• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prophets

• Members
2 hours ago, Baptistsenior said:

I've been hearing alot more about modern day prophets, what does people here think about prophets?  

They'll pop up again during the Tribulation but not now. The prophets and apostles laid the foundation of the church but we have moved on from that. The Cornerstone is about to be added, IMHO. 

• Members
5 hours ago, SureWord said:

They'll pop up again during the Tribulation but not now. The prophets and apostles laid the foundation of the church but we have moved on from that. The Cornerstone is about to be added, IMHO. 

Imo the tribulation has started. So my question to you is why do you think prophets will be during the tribulation?

Also what do you mean "The cornerstone", is that not Christ?

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members
13 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Imo the tribulation has started. So my question to you is why do you think prophets will be during the tribulation?

Also what do you mean "The cornerstone", is that not Christ?

The Tribulation hasn't started. We the church will be gone, pulled out of this world like Enoch, when that time period begins. We are presently most likely living in the "latter days" that Paul spoke of. The Tribulation will be far worse than any period in history, even the days of Noah when God destroyed the earth. If we shut off our TVs and computers we'll realize things aren't quite that bad right now as it seems (imagine living in Europe during WWII, Cambodia during Pol Pot's massacres or Central Asia during Genghis Khan's invasions) we are just continuously bombarded everyday through the News with every horrible event imaginable but we've yet to flee into the mountains because some revolutionaries wants to behead us or fallen angels want to eat our flesh. But I do think we are getting close. Before the Great Tribulation there has to be a "falling away" first which would be a mass apostasy of the church worldwide before these things happen. My guess is that it will be a sudden event, maybe a worldwide persecution, that will get Christians en masse to deny Christ and walk no more with him.

I find it interesting that in John 6:66 (yes, 666) there was a "falling away" after Jesus told them he was the "Bread of Heaven" and they needed to eat his flesh and drink his blood. They could not understand that our Lord was speaking metaphorically here so "many disciples" turned away. This is also when Jesus told the disciples that one of them "is a devil", referring to Judas Iscariot, who incidentally, is the only other individual in the word of God besides the Antichrist who is called "the son of perdition".

Somehow this all ties together, IMO.

Also, Jesus is the "cornerstone" and I was just suggesting that if the temple (Eph. 2:20,21) is shaped like a pyramid then the cornerstone can be placed on top as a capstone or "headstone"- Luke 20:17. Our Lord coming to receive his finished temple would be like the final stone being put on the top of the building.

Edited by SureWord

• Administrators

Heb 1:1  God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

• Members
On 12/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, Baptistsenior said:

I've been hearing alot more about modern day prophets, what does people here think about prophets?  

In the New testament the word Prophet (προφήτης) can mean either a speaker or someone who predicts the future. Since the Bible mentions a lot of things that hasn't happened yet, whenever we tell people about the prophecies of the Bible, we are literally acting as a prophet. 

Yes, there are people who profess the truths of God, and in that meaning of the word they are modern day prophets. 

And also there are people who warn about the things the Bible say will happen, so they also are prophets of God. 

But I think what you really mean are those who claim to know of future events not mentioned in the Bible. The Bible is very clear about such people. If they are truly a prophet of God, then God will give them things to say that will prove they are from God. But if they predict something that doesn't come true, it's a sign that they are not of God. Some charismatic denominations get a bit over enthusiastic about prophecy and will predict things, and then ignore when the predictions don't come true, meaning they are more interested in pretending to be prophets than actually following God's word.

• Moderators

Technically, a prophet was someone who spoke the revelations of God to the people, be it to God's people, or the lost, like Jonah. However, we are not given fresh revelation today, but we HAVE God's revealed word in scripture, to technically, when a preacher stands to speak God's word, he is a prophet. Prophets didn't have to just speak future events, but any of God's word revealed to them. Preachers are being spoken of in 1Cor 14 when it says that the prophets will speak two or three, and the others will judge: these are preachers preaching, and others listening were to judge whether what they spoke was God's word, or not. Today many churches disobey this command of service, and place their preachers on untouchable pedestals, as we saw with such men as Jack Hyles, who was not to be questioned or disagreed with.