• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did Jonah die while he was in the belly of the fish?

• Administrators

According to Jonah 2:2 & Matthew 12:40 some believe that Jonah did die in the belly of the whale. Since Jonah prayed and Jesus compared it to his literal resurrection, does that mean that Jonah did the same thing?

Jonah 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

For the record I believe that Jonah was alive for three day and three nights, I'm just wanting to see what every here thinks/believes.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

According to Jonah 2:2 & Matthew 12:40 some believe that Jonah did die in the belly of the whale. Since Jonah prayed and Jesus compared it to his literal resurrection, does that mean that Jonah did the same thing?

Jonah 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

For the record I believe that Jonah was alive for three day and three nights, I'm just wanting to see what every her thinks/believes.

Agreed-he did not die-the comparison Jesus made was only to the time he would be in the grave, not anything concerning Jonah's death. Jonah was clearly alive and unhappy about it, and such was the intent, to cause him to repent and bend to the Lord's will. 

• Moderators

Hard to pray when you're dead.

:15_1_63:

The Bible says Jonah prayed 'out of the whale's belly'. If he was dead, wouldn't he have prayed 'out of Abraham's bosom' (like Lazarus)? I think the analogy here was to the 3 days/nights, not the actual death.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

He was dead, IMO. That's because it is mentioned that the Earth's bars was about him and and that his life was brought up from corruption which sounds like a "resurrection" to me. His prayers would have been coming out of "Abraham's Bosom'.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
28 minutes ago, SureWord said:

He was dead, IMO. That's because it is mentioned that the Earth's bars was about him and and that his life was brought up from corruption which sounds like a "resurrection" to me. His prayers would have been coming out of "Abraham's Bosom'.

I believe his prayers as the Almighty clearly and always knew and as He preserved in Scripture were prayed before Jonah died.   There's no indication in the Scripture in the book of Jonah , is there,  of him ever being in "Abraham's Bosom" ?  Other Scripture indicated, in the KJV,  that the dead know nothing,  which would contradict Jonah praying after he died.

• Members
6 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

I believe his prayers as the Almighty clearly and always knew and as He preserved in Scripture were prayed before Jonah died.   There's no indication in the Scripture in the book of Jonah , is there,  of him ever being in "Abraham's Bosom" ?  Other Scripture indicated, in the KJV,  that the dead know nothing,  which would contradict Jonah praying after he died.

The context of "the dead know nothing" is in relation to things on this planet. They no longer know anything like the living do. That has to be the meaning otherwise you have "soul sleep" or annihilation because surely the dead who are in either heaven or hell (or Abraham's Bosom back in those days) know something just not what's going on in this world.

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

The context of "the dead know nothing" is in relation to things on this planet. They no longer know anything like the living do. That has to be the meaning otherwise you have "soul sleep" or annihilation because surely the dead who are in either heaven or hell (or Abraham's Bosom back in those days) know something just not what's going on in this world.

It seems to lead often to many errors to refer to or rely on, or to rely against,  arguments concerning man-made doctrines with all associated with them.   (such as soul sleep).

It is not necessary,  as the Father The Creator Reveals Scripture,  to introduce nor use the thoughts or ideas or practices of man,  including the things associated with man-sourced 'soul sleep'.   To use anything associated with man's ideas of 'soul sleep',  contrary to KJV Scripture,  is like leaning on a crutch that is already broken and thus is unreliable.

There does not seem to be any Scripture supporting that "know nothing" only relates to things on this planet,   nor that "surely the dead ....  know something"   .....

Compare the otherwise unrelated Scripture that says something like "if anyone thinks they know something,  they don't know anything yet'...   perhaps quite a quandary all by itself,   and indicates that even living people/living souls?/.  may know nothing,  in Scripture terms. (Whatever the Creator Author means) .  (so for those put in the grave to know nothing,  does not at all seem unusual nor does it seem to need to be qualified with other qualifiers ,   especially not from outside of KJV Scripture,  right ? 

• Members
3 hours ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

It seems to lead often to many errors to refer to or rely on, or to rely against,  arguments concerning man-made doctrines with all associated with them.   (such as soul sleep).

It is not necessary,  as the Father The Creator Reveals Scripture,  to introduce nor use the thoughts or ideas or practices of man,  including the things associated with man-sourced 'soul sleep'.   To use anything associated with man's ideas of 'soul sleep',  contrary to KJV Scripture,  is like leaning on a crutch that is already broken and thus is unreliable.

There does not seem to be any Scripture supporting that "know nothing" only relates to things on this planet,   nor that "surely the dead ....  know something"   .....

Compare the otherwise unrelated Scripture that says something like "if anyone thinks they know something,  they don't know anything yet'...   perhaps quite a quandary all by itself,   and indicates that even living people/living souls?/.  may know nothing,  in Scripture terms. (Whatever the Creator Author means) .  (so for those put in the grave to know nothing,  does not at all seem unusual nor does it seem to need to be qualified with other qualifiers ,   especially not from outside of KJV Scripture,  right ? 

Did you read the context of your quote?

If a man knows nothing, as in NOTHING, after his death than you are teaching soul sleep.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Hebrews 9:27 (KJV) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

I'm not saying soul sleep is true. It isn't. But his claim that Jonah couldn't have been dead because the "dead know nothing" therefore he couldn't have prayed if he was dead is erroneous. We see people in Abraham's Bosom well aware of their condition including the rich man beseeching Abraham to warn his brothers. We also read how Jesus preached the gospel to the spirits in prison (interesting, that Jonah mentions "bars" in his prayer) who would have been well aware.

• Members
59 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Did you read the context of your quote?

If a man knows nothing, as in NOTHING, after his death than you are teaching soul sleep.

It seems you missed the point of the context entirely concerning this.

Did you not read all my post ?   Specifically: "To use anything associated with man's ideas of 'soul sleep',  contrary to KJV Scripture,  is like leaning on a crutch that is already broken and thus is unreliable. "

Therefore,  something else is amiss in your statements if you think something requires soul sleep doctrine or the things associated with soul sleep doctrines.   

Scripture is altogether truth - it cannot be wrong in any point.

• 2 months later...