• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Please Pray for the West Coast

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SureWord said:

I see Facebook is banning all posts mentioning any arson in relation to the fires.

Hmm - I still see some coming across my feed. But I'm not surprised - they've been banning a lot lately. Did you get the notice that starting Oct. 1 they're going to be deciding if people's posts amount to enough to shut down the page? It's Zuckerberg's baby, so he can do that, but ridiculous.

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

Hmm - I still see some coming across my feed. But I'm not surprised - they've been banning a lot lately. Did you get the notice that starting Oct. 1 they're going to be deciding if people's posts amount to enough to shut down the page? It's Zuckerberg's baby, so he can do that, but ridiculous.

Yeah, if you look it up you'll see they are banning posts, mostly about the Oregon fires.

As far as whether Zuckerberg has the right to censor certain free speech the argument has been that since Big Tech has taken in millions from the government then they are now considered a public platform except for a few manner of speech. I believe this was already settled by law but is not bring enforced.

Regardless, I still pray you are safe.

• Administrators

It's raining! Praise the Lord! This is about the normal time of year that the rains begin, but it has been hoped and prayed for by so many of us now! I know it was raining a bit earlier near one of the fires, so I'm sure hoping and praying it rains all over the state (since there is no such thing as a global climate, there is no guarantee that it will rain all over... ? ), as well as in other western states.

• Administrators
On 9/15/2020 at 2:55 AM, HappyChristian said:

This is what I was referencing before about the power poles, although I wasn't sure that it was happening in WA...it is. 

power poles.jpg

So sad that people do stuff like this. It does not make me angry, it just makes me want to preach more Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 9/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, HappyChristian said:

Now, along highway 101 - the highway that goes from our area all the way down CA (our area meaning that 101 curves around at our northern most point of the peninsula and heads south) - they have been finding power poles that the wind has blown over...these poles had transformers that popped and fires started. Thing is, at this pint there have been 18 - EIGHTEEN - found that were helped along by chain saws, to weaken them so that the wind would knock them over. That's arson.

This graph is interesting...if the fires were from climate change, why do they stop at the borders? It couldn't be that Canada actually maintains their land a bit better, eh?  

fires in pnw.jpg

I don't know if we maintain better or not, although we wouldn't see many fires in southern AB or SK due to lack of continuous trees and high population centres. I suspect this map is only showing US data.

These won't match the data above, as they're current, but here's today's fire map for BC:
https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f0ac328d88c74d07aa2ee385abe2a41b

And here's Alberta: https://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire-status/status-map.aspx

This was actually a quieter year for wildfires up here - either that or Covid took over all the news. We've had years where smoke from BC & northern fires came across the mountains - haven't had that this year. Apparently BC had a problem with smoke, but that could have been coming north from the fires in the States.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Salyan said:

I don't know if we maintain better or not, although we wouldn't see many fires in southern AB or SK due to lack of continuous trees and high population centres. I suspect this map is only showing US data.

These won't match the data above, as they're current, but here's today's fire map for BC:
https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f0ac328d88c74d07aa2ee385abe2a41b

And here's Alberta: https://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire-status/status-map.aspx

This was actually a quieter year for wildfires up here - either that or Covid took over all the news. We've had years where smoke from BC & northern fires came across the mountains - haven't had that this year. Apparently BC had a problem with smoke, but that could have been coming north from the fires in the States.

Yeah, I remember the smoke from last year...it blew down from Canada to our area. We did have fires, but not anywhere near as bad as this year. I don't know if you maintain better or not, but it is interesting that the map of fires this year stopped at both the Canadian border in the north and Mexican border in the south. But, then, that's a conspiracy, eh? LOL

I'm glad you didn't have to deal with smoke this year.