell, & being constantly hunted by the AC's secret police, or being 'ratted out' by other followers of the AC.  Thus, almost the whole population of the world will believe the lie that the AC is Jesus, & follow him-eventually following him into hell!

Yes,  he will be proclaiming himself to be above all gods so it will be beyond just claiming to be Christ, Muhammad, Buddha, Moshiach, Krishna, etc. all wrapped in one. It just seems to me that people are so primed for the "visitors from outer" delusion. 

• Members

I hold that "the lie" is that of the antichrist claiming to be God and requiring all of the world to worship him.  I hold this view as per the following:

2 Thessalonians 2:4 (in the immediate context of 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12) -- "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

2 Thessalonians 2:9-10 (in the immediate context of 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12) -- "Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, and with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved."

Revelation 13:3-9 -- "And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.  And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? Who is able to make war with him?  And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.  And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.  And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nationsAnd ALL that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.  If any man have an ear, let him hear."

Throughout these passages one particular lie is central, and God's Word reveals that ALL unbelievers on the earth at that time WILL yield to that one central lie - so as to worship the antichrist.  This is point of the "strong delusion" in 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12, that ALL unbelievers on the earth will be moved by God's work of "strong delusion" to believe "the lie."  In fact, the above Biblical evidence is the reason that I do NOT hold that the "strong delusion" event will occur at the beginning of the seven year Tribulation, but that it will occur at the MIDDLE of the seven year Tribulation.

• Members
On 12/25/2020 at 11:17 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I hold that "the lie" is that of the antichrist claiming to be God and requiring all of the world to worship him.  I hold this view as per the following:

2 Thessalonians 2:4 (in the immediate context of 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12) -- "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

2 Thessalonians 2:9-10 (in the immediate context of 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12) -- "Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, and with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved."

Revelation 13:3-9 -- "And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.  And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? Who is able to make war with him?  And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.  And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.  And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nationsAnd ALL that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.  If any man have an ear, let him hear."

Throughout these passages one particular lie is central, and God's Word reveals that ALL unbelievers on the earth at that time WILL yield to that one central lie - so as to worship the antichrist.  This is point of the "strong delusion" in 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12, that ALL unbelievers on the earth will be moved by God's work of "strong delusion" to believe "the lie."  In fact, the above Biblical evidence is the reason that I do NOT hold that the "strong delusion" event will occur at the beginning of the seven year Tribulation, but that it will occur at the MIDDLE of the seven year Tribulation.

I agree, Pastor.

My point is that the Devil won't show up saying, "Hey, I'm Satan, worship me". He could show up saying "We have come to save your planet and bring peace". And an easy way to pull this off and to get everyone to reject not just the true God, but everything named god, would be to show up suddenly saying "Greetings earthlings, we are your creators". That could cause a sudden and massive falling away at one time from all religions. 

There's no doubt many of people have seen UFOs, including Presidents, Generals, Police, Aircraft pilots, ministers, etc not just trailer hillbillies. I just watched an interview with the F-18 pilot who saw one of those things up close, with the other pilots with him, over the Pacific during the daytime and seen how incredibly fast they can maneuver. 

Edited by SureWord

• Members
2 hours ago, SureWord said:

I agree, Pastor.

My point is that the Devil won't show up saying, "Hey, I'm Satan, worship me".

I understand your point.  However, IF my understanding for the timing of the "strong delusion" event is correct (the MIDDLE of the seven year Tribulation), then the following factors will be in play at that time -

1.  The antichrist will already have been in power (although not claiming to be divine) for the previous 3.5 years.  (Note: I hold that the first "horseman" from the first "seal judgment," as per Revelation 6:1-2, IS the antichrist himself.)

2.  Over the first 3.5 years of the Tribulation, the people of the earth will recognize the judgment hand of God (as per Revelation 6:15-17), but will grow in ever increasing rebellion against the true God's authority (as per Revelation 9:20-21).

3.  At the mid-point of the Tribulation, the antichrist will be the one who is granted power to kill the two prophets of God (which will seem as supernatural power, considering what happened to anyone else who had previously attempted to harm those two prophets), thus relieving the people of the world from the "torment" of those two prophets (as per Revelation 11:7-10).

4.  At this mid-point of the Tribulation, the antichrist will be "wounded to death," but will be healed from "his deadly wound," so that the people of the world will "wonder" at him and his seemingly supernatural power.

5.  At this mid-point of the seven year Tribulation, the antichrist will be empowered supernaturally by the devil himself.

6.  At this mid-point of the seven year Tribulation period, power will be given to the antichrist (presumably by the devil himself, in accord with God's permissive will) "over ALL kindreds, and tongues, and nations."

7.  At this mid-point of the seven year Tribulation, the False Prophet (the second Beast of Revelation 13:11-14) will be performing an abundance of miracles, all in order to verify the "deity" of the antichrist.

8.  At this mid-point of the seven year Tribulation, the False Prophet will convince the people of the world to build an great image (statue) of the antichrist, and he will empower that image to come to life, to speak, and to make judgments in favor the antichrist.

9.  And if all of this was not enough, the Lord God of heaven and earth Himself, the Almighty Creator God, will send a "strong delusion" into the hearts of every unbeliever at that time, such that they will be compelled to believe "the lie" of the antichrist - claiming to be God.  (Indeed, who could possibly resist the hand of Almighty God.)

With all of this in play, I really do not believe that any other "stories" will need to be circulated.  It seems to me that all of this will be plenty for the lost, rebellious people of the world to follow and worship the antichrist.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

I agree with you that he'll be revealed for who he is during the middle of the tribulation. It's possible we might already be seeing him and not realize but I agree with you on the rest. I was just thinking how he might pull it off besides him displaying miracles and power.

It is possible they will know he's the devil incarnate and be willingly deluded into thinking all will turn out OK despite they're knowingly worshipping the beast.

Maybe both scenarios will happen simultaneously. 

• Members

It is possible they will know he's the devil incarnate and be willingly deluded into thinking all will turn out OK despite they're knowingly worshipping the beast.

I am not sure if they will know or not.  However, according to Psalm 2 the rulers and people of this world are always looking for any possible way to break and cast away the sovereign authority of God the Father and His anointed Son.  Thus I can imagine that when the antichrist appears to provide them with just such a means (whether they are aware of his empowerment by Satan or not), they will chase it with all of their energy.  In fact, I can imagine that even if they are aware of Satan's involvement, if Satan and/or the antichrist promises "freedom," then they would chase it by this means even knowing who is behind it.

Maybe both scenarios will happen simultaneously. 

Indeed, it is possible.  I would not rule it out; however, I prefer to emphasize what I know with certainty by the revelation of God's Word.