• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Trump and Social Security

I do not know how many people here are dependent on getting through each month because they receive a Social Security check. I expect there are some and I am sure all who are here know of people, have friends and fellow church-members who would be in serious trouble if that monthly check disappeared. I am very concerned as it seems Trump wants to destroy Social Security.

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/515843-fact-checking-the-fact-checkers-trump-does-indeed-plan-to?fbclid=IwAR3ASB3nFQQplj-HQUwWn7Uyf9ITtPToSSg-ceF1-WGgjeKmYWhhFCEwJ3E

He has not said this directly, but he has said he will do away with the Social Security tax. if there is no tax it is obvious that the end of 2023 there will be no social security checks. I doubt Congress would approve of this measure, but .... 

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/513556-trump-payroll-plan-would-deplete-social-security-by-2023-administrator

• Members
3 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I do not know how many people here are dependent on getting through each month because they receive a Social Security check. I expect there are some and I am sure all who are here know of people, have friends and fellow church-members who would be in serious trouble if that monthly check disappeared. I am very concerned as it seems Trump wants to destroy Social Security.

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/515843-fact-checking-the-fact-checkers-trump-does-indeed-plan-to?fbclid=IwAR3ASB3nFQQplj-HQUwWn7Uyf9ITtPToSSg-ceF1-WGgjeKmYWhhFCEwJ3E

He has not said this directly, but he has said he will do away with the Social Security tax. if there is no tax it is obvious that the end of 2023 there will be no social security checks. I doubt Congress would approve of this measure, but .... 

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/513556-trump-payroll-plan-would-deplete-social-security-by-2023-administrator

Trump's not going to destroy Social Security. Like Rush Limbaugh said this is the same tired argument used by the Left for the last 40 years during every election cycle. Plus, Social Security is on the verge of going broke anyways unless they can legalize all the "undocumented workers"  Congress has been raiding it for years. 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:40 PM, SureWord said:

Trump's not going to destroy Social Security. Like Rush Limbaugh said this is the same tired argument used by the Left for the last 40 years during every election cycle. Plus, Social Security is on the verge of going broke anyways unless they can legalize all the "undocumented workers"  Congress has been raiding it for years. 

Yes, Congress, and you realize it is a GOP led Congress has raided SS.

And, in your opinion, Trump was telling a lie when he made the statement? It was not the left that made the statement, but Trump himself.

17 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Who needs Social Security check? People are getting checks weekly, by mail.  ?

Mail Send Me GIF

You mean unemployment? That will run out. 

What about the elderly who are able to eat only because they receive Social Security?

1 hour ago, E Morales said:

Social Security will be here longer than Trump, or sleepy Joe.

1 hour ago, E Morales said:

Social Security will be here longer than Trump, or sleepy Joe.

Just now, Bouncing Bill said:

Not if Trump has his way. When you are retired will you be able to survive without SS helping you? Most people do not save enough so they can live without it. Not everyone makes enough to save, but many do and still do not save and invest. My wife and I established financial ground-rules we would live by early in our marriage. We had to as we were very much on the edge at that time. I'll list those ground-rules if you'd like to see them. 

• Moderators

Social Security is, and always has been, a scam. There was never a SS "lock box", or a social security account where the money went in and was drawn from: it has always gone directly into the general fund, and used with all the other money. 

I work for the federal government, and for the next 4 months, they will not be deduction the SS tax; BUT, come January, they will be taking it back, SO, I will be setting that money aside until January, and will apportion it back to myself to cover when they take it back. It is a weird and baffling decision to do something like that, and usually Trump has shown himself smarter with money than this. 

But if I had my druthers, they could do away with SS altogether, continue to see to those on the program who depend on it, and let the younger people still working put away for their own retirement.  

• Members
On 9/13/2020 at 6:24 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Yes, Congress, and you realize it is a GOP led Congress has raided SS.

And, in your opinion, Trump was telling a lie when he made the statement? It was not the left that made the statement, but Trump himself.

You mean unemployment? That will run out. 

What about the elderly who are able to eat only because they receive Social Security?

Both parties have been raiding SS so please don't think your dealing with a shill here. The country have been in an unrecoverable hole long before Trump came along.

• Members
2 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

But, it was Trump who said he wants to do away with the tax and that would destroy SS for all. 

I'm pretty sure Trump said it was off the table. Other Republicans, like Mitch McTurtle, want it gone but even than not totally. Just the massive bureaucratic size of it and to offer free market solutions to retirement. But we know this won't happen. The government will just tax and spend more