• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Fornication and divorce question

• Members

Finding balance is a difficult road because it requires us to practice Biblical Church Discipline. That is tough when your head deacon is “sharp” in his financial dealings, or when your church secretary (that everyone loves) is also Queen Gossip. It is simple to keep an LBGT out.

And we really need to get think Biblically. I suppose you are welcoming of ALL, but just as nit-picky as can be who is allowed to formally join and serve. And our problem likely originates in the 5 minute professions we rack up as we beat the doors of the neighborhood down. If a pastor has never been burned by some instant convert someone made a deacon the next week, then they just haven’t lived long enough.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Spd1275 said:

Finding balance is a difficult road because it requires us to practice Biblical Church Discipline. That is tough when your head deacon is “sharp” in his financial dealings, or when your church secretary (that everyone loves) is also Queen Gossip. It is simple to keep an LBGT out.

And we really need to get think Biblically. I suppose you are welcoming of ALL, but just as nit-picky as can be who is allowed to formally join and serve. And our problem likely originates in the 5 minute professions we rack up as we beat the doors of the neighborhood down. If a pastor has never been burned by some instant convert someone made a deacon the next week, then they just haven’t lived long enough.

Yep. I welcome all through the doors, and all are welcome to sit and hear the truth. "They that are whole need not a physician, but they that are sick". However, it's takes a clear testimony of salvation, Biblical baptism and 3 months of faithful attendance to apply for a voting church membership. And public service in the church (music, teacher, deacon, secretary/treasurer etc.) are much more restricted. I consider church ministers of any kind to be much like a wife or a mule. A good one is priceless, but anything less is a $3.00 nightmare, and I'm better off without 'em. ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, Roselove said:

When Jesus says the only way you can divorce your wife and it be permitted, is if she commits fornication (either before or during betrothal, I suppose), is it a situation where the woman would be married to the person she had relations with, in God’s eyes (relations=marriage?) or was it not something that had to be done, but would be permissible for other reasons? 

Basically, what if the woman was truly repentant of her past actions and truly loved and wanted to be a good wife to the man. Would the man have to not be with her, to be in God’s will, because by God’s law, it would be forbidden, or is it something you can choose to do, if you decide that you can’t trust her or it was shameful in appearance or something? 

Also, is a marriage only legitimate if one of them is saved? I think I’ve heard that, but wanted clarification. 

I hope my question makes sense! 

Thank you

Apostle Paul stated to us that God views the marriage between a lost and saved as legit, and that the believer must try to make it work out, but if the unbeliever decides to depart and divorce, that person now freed to remarry again a saved person....

• Members
18 hours ago, DaChaser said:

Apostle Paul stated to us that God views the marriage between a lost and saved as legit, and that the believer must try to make it work out, but if the unbeliever decides to depart and divorce, that person now freed to remarry again a saved person....

14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 16For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

It doesn't exactly say "freed to remarry" does it?

• Moderators

Fornication, simply, is any sexual act outside of the marriage relationship. 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, heartstrings said:

14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 16For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

It doesn't exactly say "freed to remarry" does it?

Well, it DOES say the believer is not bound, (ie, the bond of marriage) to the unbeliever, which would naturally imply they are free to marry. 

• Members

I don't think it's MANDATORY that one divorce a spouse for fornication, but it's certainly not sinful to do so. I believe it's great if a couple can work out the prob & stay together, with no further transgressions, but, of course, it's not always possible, Christian or not. I know people who have gone down both paths.

And I believe the non-fornicating spouse is free to marry someone else.

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:30 AM, robycop3 said:

I don't think it's MANDATORY that one divorce a spouse for fornication, but it's certainly not sinful to do so. I believe it's great if a couple can work out the prob & stay together, with no further transgressions, but, of course, it's not always possible, Christian or not. I know people who have gone down both paths.

And I believe the non-fornicating spouse is free to marry someone else.

Think that God would want to see 2 believers work it out if at all possible, but if not able to, the abused spouse free to divorce and remarry someone in the lord.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 2/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, DaChaser said:

Think that God would want to see 2 believers work it out if at all possible, but if not able to, the abused spouse free to divorce and remarry someone in the lord.

Why think that way ?  It is directly opposed to KJV.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:04 PM, Roselove said:

Also, is a marriage only legitimate if one of them is saved? I think I’ve heard that, but wanted clarification. 

Remember somewhere it is written in the KJV that a man and his wife will be asleep in bed,  ONE will be taken, the other one left.   (Apparently one saved, one not saved, as also appears to frequently happen in life)

Or is there another meaning to "legitimate" that you have ?    Governments have their own laws concerning legal marriages,  many of them (all or almost all of them?) totally opposed to God worldwide today I think.

• Members

No.    Or show where in the Bible it is written that a follower of Jesus may expect an easy life,  free from persecution , free from beatings,  free from imprisonment,  free from mocking,  free from being tortured and killed (martyred) . 

Instead,  in a commentary on Jesus words at least, it is written Jesus says to not run from suffering, instead embrace it .   Realize the Godly Purpose and Results of being willing to suffer without resistance ,  whether at the hands of a cruel owner (of a slave),  or cults,  or government penalties.