• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

1 co 12:13 and the body of Christ

• Members
11 hours ago, 360watt said:

I've looked at the context of this verse before and come to the conclusion it is referring to the local church. In looking at this verse in its context what do you see?

The whole chapter is speaking of spiritual things like gifts in the body of Christ. This is a spiritual baptism not some Baptist Brider nonsense.

• Members
17 hours ago, SureWord said:

The whole chapter is speaking of spiritual things like gifts in the body of Christ. This is a spiritual baptism not some Baptist Brider nonsense.

Alright, so if it is a spiritual baptism, then I'm guessing you mean that at Pentecost the Holy Spirit began baptising people into the universal body of believers?

If this is so, what about believers in the Old Testament, looking forward to Christ's coming?

They would not be part of the body of Christ, if it began at Pentecost.  So how would it consist of all believers, or all believers?

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 9/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, Pastorj said:

How about you share your interpretation.

Paul being baptized by immersion in reference to the local body he joined as well as the Corinthians who were baptized by immersion into the body at Corinth. So 'we were all baptized into one body..'  Paul to the body he joined.. the Corinthians to the body they joined.

Body as in assembly/congregation. 

• Members
On 9/21/2020 at 4:16 AM, 360watt said:

Alright, so if it is a spiritual baptism, then I'm guessing you mean that at Pentecost the Holy Spirit began baptising people into the universal body of believers?

If this is so, what about believers in the Old Testament, looking forward to Christ's coming?

They would not be part of the body of Christ, if it began at Pentecost.  So how would it consist of all believers, or all believers?

The "believers" in the OT are no more members of the Church (i.e. the body of Christ, i.e. the universal church, i.e. the invisible body of believers, i.e. those born again of the Spirit, regenerated in Christ, sealed of the Spirit) than are the believers during the Tribulation. The Church is Christ's bride being called out from Calvary to the Rapture. There was no "saved looking forward to the cross". This is utter Calvinistic rubbish. How many times must it be pointed out from scripture that the gospel was his by God Almighty in the OT? Yes, we can see it now through the blessing of hind sight. Yes, they were retroactively redeemed via the blood of the atonement but they are not members of his flesh, bone of his bone. They are the family of God but not the bride of Christ.

• Members
23 hours ago, SureWord said:

The "believers" in the OT are no more members of the Church (i.e. the body of Christ, i.e. the universal church, i.e. the invisible body of believers, i.e. those born again of the Spirit, regenerated in Christ, sealed of the Spirit) than are the believers during the Tribulation. The Church is Christ's bride being called out from Calvary to the Rapture. There was no "saved looking forward to the cross". This is utter Calvinistic rubbish. How many times must it be pointed out from scripture that the gospel was his by God Almighty in the OT? Yes, we can see it now through the blessing of hind sight. Yes, they were retroactively redeemed via the blood of the atonement but they are not members of his flesh, bone of his bone. They are the family of God but not the bride of Christ.

I would agree that Old Testament believers are not presently a part of the New Testament Church.  However, if they were/are never born of the Spirit and regenerated in Christ, then they most certainly are NOT the children of God or members in the family of God.  Denying Biblical regeneration by the power of the Holy Spirit unto Old Testament believers leaves them "dead in trespasses and sins," and thus prohibits them from EVER being a part of God's eternal, spiritual, heavenly family.  Furthermore, the descriptive of the New Jerusalem in Revelation 21:1 - 22:5 appears to indicate that at some point ALL believers will be gathered together in ONE, described in Revelation 21:2 with the phrase, "prepared as a bride adorned for her husband."

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle