• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is obedience to the command of the gospel to repent and believe a work?

• Administrators

Thanks HC, now I can't say I don't know what it is. But, it is a misnomer, it is not salvation of any kind at all. To my simple mind anyone that believed that would not be actually, biblically saved at all, therefore it is not salvation.

Proverbs 16:25 (KJV) There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

• Members
5 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

The teaching of Lorship Salvation is what led to the heresy that repentance is a work, IMO. 

This is a quote from a man named David Stewart (no relation to my former brother-in-law. hehe). It sums it up pretty well.

“Like an infectious disease, the heresy of Lordship Salvation is everywhere today. “Lordship Salvation” is the false teaching that acknowledging one's guilt of sin in the eyes of a holy God, and believing the Gospel are insufficient to save a person. In addition, proponents of Lordship Salvation teach that in order to be saved, a person must surrender their life in obedience to Christ's lordship, forsake the world, cease from sinful bad habits, confess Christ openly before men, and make a commitment to follow Jesus (or a variation thereof). Lordship Salvation is 100% based in human effort, which is a works-based false plan of salvation.”

It actually fits quite neatly into the calvinist view.  

The idea of Lordship salvation that you must be able to follow the Lord every moment of your life to be saved is a heretical teaching held by Pentecostals.  Jimmy Swaggart teaches that as long as you have faith, then you are saved, but when you lose your faith then you lose your salvation, so you must be hot always in your faith to be saved.  

They interpreted repentance of sin as quit sinning, do good works as process of completing the work of repentance.  This idea came to the mind of Cutis Hutson and so he started to preach that turning away from sin is a work that you must exert an effort of struggling against sin to stop it to be able to repent, so Steven Anderson caught that teaching and adopted it and was able to find a verse that seem to teach it is a work and that is Jonah 3: 10.  I think it is Anderson who started to teach that Jonah 3: 10 means God saw that repentance of sin is a work.  That interpretation is twisted in his mind.   If I were going to the city from my home place and saw the traffic and decided to make a U turn with the car, and the police saw the car turning back, and if there is a statement, The police saw the car made a turn that the driver decided to turn, it does not mean that the turning of the car is the making of decision.  Rather the car turned back because the driver decided to turn back the car.