• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Were gentiles ever commanded to observe the Sabbath ?

4 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

That sounds very good and all, but that isn't the same thing as the observance of the Sabbath as a holy day. God sanctified the seventh day; HE set it as different from other days, though that would not have any effect on mankind until Exodus 16-what you are doing, in saying you consider every day as holy, tells me you don't understand either what God did, or what the word 'holy' means. 

Now, if you tell me that you consider every day as a day set apart for God, I agree with that; but in the context of the Sabbath, the seventh day, it isn't the same thing. For the Jews it was clearly set apart as a day that they did no servile work, no labor, stayed home and worshiped God as a family. If you wish to make every day as the Sabbath, when will you work? You can't have seven Sabbaths, as it were, else you are not seeing to your duty to labor on the other days.

So bottom line, you still are skirting the actual question of the OP.

I understand what God did and I am exceedingly thankful that he gave me life. Thus, I consider every day holy and a sabbath that I should live as much as I can in a way that pleases and glorifies him. There is no break in living for him, thus I consider each day as a holy sabbath. After all, I may not live to the next Saturday. 

You do realize don't you that Saturday is, according to the Bible, the sabbath. But we celebrate Christ on the day he rose. Thus, that, to me also makes every day a holy sabbath. I do not conduct myself one way on the traditional sabbath or Sunday. Every day must be live to its fullest for God.

• Members
On 10/13/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

Bouncing Bill,
re:  " But we celebrate Christ on the day he rose."

If you're referring to the 1st day of the week, any thoughts on why scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing that?

21 hours ago, rstrats said:

Bouncing Bill,
re:  " But we celebrate Christ on the day he rose."

If you're referring to the 1st day of the week, any thoughts on why scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing that?

No, no thoughts other than the NT writers never thought about it and continued to use Saturday as the sabbath.

There is an interesting article on this topic at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_in_Christianity#:~:text=On March 7%2C 321%2C however,venerable day of the sun.

• Members

I believe Col. 2:16 sums it up. If one wishes to observe saturday sabbath, fine, but don't expect others to, or criticize them for not doing it. Same for us who attend church on Sunday. Let us not criticize Saturday sabbath-keepers. "Each according to the dictates of one's conscience."

• Members

Bouncing Bill,
re:  "No, no thoughts other than the NT writers never thought about it..."

It just seems odd that something considered so important to Christian practice as the observance of the first day of  the week in honor of the resurrection is ignored during the 50 plus years of New Testament writings. 

• Moderators
On 10/18/2020 at 9:27 AM, robycop3 said:

That's its actual meaning. The words are from a Norman Rockwell painting.

Rom 14:5 :"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." 

I just taught on this last Sunday, when teaching on holidays Christians should and shouldn't observe, how it is often misused to say we can celebrate anything so long as we are good with it.  The point you are making concerning the Sabbath is correct, from this passage, and the context it is found in. Not sure I like the Rockwell quote, rather than just using scripture, since that is where we are coming from, but the meaning works-as long as we are observing something like the Sabbath with understanding that it is not a COMMAND for believers, but we wish to honor God in it's use, we are at complete liberty to do so, and ought not be judged for it.

Edited to add: I will say that the passage you referred to would be more proper in the context, which is that the keeping of the Sabbath is seen as something we don't need to do, as the law as done away, so it is really more of a negative view on the keeping of the Sabbath and feasts, while Romans 14 is closer to speaking it being according to one's heart to do or not to do, as each man is led in their heart.  

• Members
On 9/20/2020 at 6:07 AM, robycop3 said:

I don't see any Scriptural command for any non-Israelis to observe the Saturday Sabbath, except that the gates of Jerusalem were locked to itinerant merchants on Sabbaths to prevent their doing business with Israelis on Sabbaths.

I believe it's as Passover-God said that any non-Israeli observing passover must follow all the rules He gave to Israel concerning it.

But I believe the following Scripture applies to these, & other Israeli observances-Col.2:16 ""Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.""

However, I was wrong to criticize the SDAs for Sabbath observance, as they're following their conscience. (Even though it's shaped by Ellen White. They have plenty more false doctrines, beliefs, & policies to rightly criticize them about !)

Not only was not the sabbath placed uponm the Church, there is no record of any keeping it before Mosaic Law!