• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Will a person who loves sin trust in Jesus for salvation?

• Members

Well it is not my position that there is a required degree of remorse for repentance due to people do vary in their emotion and experiences of wicked deeds, so I do not take the position that there must be crying or remorse as my point is that some people are emotional and others are not.   There is however a feeling of guilt as a result of the conviction of the Holy Spirit and admission that sin is sin, and that God is a holy God who hates sin, and the sinner being sorry for displeasing God and feeling undeserving of his own righteousness to save himself, so when he hears the gospel he is trust in Jesus as the only way to be saved.   However there is no need to categorize repentance and repentance of sin as work and that they are different as there is no work involved in repentance but that work is a result of repentance.  Repentance is a decision and it is a change of mind.   Rebellion, doing your own way instead of God's way is sin.  Sin is transgression of the law.   1 John 5: 17 states all unrighteousness is sin.. Sin is rebellion to God, or transgressing God's law, and when you violates one you violates all, James 2:10.  When the Bible speaks of repentance, it is a change of mind and heart toward God concerning sin.  If repentance has the same meaning as faith, then there is no need for Paul to distinctively state, Repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus, Acts 20: 21.  When the Bible speaks of faith and believing it does not mean without repentance.  In John 5: 24 hearing was mentioned yet in other verses such as John 6: 47 hearing was not mentioned.   So when you see verses without hearing and without repentance it does not mean that faith is without repentance for a sinner who loves sin will not trust in Jesus until he is convicted by the Spirit of sin, becomes sorry of his sin, and changes his mind and heart about it.   If there is a change of mind from loving sin to hating it to loving God, why can't you call it repentance since it is a change of mind and not a work??? 

• Members

When you try to categorize repentance for the unsaved and repentance of sin for the saved that will contradict with Isaiah 55: 7 , and Ezek 33:11 where the wicked are commanded to repent of their sins, transgression or way, or evil ways.. all of that are sins..  Anderson said that repentance of sin is for the believer and repentance is for the unbeliever but the Bible says that the wicked are commanded to repent of their sins (transgressions, abominations, way or evil ways) all of that are sins.  Anderson just do not know well the Bible and he does not know that there are verses that speaks of repentance of sins, or evil ways .. 

• Members

No Man is able to deal with his sin in a way to cleanse himself.  Only God can cleanse us of sin, to forgive our sins.  It is true that man cannot repent and believe and come to God by self effort and apart from grace, but does it mean that man under grace, the conviction of the Spirit and influence of the word cannot repent and believe?  No!  God commanded all men everywhere to repent and repentance precedes faith.  God commanded sinners, the wicked to repent of their sins, Isaiah 55:7, Ezek 33:11; 18:30-31; 13:22; 14:6; Rev.2:21-22; 9: 20-21.  It is only due to the ignorance of Steven Anderson and Roger Jimenez who teach that there is no repentance of sin in the bible. They misinterpreted Jonah 3:10 as repentance of sin as a work and twisted other scriptures that Isaiah 55:7, Ezek 33:11, Luke 13:3 that these verses are speaking of physical destruction, when God is commanding the wicked to repent of sins to receive forgiveness, salvation.  To believe without acknowledging himself as sinner needing God's mercy and salvation is to boast of himself of his own righteousness.  Jesus did not come for self righteous people but for sinners Mark 2:17.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 4/24/2020 at 12:39 AM, mbkjpreacher said:

WILL A PERSON WHO LOVES SIN AND DOES NOT WANT DELIVERANCE TRUST IN JESUS AS SAVIOR? 

All men are sinners by nature (Romans 3:23).  Sinners love darkness, that is sin and sinful practices.  Should a sinner be convicted of his sins, feel sorry about it and change his mind and heart concerning sin in order to trust in Jesus as Savior, or is it okay to continue loving sin and desiring it at the same time trusting in Jesus as Savior?  

The saved have a new nature, and have the Holy Spirit indwelling them, so they  should never be "OK" with just going on sinning!

• Administrators

Mark 1:15 (KJV) And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Luke 13:3 (KJV) I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 3:19 (KJV) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Mark 6:12 (KJV) And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

Repentance and Belief; always in that order Scripturally.

John the Baptist's message was: Matthew 3:2 (KJV) And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

• Members

According to those in the camp of Steven Anderson, that there is not a mention of repentance in the book of John so that the sinner need not repent of sin, but just believe.  

