• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Canon of Scripture.

• Members
23 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Was that canon accepted by anyone before Christ came to earth?  

So, when was the New Testament canon established?

OT was set by time of Jesus, and the NT books that were accepted as being Canon were all but 4 established by end of the first century!

• Members
18 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I am curious as I do not know. Who agreed upon the canon in the 1st century?

The early Churches pretty much had agreed upon what was considered to be Apostolic books, and had them being copied and passed around by end of the first century pretty much!

4 hours ago, DaChaser said:

The early Churches pretty much had agreed upon what was considered to be Apostolic books, and had them being copied and passed around by end of the first century pretty much!

Where or what is your reference to this.

Also, what about the books that were copied and passed around at that time, but which were later not included in the canon?

• Members
7 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Where or what is your reference to this.

Also, what about the books that were copied and passed around at that time, but which were later not included in the canon?

A General Introduction to the Bible, Revised & Expanded

By: Norman L. Geisler, William E. Nix

32 minutes ago, DaChaser said:

A General Introduction to the Bible, Revised & Expanded

By: Norman L. Geisler, William E. Nix

I wish I was still working as a volunteer in the library of the International Baptist Theological Seminary (IBTS) in Prague. The seminary moved to Amsterdam in 2014. The type of work I was doing in Prague was not needed in Amsterdam. I would look it up if I could. I see the book received good reviews on Amazon. Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure how many books that were later rejected were floating around the early Christians churches. I know there were quite a few. Not all were rejected at the same time. At least that is my understanding. I expect there are seminary courses on this topic.

Here is a link to an interesting video on the Christian canon, a lecture at Yale University.

Here is another, shorter lecture.

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members
5 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I wish I was still working as a volunteer in the library of the International Baptist Theological Seminary (IBTS) in Prague. The seminary moved to Amsterdam in 2014. The type of work I was doing in Prague was not needed in Amsterdam. I would look it up if I could. I see the book received good reviews on Amazon. Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure how many books that were later rejected were floating around the early Christians churches. I know there were quite a few. Not all were rejected at the same time. At least that is my understanding. I expect there are seminary courses on this topic.

Here is a link to an interesting video on the Christian canon, a lecture at Yale University.

Here is another, shorter lecture.

Much of how one views this topic comes from presumptions, as those holding to a liberal /critical view differ from catholic/Orthodox, and all from Baptist!

• Moderators

Great Scott! Sure a lot of bantering over NOT the question.

The question had to do with what our first thought when, while out soulwinning, someone asks about the who and how of the fixing of scripture. 

My first thought, as mentioned early on, is that this is a question that is meant perhaps to begin an argument, or is there to divert from the gospel.

Concerning the 'who' and the 'how' of it, if this is what is being sought, Who is the Holy Spirit, because he gave it and how is by the giving of the revelation to the writers to be passed on to the churches. One the Spirit completed the revelatory giving of His word, it was done and done.

On 7/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Great Scott! Sure a lot of bantering over NOT the question.

The question had to do with what our first thought when, while out soulwinning, someone asks about the who and how of the fixing of scripture. 

My first thought, as mentioned early on, is that this is a question that is meant perhaps to begin an argument, or is there to divert from the gospel.

Concerning the 'who' and the 'how' of it, if this is what is being sought, Who is the Holy Spirit, because he gave it and how is by the giving of the revelation to the writers to be passed on to the churches. One the Spirit completed the revelatory giving of His word, it was done and done.

I thought the discussion was both on the topic and interesting. There is no one answer to your question. There is not, even in our day, agreement on the canon. There are several canons. None are accepted by all. Some Christian groups accept one, others another. Even if the person you are witnessing to is trying to provoke an argument you must be able to be knowledgeable about the various canons so you can give a logical, understandable and non-confrontational answer. 

• Moderators
On 7/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

I thought the discussion was both on the topic and interesting. There is no one answer to your question. There is not, even in our day, agreement on the canon. There are several canons. None are accepted by all. Some Christian groups accept one, others another. Even if the person you are witnessing to is trying to provoke an argument you must be able to be knowledgeable about the various canons so you can give a logical, understandable and non-confrontational answer. 

Negative: there is ONE canon, and a whole bunch of false ones. THE canon of scripture ended sometime shortly after 90AD, which is roughly the time John was given the Revelation on Patmos. The canon of scripture was set and accepted by the churches as authentic and complete. 

The first complete translation into a different language of the entire New Testament was produced somewhere around 125AD, the next around 150AD, so we know the canon was both complete and agreed upon throughout Christendom, if you will, long enough before that for it to be written, by hand, into a different language by that time.  Facts are facts.

As to the Council of Nicea, they just made a 'formal' agreement as to the finalized canon in the 3rd century, but they had no actual authority to declare anything of the sort-it had already been fully received (hence the name Received Text) by the churches for over 100 years before the council. So they really are of no importance anywhere but in their own minds.

As for giving a non-confrontational answer, the GOSPEL tends to be confrontational-when giving the gospel, if I discern that they seriously have heard something of these things and are confused, I would give a brief, to the point explanation, if I believe it will help in the gospel presentation. But the difficulty even in that is that, I am not about to try to carry around a library of biblical and historical apologetics while giving the gospel-,ore than likely I might set up an agreeable time to come and explain it further at a later date.

But I also, in witnessing, don't always expect they will immediately understand the gospel and be ready to be saved right then-witnessing can take time-I don't go for quick prayerism. Too many know little to nothing about anything of scripture and Jesus other than Facebook memes, so I expect to take some time, so we CAN go over such things, but always with the goal being the gospel and salvation.  

• Members
On 7/22/2020 at 7:07 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

There is but one true Canon, the  inspired books!