• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvanism

Go to solution Solved by Pastor Scott Markle,

• Members
  • Solution
1 hour ago, Baptistsenior said:

I asked my old IFB Pastor once if we were Calvanist or Arminian  I won't tell his answer cause I want your thoughts  

So, are you asking what I would consider myself?  If so, I would answer --

1.  I am a ZERO point Calvinist (in relation to the doctrine of salvation).
2.  I am a THREE point Arminian (in relation to the doctrine of salvation) (because three of the points are mutually exclusive, being an either/or proposition, having no third option).
3.  I am TWO points neither, and thus am not actually either Calvinist or Arminian in my doctrinal system (in relation to the doctrine of salvation). 
4.  In fact, I would simply say that I seek to be Biblical in my system of belief, and thus will hold to any point from any system that I find to be Biblical, but will stand contrary to any point from any system that I find to be unbiblical.  (Note: This includes whether I find a point to be unbiblical in the Calvinist system, Arminian system, or even Fundamental Baptist system.  I am not bound under the authority of any system or movement.  Rather, I am bound under the authority of GOD'S HOLY WORD!!!)

• Members
35 minutes ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I fail to see any truth in that statement. 

I explained what the preacher meant in another thread. He was being tongue-in-cheek.

He was inferring that a man has freewill (Arminian) to reject Christ's gift of salvation ("before the cross") but no freewill (Calvinism) to reject Christ after he has been saved ("after the cross).

Therefore, concerning the question whether he was Arminian or Calvinist he said:

"Arminian before the cross, Calvinist after the cross".

Edited by SureWord

• Members
On 1/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, SureWord said:

I explained what the preacher meant in another thread. He was being tongue-in-cheek.

He was inferring that a man has freewill (Arminian) to reject Christ's gift of salvation ("before the cross") but no freewill (Calvinism) to reject Christ after he has been saved ("after the cross).

Therefore, concerning the question whether he was Arminian or Calvinist he said:

"Arminian before the cross, Calvinist after the cross".

Oh OK friend, I thought you were trying to imply that salvation was by works in the old testament and by grace in the new which the Bible absolutely does not teach.

• Members
On 1/8/2021 at 8:28 PM, Jordan Kurecki said:

Oh OK friend, I thought you were trying to imply that salvation was by works in the old testament and by grace in the new which the Bible absolutely does not teach.

No, but Scofield and others did!

• 4 months later...
  • Members
On 12/23/2020 at 9:48 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

So, are you asking what I would consider myself?  If so, I would answer --

1.  I am a ZERO point Calvinist (in relation to the doctrine of salvation).
2.  I am a THREE point Arminian (in relation to the doctrine of salvation) (because three of the points are mutually exclusive, being an either/or proposition, having no third option).
3.  I am TWO points neither, and thus am not actually either Calvinist or Arminian in my doctrinal system (in relation to the doctrine of salvation). 
4.  In fact, I would simply say that I seek to be Biblical in my system of belief, and thus will hold to any point from any system that I find to be Biblical, but will stand contrary to any point from any system that I find to be unbiblical.  (Note: This includes whether I find a point to be unbiblical in the Calvinist system, Arminian system, or even Fundamental Baptist system.  I am not bound under the authority of any system or movement.  Rather, I am bound under the authority of GOD'S HOLY WORD!!!)

Love this answer.    Okay when I asked my old Pastor whether we were Calvanist or Armenian, he replied neither we are Baptist they existed before and along side the other two and the other two spent time trying to kill the Baptists 

• Members
4 hours ago, Baptistsenior said:

Love this answer.    Okay when I asked my old Pastor whether we were Calvanist or Armenian, he replied neither we are Baptist they existed before and along side the other two and the other two spent time trying to kill the Baptists 

When were Armenians ever trying to kill Baptists? I don't recall. I know Calvinists persecuted Baptists but followers of Jacob Arminius never did. Unless you are referring to papists but they aren't Armenians in the true sense of the word.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, Yeshuafan said:

No, but Scofield and others did!

Scofield never taught salvation by works in the OT. Others do but not Scofield. 

Where do people come up with this stuff?

1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

Maybe not, but he DID teach the heretical Gap theory, so...

I am not defending or condemning the gap theory. Just musing.  I do not see how it can be condemned as heresy as time is not mentioned between versus 1 and 2 in Genesis one. Hmmm, maybe I should start a new thread on this.