• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Counsel Needed About KJV Compromise

• Members

Just a heads up, I know "robycop3" aka "steelmaker" from a forum I frequented years ago. Not only does he believe ALL versions of the bible are full of errors he believes the original autographs themselves were not without errors (unless he's changed his position since that time). Ask him yourself if you do not believe me. His ministry is to roam from forum to forum attacking and questioning the KJV.

• Members

Disagreeing with human, non-scriptural KJV-only reasoning would not be actually the same thing as attacking the KJV.

Perhaps some may jump to a false conclusion based on use of the fallacy of false dilemma that would suggest that if someone does not believe a KJV-only view that they have to believe that all versions of the Bible are full of errors. 

• Members
52 minutes ago, Tyndale said:

Disagreeing with human, non-scriptural KJV-only reasoning would not be actually the same thing as attacking the KJV.

Perhaps some may jump to a false conclusion based on use of the fallacy of false dilemma that would suggest that if someone does not believe a KJV-only view that they have to believe that all versions of the Bible are full of errors. 

Not sure if you are responding to my post but my intent was to point out "robycop3" (also known as "steelmaker on other forums) doesn't even believe the original manuscripts were without error (at least a few years back he didn't) and even admitted so to me when I pressured him for an answer. So any discussion with him about preservation, infallibility, inerrancy, translations, etc etc are a waste of time since he doesn't even believe the inspired originals (I'm referring to the original originals not the Textus Receptus and Masoretic like some erroneously like to call the originals) were without errors.

Do you at least believe the originals autographs written by the prophets and apostles are without errors?

• Members

Good morning to the last two posters!  Indeed, it is a glorious morning in my neck of the woods!  If you would please take your discussion concerning versions to another thread with that subject, it would be greatly appreciated.  As I stated in the OP and then another time, this thread was started with the sincere desire asking for wise counsel about heart matters.  Again I will say that I am fully persuaded about the versions issues...it' s not knowledge that I'm seeking, but rather wisdom (James 1:5) and counsel ("...multitude of counsellors...).  Please see my last post.   May you both have a blessed day; "praying without ceasing", praising Him all the day long, and seeking to bring glory to Him in all things.

• Members
1 hour ago, WellWithMySoul said:

Good morning to the last two posters!  Indeed, it is a glorious morning in my neck of the woods!  If you would please take your discussion concerning versions to another thread with that subject, it would be greatly appreciated.  As I stated in the OP and then another time, this thread was started with the sincere desire asking for wise counsel about heart matters.  Again I will say that I am fully persuaded about the versions issues...it' s not knowledge that I'm seeking, but rather wisdom (James 1:5) and counsel ("...multitude of counsellors...).  Please see my last post.   May you both have a blessed day; "praying without ceasing", praising Him all the day long, and seeking to bring glory to Him in all things.

OK, didn't mean to derail the thread.

I will give you some advice since I was in a similar situation as yours.

Let your pastor know your position on the issue of the KJV but only if the situation demands it. I attended a church where the pastor used the NKJV and routinely corrected the KJV with the "original Greek" even though he never went to college nor could he even read Greek or Hebrew. I just put up with it and followed along his sermons with my KJV. He never really got off into any heresies and some if his messages were still edifying. He was a good man. He was just suckered into using the NKJV thinking it was just an updated KJV.

Unfortunately, he eventually pulled me aside with one of the deacons to interview me about being a Sunday School teacher. I always wanted to be one and I could have just kept silent so as to get the position but I felt I needed to be clear about my position on the KJV. Well, I could see the expression on his face change to almost horror or maybe disbelief when I told him. I knew then I wasn't going to be a Sunday School teacher or be called on about anything else in that church.

Incidentally, during the interview the deacon came out and agreed with me which shocked the pastor even more. Within a few months the pastor tried voting out that godly, aged saint and replace him with a man only saved a few months before but who owned a business involved in building our church a new building. The church voted against the pastor. The pastor eventual got his church built than resigned.

One good thing that came out of the whole debacle is I became friends with an missionary/evangelist who attended that church, who through years of friendship and working on him about the KJV, finally started his own King James bible believing church in Upstate New York.

So my advice is stay put unless he becomes heretical and no longer edifying , be patient, don't force the issue unless it comes to you but when it does state your position and let the chips fall where they may. Something good will eventually come of this.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
19 hours ago, SureWord said:

OK, didn't mean to derail the thread.

I will give you some advice since I was in a similar situation as yours.

Let your pastor know your position on the issue of the KJV but only if the situation demands it. I attended a church where the pastor used the NKJV and routinely corrected the KJV with the "original Greek" even though he never went to college nor could he even read Greek or Hebrew. I just put up with it and followed along his sermons with my KJV. He never really got off into any heresies and some if his messages were still edifying. He was a good man. He was just suckered into using the NKJV thinking it was just an updated KJV.

Unfortunately, he eventually pulled me aside with one of the deacons to interview me about being a Sunday School teacher. I always wanted to be one and I could have just kept silent so as to get the position but I felt I needed to be clear about my position on the KJV. Well, I could see the expression on his face change to almost horror or maybe disbelief when I told him. I knew then I wasn't going to be a Sunday School teacher or be called on about anything else in that church.

Incidentally, during the interview the deacon came out and agreed with me which shocked the pastor even more. Within a few months the pastor tried voting out that godly, aged saint and replace him with a man only saved a few months before but who owned a business involved in building our church a new building. The church voted against the pastor. The pastor eventual got his church built than resigned.

One good thing that came out of the whole debacle is I became friends with an missionary/evangelist who attended that church, who through years of friendship and working on him about the KJV, finally started his own King James bible believing church in Upstate New York.

So my advice is stay put unless he becomes heretical and no longer edifying , be patient, don't force the issue unless it comes to you but when it does state your position and let the chips fall where they may. Something good will eventually come of this.

If someone feels so strongly about the KJVO position, then would see them obligated to either keep quit, or else go elsewhere, as the pastor and Elders have authority to teach from whatever translation they deem right!

• Members
1 hour ago, DaChaser said:

If someone feels so strongly about the KJVO position, then would see them obligated to either keep quit, or else go elsewhere, as the pastor and Elders have authority to teach from whatever translation they deem right!

Wow, just wow. This reminds me how liberals say we need to keep our religion to ourselves inside our house.

Now, I'm not saying to cause a ruckus in the church about it but if the pastor brings up the issue to me I have every right before God to let him know where I stand. 

• Members

Sigh!  Please consider the title of this thread, and ALL of my posts!  Godly counsel for the heart is what I've been seeking; WISE counsel!  Thank you to SureWord for your last post...I appreciate that you shared your own personal experience.  It is time now for this thread to close.  In a previous post I expressed that this matter has since been dealt with.  One last request that I have is Proverbs 18:13 - "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him".