Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

How about discussing protestant churches that confuse politics with Christianity?

Rate this topic

Citing one verse is taking it out of context. Anything can be proven if we do this all the time. And, regardless, your implied interpretation of this verse may not be correct seeing it is out of context. 

13 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bill, he was named "The Baptist" by God, The Hoy Spirit before he ever baptized anyone. It is a title, not a name. anyone he baptized after this, including Jesus, made them a Baptist also. If you have John's baptism or are baptized by a Baptist, this makes you a Baptist.

So, you stated that you did not know of any reference to John being a Baptist, I think this qualifies.

Where does the Bible say that God named John 'the Baptist'?

• Members
6 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

"Now Elisabeth's full time came that she should be delivered; and she brought forth a son.

58 And her neighbours and her cousins heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her.

59 And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father.

60 And his mother answered and said, Not so; but he shall be called John.

61 And they said unto her, There is none of thy kindred that is called by this name.

62 And they made signs to his father, how he would have him called.

63 And he asked for a writing table, and wrote, saying,

His name is John. And they marvelled all.

64 And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God."

"Baptist" must have been a name given to him by other people because of his baptizing people who had repented when he called them to 'repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand."

Some Christian traditions call him, John the Immerse. Some John the Forerunner. And some  John the Baptizer. 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Citing one verse is taking it out of context. Anything can be proven if we do this all the time. And, regardless, your implied interpretation of this verse may not be correct seeing it is out of context. 

This quote is NOT out of context. Here Jesus, God The Son, explicitly calls John, "The Baptist". This is why I said he was named The Baptist by God; not out of context at all.

John was his name, Baptist was his title, making him the first Baptist. That made all that he baptized Baptists also.

This is NOT my interpretation, it is exactly what the Inspired Scripture says, word for word. not hard to understand if you can read.

So, according to your most recent reply you would rather trust Christian "traditions" rather than Inspired Scripture.

• Members

8 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

"Baptist" must have been a name given to him by other people because of his baptizing people who had repented when he called them to 'repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand."

Some Christian traditions call him, John the Immerse. Some John the Forerunner. And some  John the Baptizer. 

It is a noun (or adjective?) from Strong's Concordance.  He was an immserser.  There were other immersers , orthodox Jewish, and others most likely if not certainly, also , long before him.   Some with or after him,  some of Jesus' Own disciples , and later others,  also were immersers,  but not all of them - it was not necessary for all of them to become immersers,   only to believe and to be immersed.

Like today might be someone called John the Astronaut, or John the Furrier,  or John the Chef - not everyone who eats the food prepared by the Chef becomes a Chef, do they  ?

12 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

This quote is NOT out of context. Here Jesus, God The Son, explicitly calls John, "The Baptist". This is why I said he was named The Baptist by God; not out of context at all.

John was his name, Baptist was is title, making him the first Baptist. That made all that he baptized Baptists also.

This is NOT my interpretation, it is exactly what the Inspired Scripture says, word for word. not hard to understand if you can read.

So, according to your most recent reply you would rather trust Christian "traditions" rather than Inspired Scripture.

The context is not given, thus it is taken out of context. No, I do not trust Christian 'traditions' more than scripture. But I do not trust stand alone, out of context, verses.

By the way, this is way off the topic of this thread. Let's get back to discussing the confusion of mixing culture and Christianity. OK?

2 minutes ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

It is a noun (or adjective?) from Strong's Concordance.  He was an immserser.  There were other immersers , orthodox Jewish, and others most likely if not certainly, also , long before him.   Some with or after him,  some of Jesus' Own disciples , and later others,  also were immersers,  but not all of them - it was not necessary for all of them to become immersers,   only to believe and to be immersed.

Like today might be someone called John the Astronaut, or John the Furrier,  or John the Chef - not everyone who eats the food prepared by the Chef becomes a Chef, do they  ?

Let's get back to discussing the topic of this thread. OK.

• Members

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Let's get back to discussing the topic of this thread. OK.

Why ?  To what purpose is the thread posted?  What is the motive you had to post it ?   Or, more important,  is there any Biblical reason you have or had to want to discuss unScriptural processes, unScriptural politics, unScriptural churches or cults ?

• Members
50 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Do you believe any church or denomination confuses parts of our culture with Christianity? 

You specified Protestant in the title of the thread.   So what if (even) all the churches , groups, and  denominations are wrong and not to be trusted and cannot save anyone?  What then ?  Why discuss all those that are wrong ?    Do you want to discuss then any or all others from USA or any country/ nation/ people that are wrong , instead of from Scripture what is right and true ? 

BTW, Bill have you yourself found one that is always truthful, and not given in to traditions (of catholicism mostly, in part or more), not given in to culture ,  not given in to and today still promoting false teachings, false doctrines, and even false gospels that cannot save ? 

17 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Is Bill even born again? For someone to be so radically to the Left as he is on everything makes me question if he has been?.

Bill, have you been born again by the blood of Jesus Christ trusting in him only?

I was born again and washed in the blood of Jesus Christ over 65 years ago. I totally submitted to Him over 60 years ago, surrendering all and promising to follow wherever he led. He has led to very interesting people and places. I take Christ's example and teachings on how we are to look at and treat others very seriously. This has landed me in trouble in this board. But I stand with Christ and do not worry about where others do not agree on how we are to treat others as Christ taught. Christ gave hard teachings and most folk do not want to hear about those teachings. 

I will not ask you the insulting question you ask me. Blessings. 

• Moderators

Matt 22:

15 Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk. 

16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth*, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men. 

17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? 

18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said,Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? 

19 Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. 

20 And he saith unto them,Whose is this image and superscription? 

21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them,Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. 

22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way. 

Rom 13:

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God*: the powers that be are ordained of God. 

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 

5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 

6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. 

7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. 

That pesky Bible, getting all into political topics! Don't they know better?