• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist World Mission Board

• Members

The doctrinal statement on the Bible on the Baptist World Mission Board.

Although the Scriptures were penned under the unerring guidance of the Holy Spirit, it does not follow, that a continued miracle has been wrought to preserve them from all error in transcribing.  On the contrary, we know that manuscripts differ from each other; and where readings are various, but one of them can be correct.  A miracle was needed in the original production of the Scriptures; and, accordingly a miracle was wrought; but the preservation of the inspired word, in as much as perfection as was necessary to answer the purpose for which it was given, did not require a miracle, and accordingly it was committed to the providence of God.  Yet the providence which has preserved the divine oracles, has been special and remarkable...The consequence is, that, although the various readings found in the existing manuscripts, are numerous, we are able, in every case, or the directions of our practice in every important particular.  So little, after all, do the copies differ from each other, that these minute differences, when viewed in contrast with their general agreement, render the fact of that agreement the more impressive, and may be said to serve practically, rather to increase, than impair our confidence in their general correctness.

This statement presents us with several amazing ideas:

1.  While it mattered enough to God to give his words perfectly the first time, it did not concern Him that they would be immediately lost to all humanity from that day forward.

2.  Degrees of perfection are proposed...as perfect as necessary...as perfect as the situation required...as perfect as was needed to                accomplish the purpose. Isn't it perfect or not?  Isn't that the very soul and definition of perfection?         

3.  While they claim to believe in inerrancy and perfection of God's holy word, what they really believe is that it is "generally correct" while filled with errors of a sort that don't cloud major doctrines.  They claim "in every case" to be able to "determine the correct reading" at least in the "important particulates."

4.  Preservation is not a continued miracle but it is "special and remarkable" and has produced an imperfect perfection..."our confidence in their general correctness."

This from the BAPTIST World Mission Board...I pray the day does not come where I can no longer proudly proclaim I am Baptist because doing so would associate me with such as this.

Garry

In His Grace.  By His power.  For His glory.

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 10/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, 2bLikeJesus said:

The doctrinal statement on the Bible on the Baptist World Mission Board.

Although the Scriptures were penned under the unerring guidance of the Holy Spirit, it does not follow, that a continued miracle has been wrought to preserve them from all error in transcribing.  On the contrary, we know that manuscripts differ from each other; and where readings are various, but one of them can be correct.  A miracle was needed in the original production of the Scriptures; and, accordingly a miracle was wrought; but the preservation of the inspired word, in as much as perfection as was necessary to answer the purpose for which it was given, did not require a miracle, and accordingly it was committed to the providence of God.  Yet the providence which has preserved the divine oracles, has been special and remarkable...The consequence is, that, although the various readings found in the existing manuscripts, are numerous, we are able, in every case, or the directions of our practice in every important particular.  So little, after all, do the copies differ from each other, that these minute differences, when viewed in contrast with their general agreement, render the fact of that agreement the more impressive, and may be said to serve practically, rather to increase, than impair our confidence in their general correctness.

This statement presents us with several amazing ideas:

1.  While it mattered enough to God to give his words perfectly the first time, it did not concern Him that they would be immediately lost to all humanity from that day forward.

2.  Degrees of perfection are proposed...as perfect as necessary...as perfect as the situation required...as perfect as was needed to                accomplish the purpose. Isn't it perfect or not?  Isn't that the very soul and definition of perfection?         

3.  While they claim to believe in inerrancy and perfection of God's holy word, what they really believe is that it is "generally correct" while filled with errors of a sort that don't cloud major doctrines.  They claim "in every case" to be able to "determine the correct reading" at least in the "important particulates."

4.  Preservation is not a continued miracle but it is "special and remarkable" and has produced an imperfect perfection..."our confidence in their general correctness."

This from the BAPTIST World Mission Board...I pray the day does not come where I can no longer proudly proclaim I am Baptist because doing so would associate me with such as this.

Garry

In His Grace.  By His power.  For His glory.

So does this mean we should not support missionaries sent from BWM or just not support the board itself?