Jump to content
Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

    • By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
         11
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Wise words about COVID

Rate this topic


Bouncing Bill
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, SureWord said:

99% survival rate 69 and under (99.9 in children)

96.4 survival rate 69 and older. 

If you fill a nursing home or a respiratory rehabilitation facility for the elderly with Covid-19 patients most likely people will die. 

I am sure that is comforting to the 250,000+ families of people who have died. And, your reply is not on topic. Is it better to be six feet apart or six feet under?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
16 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Your reply is totally off the topic. 

Would you rather be 6 feet apart or 6 feet under?

I don't see his reply as off topic. Anyways, I guess with the situation that you are mentioning that no-one should leave the house ever since here is so much more danger out of the house than in it

Then again lots of people die in their own house... what am I to do make sure I don't die?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

I don't see his reply as off topic. Anyways, I guess with the situation that you are mentioning that no-one should leave the house ever since here is so much more danger out of the house than in it

Then again lots of people die in their own house... what am I to do make sure I don't die?

It was a simply question from the advice. Is it better to be 6 feet apart or 6 feet under. Seems a simply question to me.

Frankly, I would rather be 6, 12, 18 feet apart than 6 feet under. 

Edited by Bouncing Bill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Aw...but if it were my appointed time, to have my body 6 feet under is nothing compared to being present with my Saviour!  In the meantime, I shall do all I can to redeem the time desiring to glorify Him and to share the glory and grace of His gift of salvation with others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, WellWithMySoul said:

Aw...but if it were my appointed time, to have my body 6 feet under is nothing compared to being present with my Saviour!  In the meantime, I shall do all I can to redeem the time desiring to glorify Him and to share the glory and grace of His gift of salvation with others.

Does that include distancing yourself from other so that you not only protect yourself, but also protect them? Just curious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

 

31 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

It was a simply question from the advice. Is it better to be 6 feet apart or 6 feet under. Seems a simply question to me.

Frankly, I would rather be 6, 12, 18 feet apart than 6 feet under. 

I don't see how 6' or 18' makes a difference. Does covid measure distance to find those to infect? I thought it was an airborne virus which means you can't walk in the same are area someone else did that was infected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Dear man, when the Lord Jesus Christ gives opportunity to share Him, there's nothing that can "compare" to the work of the blessed Spirit!  There are many, many ways to shine Him on aside from face to face!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Covid Statistics

 

Copyright © 2020 The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System.

Infections:

COVID-19: Approximately 1,997,321 cases worldwide; 609,685 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 15, 2020.*
Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths:

COVID-19: Approximately 127,601 deaths reported worldwide; 26,059 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 15, 2020.*
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Here are some other worldwide numbers to consider, as of 4/15/2020:

  • 3,750,391 people have died from other communicable diseases, in the first 4 months of 2020. The communicable disease number is nearly 136X the COVID-19 death toll for the US during the same period.
  • 140,517 deaths from seasonal flu;
  • 1,444,218 deaths from smoking;
  • 389,985 deaths from traffic accidents;
  • 2,372,725 deaths caused by cancer;
  • 309,803 deaths by suicide;  
  • 722,573 deaths from alcohol abuse.

None of the tragic numbers in the above statistics warranted the economic shutdown of our entire economy. Yet, these statistics are many times more than the COVID-19 death toll.

Dennis Linthicum
Oregon State Senate 28

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Covid Statistics

 

Copyright © 2020 The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System.

Infections:

COVID-19: Approximately 1,997,321 cases worldwide; 609,685 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 15, 2020.*
Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths:

COVID-19: Approximately 127,601 deaths reported worldwide; 26,059 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 15, 2020.*
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Here are some other worldwide numbers to consider, as of 4/15/2020:

  • 3,750,391 people have died from other communicable diseases, in the first 4 months of 2020. The communicable disease number is nearly 136X the COVID-19 death toll for the US during the same period.
  • 140,517 deaths from seasonal flu;
  • 1,444,218 deaths from smoking;
  • 389,985 deaths from traffic accidents;
  • 2,372,725 deaths caused by cancer;
  • 309,803 deaths by suicide;  
  • 722,573 deaths from alcohol abuse.

