• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist Churches

• Members

I've noticed more and more Baptist churches, I'm talking KJV bible believing doctrinally sound Baptist churches, are dumping "Baptist" from the name of their churches. Many are going with "Bible Church" or "Community Church" or "Chapel". Do you consider this a compromise or first steps of going apostate or is there some other reason they are distancing themselves from the name Baptist.

• Members

That’s an interesting question. I don’t think there is one, single answer.  I think different churches drop the “Baptist” moniker for different reasons.

I think for some, yes, there is a certain sense of divergence from traditional Baptist teaching and there may be a realization that the Baptist name no longer really describes their core beliefs...at least, not all of them.

For others, even if the actual theology isn’t the reason, I think there is a certain discomfort with being labeled too much.  So, they may just be trying to simplify the church’s name. Others may be concerned about being stereotyped, based upon some negative connotations they fear others may have about Baptists.  

• Members
3 hours ago, NotAshamed said:

That’s an interesting question. I don’t think there is one, single answer.  I think different churches drop the “Baptist” moniker for different reasons.

I think for some, yes, there is a certain sense of divergence from traditional Baptist teaching and there may be a realization that the Baptist name no longer really describes their core beliefs...at least, not all of them.

For others, even if the actual theology isn’t the reason, I think there is a certain discomfort with being labeled too much.  So, they may just be trying to simplify the church’s name. Others may be concerned about being stereotyped, based upon some negative connotations they fear others may have about Baptists.  

Yes, I've been thinking that it may be distancing themselves from a certain label that has been attached but it still is troubling that some of these churches may be moving to a non-denominational kumbaya position. I know many Baptist preachers don't like to be called "fundamentalist" anymore but prefer "bible believing" because of the apostasy in some fundamental churches. It's still a troubling trend.

We have not dropped the name Baptist from the name of the church in which I am a member. We have discussed it, but have taken no action. I doubt we ever drop the word from our name. We are a small diverse group, racially, economically, educationally and a very loving and accepting church. Everyone is welcome. 

In the area I live the word 'Baptist' is a huge liability. Say the word and the first thoughts that will come to mind of a large majority of people is, narrow minded, bigoted, racist, unfriendly, intolerant, etc., etc. It does not matter if it is true of an individual church. It is because of what they see so often when Baptist take stances that are all too often some or all of those tags. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

We have not dropped the name Baptist from the name of the church in which I am a member. We have discussed it, but have taken no action. I doubt we ever drop the word from our name. We are a small diverse group, racially, economically, educationally and a very loving and accepting church. Everyone is welcome. 

In the area I live the word 'Baptist' is a huge liability. Say the word and the first thoughts that will come to mind of a large majority of people is, narrow minded, bigoted, racist, unfriendly, intolerant, etc., etc. It does not matter if it is true of an individual church. It is because of what they see so often when Baptist take stances that are all too often some or all of those tags. 

In the days of slavery the Baptist and Methodist churches were about the only ones who saw the black man as having a redeemable soul. That's why here in the South many blacks are still members of these two denominations. The Baptists being painted as "racists" and "bigots" is just more fake news and leftist propaganda and frankly, is quickly losing it's impact where people no longer care. Hint, the two biggest slave holding groups up to the Civil War were Episcopalians and Jews. Both very liberal groups now. You keep rubbing the nose of the 99% of people into the 1% of the dung of people from 150 years ago and they'll soon no longer care and will actually have the opposite effect.

Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.- Proverbs 30:33

11 hours ago, SureWord said:

In the days of slavery the Baptist and Methodist churches were about the only ones who saw the black man as having a redeemable soul. That's why here in the South many blacks are still members of these two denominations. The Baptists being painted as "racists" and "bigots" is just more fake news and leftist propaganda and frankly, is quickly losing it's impact where people no longer care. Hint, the two biggest slave holding groups up to the Civil War were Episcopalians and Jews. Both very liberal groups now. You keep rubbing the nose of the 99% of people into the 1% of the dung of people from 150 years ago and they'll soon no longer care and will actually have the opposite effect.

Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.- Proverbs 30:33

I was not thinking of history over 150 years old. I was thinking of much more current history and current events. It is not because of the history of slavery in the South that Baptists are viewed as racist, intolerant, etc., etc. It is because of more recent history. Large bodies of Baptists have been on the intolerant side of every social issue of the 20th and 21st century.

• Moderators
On 8/26/2020 at 3:06 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

I was not thinking of history over 150 years old. I was thinking of much more current history and current events. It is not because of the history of slavery in the South that Baptists are viewed as racist, intolerant, etc., etc. It is because of more recent history. Large bodies of Baptists have been on the intolerant side of every social issue of the 20th and 21st century.

That's because most of those social issues are abominable in the eyes of the Lord, and so ours, as well.

It's funny to me that the name Baptist makes people think of racism and intolerance, sine so many are what one might call, "Black Baptist churches". In my own tiny community, there are three churches, ours, IFB, an Assembly of God, and the First Baptist, (not southern Baptist), which is a black Baptist church, ie, the pastor is black, and all the congregants are black. Doctrinally, there's no reason for it, because they are pretty Fundamental in their doctrines and practices; their pastor has preached for me a couple times. It mostly comes down to preaching style, more than anything, I suppose. 

We maintain being IFB, because we believe in what those words traditionally meant, and we hold to them. Baptist is misused like crazy-I know of many "gay-tolerant, lgbtq-affirming, Pastor is a crossdressing guy in a dress" churches that call themselves Baptist. Maybe just looking for irony, but there they are. The world can sully good words, but they still mean what they always meant. 

Thanks for your answer. I do not believe the white folk where I live think racist or bigot when they think about black churches ... if they think about them at all. It is white Baptist churches that they think are racist, bigoted and intolerant. It is a burden where I live to have Baptist as part of the name of the church.

The two churches I have been a member of for over 50 years has black, white and oriental members. We are open to all as all need Jesus.