• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Importance of Fathers and Mothers

It seems to me that the final test of any civilization is why type of husbands and wives and mothers and fathers does it turn out? Besides the austere simplicity of such a question, every other achievement of civilization -- art, philosophy, literature, and material living -- pales into insignificance.

Lin Yutang  The Importance of Living  p. 166

• Members

For everybody's information, Lin Yutang was a prolific Chinese writer. Born in China, his father was a minister, but, Lin became a pagan, and after a period of time, due to his wife's influence, became a Christian. Lin eventually moved to Taiwan, where his books are popular ( I have a couple of his books), and he died in Taipei, Taiwan.

Due to Lin's changing of his philosophy, religion, country of residence, and political views, his writings sometimes conflict.

Here is a Wikipedia article about Lin Yutang: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Yutang

Here is Lin Yutan's Chinese name:  林語堂,

Edited by Alan
spelling

9 hours ago, Alan said:

For everybody's information, Lin Yutang was a prolific Chinese writer. Born in China, his father was a minister, but, Lin became a pagan, and after a period of time, due to his wife's influence, became a Christian. Lin eventually moved to Taiwan, where his books are popular ( I have a couple of his books), and he died in Taipei, Taiwan.

Due to Lin's changing of his philosophy, religion, country of residence, and political views, his writings sometimes conflict.

Here is a Wikipedia article about Lin Yutang: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Yutang

Here is Lin Yutan's Chinese name:  林語堂,

He was brilliant. To me some of his works are amazing. I have a friend, a Chinese lady who is 102 year old who knew him. She was an American nurse in Kunming during World War II.