None of the tragic numbers in the above statistics warranted the economic shutdown of our entire economy. Yet, these statistics are many times more than the COVID-19 death toll.

Dennis Linthicum
Oregon State Senate 28

Jim, I'm curious. Why post info. that is 7 months old? As of yesterday the CDC published the number of 11,843,480 cases in the USA. with deaths of 263,600. 

WHO reported there have been 57,882,183 cases in the world with 1,377,395 deaths as of Nov. 20, 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I posted it simply because I just found it. It was relevant at that time and the numbers are still relevant. They proved at that time that there were significantly more deaths from flu that Covid for that time period. That has not changed and no amount of hype or proven inaccurate testing can change it. 

And it is relevant now, months later, because the main point of that post was that there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world. Covid19 has a 99% recovery rate and the flu recovery rate pales by comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I posted it simply because I just found it. It was relevant at that time and the numbers are still relevant. They proved at that time that there were significantly more deaths from flu that Covid for that time period. That has not changed and no amount of hype or proven inaccurate testing can change it. 

And it is relevant now, months later, because the main point of that post was that there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world. Covid19 has a 99% recovery rate and the flu recovery rate pales by comparison.

I figured you had a good reason to post the April numbers. Was just curious.

There are far more deaths this yes to Covid than to flu. We do have shots for flu, but some will not take them. That is their choice. A 99% recovery rate does not do much for the grief for the families and friends of the over 250,000 who have died. 

I do not agree that the first post indicates there has never been anything like Covid in the past. The Black Death that sweep through Europe comes to mind as well as the Spanish Flu in 1918 and 1919. I read a piece my mother wrote about that flu. She said there was a line of wagons running day and night taking bodies to the cemetery for burial. 

It is interesting, if you look into the history of the reactions to the pandemic of 1918 you discover they have the same opinions and discussions we are now having with this one.

All the OP was did was ask two simple questions. It was not a philosophical or political post IMYO.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I did not say that there has never been anything like Covid in the past. I said that "there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world" I stand by it.

The  grief regarding the families who have lost loved ones is tragic, no one is insensitive to this. But the numbers that are supposedly attributed to Covid are faulty in that, many people who have died actually died from underlying existing health problems. Just because they had Covid markers when they died does not mean they died from Covid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I did not say that there has never been anything like Covid in the past. I said that "there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world" I stand by it.

The  grief regarding the families who have lost loved ones is tragic, no one is insensitive to this. But the numbers that are supposedly attributed to Covid are faulty in that, many people who have died actually died from underlying existing health problems. Just because they had Covid markers when they died does not mean they died from Covid. 

You are probably correct in that countries have not been shut down before. That does not mean they should not be shut down now nor does it mean they should not have shutdown. I do not know enough to either condemn or praise the shutdown. IMHO there is not enough information available to determine if it was wise or foolish. Only history can help us make such a determination.

We will never know what would have happened if there had been no shutdown. We do know that the pandemic has spread rapidly as states opened up their economies. The Mayo Clinic published an interesting article on the long-term effects of COVID. To what extent should this influence government reactions. I don't know. We know a lot about the results of flu. We have little information the on the aftermath of COVID. It seems it is really hard on some people. To what extent does this make COVID an acceptable risk or not. I don't know. 

I hope no one on the board had to find out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
11 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

You are probably correct in that countries have not been shut down before. That does not mean they should not be shut down now nor does it mean they should not have shutdown. I do not know enough to either condemn or praise the shutdown. IMHO there is not enough information available to determine if it was wise or foolish. Only history can help us make such a determination.

We will never know what would have happened if there had been no shutdown. We do know that the pandemic has spread rapidly as states opened up their economies. The Mayo Clinic published an interesting article on the long-term effects of COVID. To what extent should this influence government reactions. I don't know. We know a lot about the results of flu. We have little information the on the aftermath of COVID. It seems it is really hard on some people. To what extent does this make COVID an acceptable risk or not. I don't know. 

I hope no one on the board had to find out.

Bill, why don't you just get yourself a biohazard suit, oxygen tent and stay inside your home never leaving. You might catch a cold if you don't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...