• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvanism

Go to solution Solved by Pastor Scott Markle,

• Members

I agree with Calvin on one point of the 'TULIP'...
Total Depravity of Man - Jeremiah 17:9, Ephesians 2:12
I don't agree with Calvin on...
Unconditional Election,
Limited Atonement,
Irresistible Grace,
Perseverance of the Saints.

I agree with Arminius on four points...
Free Will or Human Ability - Romans 10:9, Revelation 22:17
Conditional Election - John 3:36
Universal Redemption or General Atonement - 2 Corinthians 5:15, John 2:2, Hebrews 10:10
The Holy Spirit Can Be Resisted - Acts 7:51, 2 Timothy 3:8
I don't agree with Arminius on...
Falling from Grace - John 14:3, 1 Thessalonians 4:17, Hebrews 7:25, John 10:29, Romans 8:38-39

So, I'm neither of the above I'm a Bible believing Christian.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
47 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I agree with Calvin on one point of the 'TULIP'...
Total Depravity of Man - Jeremiah 17:9, Ephesians 2:12
I don't agree with Calvin on...
Unconditional Election,
Limited Atonement,
Irresistible Grace,
Perseverance of the Saints.

I agree with Arminius on four points...
Free Will or Human Ability - Romans 10:9, Revelation 22:17
Conditional Election - John 3:36
Universal Redemption or General Atonement - 2 Corinthians 5:15, John 2:2, Hebrews 10:10
The Holy Spirit Can Be Resisted - Acts 7:51, 2 Timothy 3:8
I don't agree with Arminius on...
Falling from Grace - John 14:3, 1 Thessalonians 4:17, Hebrews 7:25, John 10:29, Romans 8:38-39

So, I'm neither of the above I'm a Bible believing Christian.

Calvin taught "Total Inability" of man or at least that's what his followers like Loraine Boettner taught. Most Calvinists hold that heretical point today. I'm not sure about Calvin himself. Sometimes the followers of a particular theologian/preacher take his teachings farther than he ever intended. I believe the same can be said for John Wesley. I've never read his writings either but I've heard he never explicitly said a saint could lose his salvation only that it appeared so in scripture. But his followers, like in Holiness or Wesleyan churches, have a believer losing their salvation over just about anything such as watching TV or wearing pantyhose. A Baptist pastor friend of mine who was once Holiness told me about this.

Anyway, Total Inability is not the same as Total Depravity. Total Inability says that man is so depraved he can't even exercise freewill to believe the gospel.

• Members
8 hours ago, SureWord said:

Calvin taught "Total Inability" of man or at least that's what his followers like Loraine Boettner taught. Most Calvinists hold that heretical point today. I'm not sure about Calvin himself. Sometimes the followers of a particular theologian/preacher take his teachings farther than he ever intended. I believe the same can be said for John Wesley. I've never read his writings either but I've heard he never explicitly said a saint could lose his salvation only that it appeared so in scripture. But his followers, like in Holiness or Wesleyan churches, have a believer losing their salvation over just about anything such as watching TV or wearing pantyhose. A Baptist pastor friend of mine who was once Holiness told me about this.

Anyway, Total Inability is not the same as Total Depravity. Total Inability says that man is so depraved he can't even exercise freewill to believe the gospel.

Then there are the 7 point Calvinists, who follow John Piper. However the 'total depravity' of a lost soul, I could identify with. All humanity requires a redeemer...redeemed how I love to proclaim it!

• Members
On 6/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, 1Timothy115 said:

Then there are the 7 point Calvinists, who follow John Piper. However the 'total depravity' of a lost soul, I could identify with. All humanity requires a redeemer...redeemed how I love to proclaim it!

Calvinist doctrine takes "total depravity" to the extreme that the sinner is so depraved that he cannot respond to the gospel without the "irresistible grace" to force him come to Christ. I may not have worded that exactly right but that's it in a nutshell. Some of them call it "total inability". Yes, concerning those extra 2 points, I would say John Piper is a more "honest" calvinist. With one of those points he basically teaches that God specifically created/predetermined the non- elect to burn in Hell for God's glory. That is a cold. dead religion right there. And it is blasphemy to the character of God.