• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How about discussing protestant churches that confuse politics with Christianity?

On 7/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

John was named The Baptist, by  God before he ever baptized anyone. He was not named such because of what he did.

Regarding Jan Hus and his unfortunate life and demise, he was never a Baptist by any stretch of the imagination.

I respectfully disagree. I do not know of any reference to John being a Baptist, a baptizer, yes. Yes he did baptize people. Yes, he preached that someone greater was coming and that he was not the messiah.  

In what way was he a Baptist?

• Administrators

This is not difficult to understand, John was the first Baptist, so named by God, The Holy Spirit and affirmed by Jesus Himself.

Matthew 3:1 (KJV) In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

Matthew 11:11 (KJV) Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Matthew 17:13 (KJV) Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

So then, John was the first Baptist; he baptised Jesus, making Jesus a Baptist; Jesus started the first church; making the first church a Baptist Church.

Matthew 16:18 (KJV) And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
On 7/14/2020 at 4:51 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

I respectfully disagree. I do not know of any reference to John being a Baptist, a baptizer, yes. Yes he did baptize people. Yes, he preached that someone greater was coming and that he was not the messiah.  

In what way was he a Baptist?

Bill, he was named "The Baptist" by God, The Hoy Spirit before he ever baptized anyone. It is a title, not a name. anyone he baptized after this, including Jesus, made them a Baptist also. If you have John's baptism or are baptized by a Baptist, this makes you a Baptist.

So, you stated that you did not know of any reference to John being a Baptist, I think this qualifies.

11 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bill, he was named "The Baptist" by God, The Holy Spirit before he ever baptized anyone. It is a title, not a name. anyone he baptized after this, including Jesus, made them a Baptist also. If you have John's baptism or are baptized by a Baptist, this makes you a Baptist.

So, you stated that you did not know of any reference to John being a Baptist, I think this qualifies.

It is a matter of interpretation.

Citing one verse is taking it out of context. Anything can be proven if we do this all the time. And, regardless, your implied interpretation of this verse may not be correct seeing it is out of context. 

13 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bill, he was named "The Baptist" by God, The Hoy Spirit before he ever baptized anyone. It is a title, not a name. anyone he baptized after this, including Jesus, made them a Baptist also. If you have John's baptism or are baptized by a Baptist, this makes you a Baptist.

Where does the Bible say that God named John 'the Baptist'?

• Members
6 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

"Now Elisabeth's full time came that she should be delivered; and she brought forth a son.

58 And her neighbours and her cousins heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her.

59 And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father.

60 And his mother answered and said, Not so; but he shall be called John.

61 And they said unto her, There is none of thy kindred that is called by this name.

62 And they made signs to his father, how he would have him called.

63 And he asked for a writing table, and wrote, saying,

His name is John. And they marvelled all.

64 And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God."

"Baptist" must have been a name given to him by other people because of his baptizing people who had repented when he called them to 'repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand."

Some Christian traditions call him, John the Immerse. Some John the Forerunner. And some  John the Baptizer. 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Citing one verse is taking it out of context. Anything can be proven if we do this all the time. And, regardless, your implied interpretation of this verse may not be correct seeing it is out of context. 

This quote is NOT out of context. Here Jesus, God The Son, explicitly calls John, "The Baptist". This is why I said he was named The Baptist by God; not out of context at all.

John was his name, Baptist was his title, making him the first Baptist. That made all that he baptized Baptists also.

This is NOT my interpretation, it is exactly what the Inspired Scripture says, word for word. not hard to understand if you can read.

So, according to your most recent reply you would rather trust Christian "traditions" rather than Inspired Scripture.

• Members

8 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

"Baptist" must have been a name given to him by other people because of his baptizing people who had repented when he called them to 'repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand."

Some Christian traditions call him, John the Immerse. Some John the Forerunner. And some  John the Baptizer. 

It is a noun (or adjective?) from Strong's Concordance.  He was an immserser.  There were other immersers , orthodox Jewish, and others most likely if not certainly, also , long before him.   Some with or after him,  some of Jesus' Own disciples , and later others,  also were immersers,  but not all of them - it was not necessary for all of them to become immersers,   only to believe and to be immersed.

Like today might be someone called John the Astronaut, or John the Furrier,  or John the Chef - not everyone who eats the food prepared by the Chef becomes a Chef, do they  ?

12 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

This quote is NOT out of context. Here Jesus, God The Son, explicitly calls John, "The Baptist". This is why I said he was named The Baptist by God; not out of context at all.

John was his name, Baptist was is title, making him the first Baptist. That made all that he baptized Baptists also.

This is NOT my interpretation, it is exactly what the Inspired Scripture says, word for word. not hard to understand if you can read.

So, according to your most recent reply you would rather trust Christian "traditions" rather than Inspired Scripture.

The context is not given, thus it is taken out of context. No, I do not trust Christian 'traditions' more than scripture. But I do not trust stand alone, out of context, verses.

By the way, this is way off the topic of this thread. Let's get back to discussing the confusion of mixing culture and Christianity. OK?

2 minutes ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

It is a noun (or adjective?) from Strong's Concordance.  He was an immserser.  There were other immersers , orthodox Jewish, and others most likely if not certainly, also , long before him.   Some with or after him,  some of Jesus' Own disciples , and later others,  also were immersers,  but not all of them - it was not necessary for all of them to become immersers,   only to believe and to be immersed.

Like today might be someone called John the Astronaut, or John the Furrier,  or John the Chef - not everyone who eats the food prepared by the Chef becomes a Chef, do they  ?

Let's get back to discussing the topic of this thread. OK.

• Members

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Let's get back to discussing the topic of this thread. OK.

Why ?  To what purpose is the thread posted?  What is the motive you had to post it ?   Or, more important,  is there any Biblical reason you have or had to want to discuss unScriptural processes, unScriptural politics, unScriptural churches or cults ?