• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Separation over doctrine.

• Members

As independents we should already be separated. The better question should be, "With whom will I fellowship?". A person's doctrine, practices, and location does not determine my separation but it does determine my level of fellowship.

Edited by John Young

• Administrators

I think a lot would depend on the level or differences in doctrinal matters. In other words some doctrinal matters are of more importance than others. For that reason it is hard for me to consider this a blanket question unless specific doctrines are brought into the question.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 3/4/2020 at 1:14 AM, DaveW said:

What are people's thoughts over separating from fellowship with someone over doctrinal matters?

I would have to ask what are we dividing over though? As I have Christian friends eho hold to various views on Eschatology, some are Reformed, some Baptist, some Dispy some holding to Covenant theology!

• Members
10 hours ago, DaChaser said:

I would have to ask what are we dividing over though? As I have Christian friends eho hold to various views on Eschatology, some are Reformed, some Baptist, some Dispy some holding to Covenant theology!

They are all interpretations not doctrine, althoughmany think they are.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Invicta said:

They are all interpretations not doctrine, althoughmany think they are.

When dealing with the difference between 'God sovereignly decided, before the foundations of time, who would be saved and who would go to hell', and then commands them ALL to be saved or go to hell' as opposed to 'whosoever will', THAT is doctrine-in fact, it covers a few doctrines, like the sufficiency of the sacrifice of Christ, whether man has free will to choose to follow or reject, and such. That is doctrine.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

When dealing with the difference between 'God sovereignly decided, before the foundations of time, who would be saved and who would go to hell', and then commands them ALL to be saved or go to hell' as opposed to 'whosoever will', THAT is doctrine-in fact, it covers a few doctrines, like the sufficiency of the sacrifice of Christ, whether man has free will to choose to follow or reject, and such. That is doctrine.

Yes I agree with you.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 3/28/2020 at 8:40 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Think that those are in house issues free to dioscuss and disagree, but not raising to level of seperation

• Moderators
On 5/15/2020 at 6:54 AM, DaChaser said:

Think that those are in house issues free to dioscuss and disagree, but not raising to level of seperation

It.absolutely raises to the level of separation,  because we are dealing with the foundational doctrine of eternal life. 

If I say everyone has an equal.ability to call upon the name of the Lord to be saved, and YOU say, No, not everyone has that ability, that is a serious issue. I have personally witnessed the agony caused when a Calvinst had a hard time in sin and believed himself not of the elect, and it almost led him to suicide. I would perhaps talk with someone over the issue, but could not fellowship with them if that fundamental issue was in disagreement.

• Members
20 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

It.absolutely raises to the level of separation,  because we are dealing with the foundational doctrine of eternal life. 

If I say everyone has an equal.ability to call upon the name of the Lord to be saved, and YOU say, No, not everyone has that ability, that is a serious issue. I have personally witnessed the agony caused when a Calvinst had a hard time in sin and believed himself not of the elect, and it almost led him to suicide. I would perhaps talk with someone over the issue, but could not fellowship with them if that fundamental issue was in disagreement.

I am just saying that one can be saved and be either a calvinist or not, and while cam make for inyeresting discussions, not an issue to divide over! To me, thnose issues are like Deity of Jesus, Trinity, Bible inspration etc!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DaChaser said:

I am just saying that one can be saved and be either a calvinist or not, and while cam make for inyeresting discussions, not an issue to divide over! To me, thnose issues are like Deity of Jesus, Trinity, Bible inspration etc!

I guess we all need to choose our hills to fight on, but seems to me that HOW one is saved in the first place is a pretty big hill. Since standard Calvinist doctrine teaches one is regenerated before they are saved, that's plain heresy. But you pick your fights, I will pick mine.

• Members
On 5/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, Ukulelemike said:

I guess we all need to choose our hills to fight on, but seems to me that HOW one is saved in the first place is a pretty big hill. Since standard Calvinist doctrine teaches one is regenerated before they are saved, that's plain heresy. But you pick your fights, I will pick mine.

Are Non Calvinist even saved then?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DaChaser said:

Are Non Calvinist even saved then?

You mean in the opinion of Calvinists? Probably depends on the Calvinists-many of them have severe disagreement as to what a true Calvinist even is, or over use of the term, often preferring "reformed", so it doesn't appear to follow a man's teachings, (even thought it does). I suspect many would say that someone who believes they have a choice in the matter, are not saved. I would say, if you are depending on being regenerated before you seek salvation, it might give a question of your salvation, since you are depending on something completely unbiblical to be your foundation for salvation.