• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should Christians Claim Tax Deductions for Charitable Giving?

• Members

So, recently I began pondering whether Christians should claim a tax deduction for charitable giving, meaning specifically to your local church or other Christ-centered ministry.  I don’t mean to suggest it’s wrong, per se.  More, I wonder if “we have our reward”, so to speak via the tax deduction.

I don’t really have much of an opinion; I’m still pondering this through.

What do y’all think?

• Members

Only if they are itemizing. I always took the "standard deduction" as my items were always less than the standard. However, all Americans, not just Christians, should deduct everything they legally can, so that they then can have as much of their own money as possible to disperse as they feel led. No if someone wants to give more of their hard earned money to the government, well that is their prerogative, though, in my opinion, a foolish one.

Edited by John Young

• Moderators

Well, we give, then we deduct from taxes and (if we have given enough) we get a refund on our giving, effectively getting back part of our gift to God. I would do so only if we calculate that and give that part of our return to the Lord, as well. 

So if I have given, say, $10k to the church over the year, and receive a deduction of, maybe $1k, that 1K should go to the church, NOT recorded for tax purposes, just a gift. 

In my ever-so-humble opinion, of course.

• Moderators

As to the issue of whether or not they “have their reward”, are doing it “to be seen of men”? Probably not, only 2-4 people are likely to know (unless they use an accountant or are audited.) If they do as one man I knew of many years ago who had his check sticking out of his shirt pocket with the dollar figure (on the right side of the check) visible as he shook hands around the church (of over 1000 people) - well, he already received his reward!

• Members
7 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

of whether or not they “have their reward”,

I think someone who goes extremely paranoid to the point that they must hid everything they do for or give to God for fear someone might see it and praise them and thereby "steal their rewards", thinks too much of themselves and in a way also has their reward in their ability to hid their christian works.

We shouldn't worry about what others see us give or what they see us do. We should however so shine that when they do see those deeds that we do they will turn and praise God.

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Edited by John Young

• 2 weeks later...