• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

AcceptedintheBeloved

Silly Question: What Exactly are the Benedictines?

I am reading Dr.William Grady's Book, Final Authority about the history/ms., and canonization of the KJV as compared to the faulty Alexandrian ms., and I don't exactly know who the Benedictines are.  I know that they're obviously connected to the Catholics and established a monastery, but I am having a hard time finding an unbiased explanation of them on the internet.  It's not in Grady's glossary or appendix either.

They're (were?) a religious order that followed Benedict's rules. Independent monastic communities, black robes.  Not sure what you mean by needing an unbiased description... what other info are you looking for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Saint_Benedict 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedictines

There are many such "orders" among RCs,  with Benedictines & Dominicans being among the most well-known. If these orders follow Scripture, they emphasize some part of it above the rest, while many such orders are strictly the products of men.

Remember, the RCC is the largest quasi/pseudo Christian cult on earth, "having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof".

On 11/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, Salyan said:

They're (were?) a religious order that followed Benedict's rules. Independent monastic communities, black robes.  Not sure what you mean by needing an unbiased description... what other info are you looking for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Saint_Benedict 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedictines

I meant unbiased in the sense that much of history is written by those that conquer and that the Jesuits have managed to permeate many aspects of government and education, and I am assuming the press.  I thought about using wikipedia but I was weary of using it because sometimes the authors of a specific article are partial to what they are writing about.  Ditto for youtube, where there is significant censorship.

22 hours ago, robycop3 said:

There are many such "orders" among RCs,  with Benedictines & Dominicans being among the most well-known. If these orders follow Scripture, they emphasize some part of it above the rest, while many such orders are strictly the products of men.

Remember, the RCC is the largest quasi/pseudo Christian cult on earth, "having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof".

Right, the Great Private Interpreter.  

My thoughts are that considering the age of the order, and the consistent destruction of opposing books through the Middle Ages, you are unlikely to find that completely unbiased perspective. I would suggest using Wiki and 'reading between the lines'. It'll give you an idea of their basic principles and (whitewashed) structure. What exactly are you looking for?

They are a Catholic order - since the catholic 'church's has rarely been the 'loser' and you are talking about a catholic order, their history should be relatively accurate.

By definition, someone named Benedict was the organiser......