Here are some questions:  

1. Do you believe on the Son? He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
    (John 3:36 KJV)
  2. Jesus commanded "repent".  Do you believe you must obey the command to repent?  I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
    (Luke 13:3 KJV)
  3. Is repentance the same meaning as belief in Christ?  Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
    (Acts 20:21 KJV)
  4. Whom does Jesus call to repentance, sinners or righteous? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
    (Mark 2:17 KJV)
  5. Do you believe you have sins to repent or none?  But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
    (Isaiah 64:6 KJV)
  6. Should the wicked repent of his sins? Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
    (Ezekiel 33:11 KJV)
  7. What is the condition of God so that the wicked will receive forgiveness of sins?  Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
    (Isaiah 55:7 KJV)
  8. Will a person believe on the Lord Jesus if he loves sin and does not see his own sinfulness?And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    (Luke 18:13 KJV)

• Members

Sin is the symptom and not the disease. Sin is born of lust, which comes from a rebellious heart. Until one repents by turning back to God by faith in Christ, they cannot be saved from sin. It is not the repentance of sin that brings grace but rather repentance of rebellion by turning in humility to God.

Romans 2:4-5 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? 5 but after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

James 1:13-16 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

James 4:5-7 5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Here is my view of why the word "repent" is not in the book of John:

We studied the subject of repentance in Sunday School at our church and went through every bible passage which used the word. I f anyone is interested in those lessons, they can be found here: 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

All men are by nature sinful and loves sin.  When a person realizes his sins under the conviction of the Spirit and the preaching of the word, changes his mind about it and turns to Christ for salvation, would that be called repentance?  Or Do you believe that a person would just trust in Christ without realizing his sinful condition and its consequence and still wanted that sinful life? 

• Members
1 hour ago, mbkjpreacher said:

All men are by nature sinful and loves sin.  When a person realizes his sins under the conviction of the Spirit and the preaching of the word, changes his mind about it and turns to Christ for salvation, would that be called repentance?  Or Do you believe that a person would just trust in Christ without realizing his sinful condition and its consequence and still wanted that sinful life? 

There should be some kind of repentance and a desire to follow God but you have to be careful with judging new believers. Many grow at different rates and turning from sin is really a battle for many and doesn't always happen over night. But there should be some kind of love for God's righteousness and conviction of sin.

• Members

Well,   there is salvation for those who hate sin,  who renounce their 'soul' life to gain a 'spirit'(true) life in line with God's Word,   who turn to and come to Jesus to be healed (saved),  to be set free from the power of the devil,  the power of sin, the power of the world, and the power of sin and death....

We all HAD some sins we love, potentially.   When true repentance is accomplished,  when true healing, true salvation is accomplished by the Father,   there remains no more desire for sin,  no more love for sin - it is dealt with totally, as written.   Love the Truth.  Love what is Pure and Holy.   Do as God Directs,  not as if in debt to live any longer for sin in the old life, 

but owing all to God, putting on the newness of life,  in Christ Jesus,  as Described in His Word.

Even love of things of the world is not found in those who are in Christ Jesus - as written if someone loves the world, or the things of the world,  the love of God is not in them,  and they cannot be a friend of God if they are a friend of the world.   (see specifics throughout the NT) .

• Members

When I got saved I still loved sin. I felt bad about it and knew it was wrong, but honestly I still enjoyed it and desired it. God has gradually helped me grow and my desires have changed. If a person is in Christ they are a new creature. How can a person have new desires in order to become a new creature to receive new desires???

• Members
45 minutes ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

When I got saved I still loved sin. I felt bad about it and knew it was wrong, but honestly I still enjoyed it and desired it. God has gradually helped me grow and my desires have changed. If a person is in Christ they are a new creature. How can a person have new desires in order to become a new creature to receive new desires???

With all humble honesty, there are STILL some sins at some times that I love, even after being a child of God for 34 years.  The reason -- because I still retain the inner motivations of my selfish, sinful "flesh."  In fact, there is NO good thing, no, not even the smallest speck, in my selfish, sinful "flesh;" and thus my selfish, sinful "flesh" ALWAYS loves sin and hates godliness.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

With all humble honesty, there are STILL some sins at some times that I love, even after being a child of God for 34 years.  The reason -- because I still retain the inner motivations of my selfish, sinful "flesh."  In fact, there is NO good thing, no, not even the smallest speck, in my selfish, sinful "flesh;" and thus my selfish, sinful "flesh" ALWAYS loves sin and hates godliness.

An extremely humbling post, it convicted me mightily because it speaks directly to not only me myself, but I am convinced to most Christians if they are honest with themselves.

Thank you Bro. Scott for your brutally candid honesty this morning.