• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How to Reach Forth While Waiting

• Members

Waiting-Blog.jpg

It’s hard to believe how much has changed in the three months since we entered 2020 and our church began the theme “Reaching Forth.” 

The theme phrase comes from Philippians 3:13, “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before…”

But when I chose it back in the summer of 2019, I had no idea how our life routines would be interrupted in the spring of 2020 by COVID-19. Here were are now, many of us under shelter-in-place orders, thinking about “reaching forth”!

Let’s remember though that the apostle Paul penned these words while under Roman imprisonment, most likely house arrest. 

So if you feel that you are under “house arrest,” trapped in your own home, or if you’re wondering how you can make real progress during this period of waiting, I’d like to suggest eight daily activities: 

Thoughts for Your Daily Schedule:

1. Rise on schedule. Set an alarm, and get up and dressed. It will set the tone for your day.

2. Reach out to God. Study His Word, worship Him, and give thanks for your blessings. 

3. Exercise. Take a walk, do an in-home exercise program….keep moving.

4. Work in place. If you’re working from home, finish projects and commitments; stay accountable. If you’re home but not working, choose a project to tackle—perhaps something you’ve always wanted to do but never had the time.

5. Reach out to others. Stay in touch with neighbors, the elderly, and your church family.

6. Minister grace to your family. Make this a time when you draw closer to one another, giving one another grace. (I preached on this topic Sunday evening. You can watch or listen to the message here.) 

7. Discipline your media impact. Limit your screen time; govern content biblically. If you watch the news all day, you are likely to become anxious and depressed. 

8. Rest. Physically, get sleep. Spiritually, rest in the all-wise, all-good sovereignty of God. 

View the full article

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 3/31/2020 at 1:26 PM, RSS Robot said:

Spiritually, rest in the all-wise, all-good sovereignty of God. 

After a little while ago seeing and passing a thread title referring to , as if,   needing more hope or joy or peace during the so-called (man-made) pandemic,  as if there was something more to do to get some help from God,  now here, a better perspective I think,

this is at least, finally, "good" recognizing God gives peace and joy and righteousness without measure to His people.   As God's Word says He gives His Beloved rest/sleep,   He Does Perfectly,  without fail, every day, all the time, as He Says .  (not as man tries to get or any other adaptation to man's ways instead of God's Way).