• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is Holy Communion?

• Administrators

In the Bible there are only 2 ordinances given to the local Church, Believer's Baptism (Acts 2:41-2:47) and the Lord's Supper (1 Corinthians 11:23-11:32). Any other ordinance is man made as it is not in the Bible. We also believe that the Lord's Supper is symbolic and does not actually become the body and blood of Jesus.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Angel said:

What is it in the Catholic Church and do we Baptists have a Holy Communion ourselves? Does the Bible say anything about this?

What Baptists call "The Lord's Supper" is called "Holy Communion" by the Catholic Church. Theirs is a two part process that is not to be found in the Bible. Before anyone can take Holy Communion they must first go to "Confession", tell a priest their sins, and he forgives their sins and instructs them to kneel at the altar and say certain prayers as their "Penance". Then they are supposedly clean enough to take their Holy Communion. None of this is biblical, it is man made Catholic Church Dogma.

• Members
42 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

We also believe that the Lord's Supper is symbolic and does not actually become the body and blood of Jesus.

So we imitate The Last Super to remember the occasion while Catholics believe they are actually given the body and blood of Christ?

• Administrators

Yes, it is to remember the occasion. It also fulfills His command as found in: Mt 26:26  And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
Mt 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
Mt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

• Members
On 1/1/2020 at 11:44 PM, Angel said:

So we imitate The Last Super to remember the occasion while Catholics believe they are actually given the body and blood of Christ?

The Catholic mass is called by them an unbloody sacrifice, where the bread is supposed to be turned into the actual body and blood of Christ sacrificed anew which goes against the bible teaching that Christ was sacrifice "Once for all" Hebrews 10:10. 

See also Hebrews 10:14

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
On 1/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, Angel said:

Yes. When Jesus gave communion He did not break off pieces of His body and He did not cut himself to pour out blood. 

This is an honest question that I have. If it actually does become the body and blood of Christ, then why doesn't it taste like it? 

• Members
On 1/4/2020 at 7:20 PM, Invicta said:

which goes against the bible teaching that Christ was sacrifice "Once for all" Hebrews 10:10. 

See also Hebrews 10:14

(Hebrews 10:10 and 10:14). So during the Last Supper He was imitating His death, the bread representing His body and the wine representing His blood. I understand He sacrificed Himself to save us from our sin on the cross but what was the purpose of the Last Supper? Was that also a sacrifice of some sort or was it so we would remember the event? Why do we remember the event and what's the reason for imitation?

• Members

1 Corinthians 11:24-25 King James Version (KJV)

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

• Members
On 1/13/2020 at 8:46 AM, Angel said:

(Hebrews 10:10 and 10:14). So during the Last Supper He was imitating His death, the bread representing His body and the wine representing His blood. I understand He sacrificed Himself to save us from our sin on the cross but what was the purpose of the Last Supper? Was that also a sacrifice of some sort or was it so we would remember the event? Why do we remember the event and what's the reason for imitation?

As Rebecca said, it is to bring his death and resurrection to our memory as we forget so soon.  The Jews were given the passover feast to remind them that God had bought them out of Egypt, but they soon forgot when they didn't keep the feast.  

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yes, the key is that Jesus said to do this IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIM.

My church does this 4 times a year. We usually have foot-washing in the same service, as Jesus performed it at that time as well. And our pastor always reminds us of what both foot-washing & Communion actually represent.

And we always have this service on the first day of passover, regardless of the day of the week, as Jesus did. Remember, the occasion was the eating of the paschal lamb at the beginning of passover.