• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sola Scriptura

• Members

Weary Warrior

Dr. Ruckman had a firm belief in the AV being the preserved word of God: Robycop does not.

Dave,

I really wanted not to comment in this thread for my own reasons. But, yes, the other 'bloke' really contradicted himself. In fact, it was a big contradiction

Edited by Alan
their to this

• Members
30 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Hey guys, what about the guy I quoted from another thread who is clearly outlining a non sola-scriptura guidance?

Anyone got a comment?

Hard to comment on it...

Well...not really. 

I'm sola scriptura.

Until...

God will let people know in some way. His methods vary.

Hmmm...

• Members
On 11/20/2019 at 9:20 AM, JimR said:

It seems to me that most believers are guided by scripture but in their hearts they feel scripture is confirmed by the Spirit.  Still, we know we cannot trust feelings.  John seems to acknowledge that perceptions of guidance and insight from the Spirit are real when confirmed by scripture.  We have two witnesses: scripture and the Spirit.  They confirm each other.

1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

Scripture  is the proof that the feeling is valid.  But without the involvement of the heart, how can we love Christ?

i call this Sola Scriptura, but others might disagree.

The following is copied from the Wikipedia article on Sola Scriptura. It shows that while some of the Reformers felt scripture is authenticated by the witness of the Spirit, some baptists would disagree.

Sola scriptura is a formal principle of many Protestant Christian denominations, and one of the five solae. It was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by many of the Reformers, who taught that authentication of scripture is governed by the discernible excellence of the text as well as the personal witness of the Holy Spirit to the heart of each man. Some evangelical and Baptist denominations state the doctrine of sola scriptura more strongly: scripture is self-authenticating, clear (perspicuous) to the rational reader, its own interpreter ("Scripture interprets Scripture"), and sufficient of itself to be the final authority of Christian doctrine.[1] “

This "confirmation" is confirmed scripturally in 1 Co 2:10-13.  

• Members
On 11/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, weary warrior said:

Psalm 19:1, Psalm 50:6 and Psalm 97:6. Think about it a bit before you just blow it all off. It's a scary thing to take a God that big and put him in a box we can easily wrap our head around, dictating what He can and cannot do.  He can reveal himself how He chooses. There were centuries where men lived without scripture, and there are still 1,000's of languages and dialects now with no "scriptura". God has been revealing Himself to those who seek Him since the beginning of time, in any little, dark corner of earth. And since the scripture tells us this, scripture itself seems to contradict "sola scriptura".

I always get a little hinky when I hear Latin trotted out and used to draw a big ol' line in the sand that scripture never drew. 

Sure, Rome is anti-Christ...just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Then there is the obvious cf. in Ro 1:20.  It's kind of like how on stories of missionary trips you hear about people's conscience hearing of a Son who died but could not yet connect the dots until another is sent (Ro 10:15).

• Members
14 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Now you're making a statement that is more clear and concise.

Well, I said that you needed to stop doing it. Along with your disrespectful rendering of people's names in God's word, and your abbreviated hip-speak; your analogies fall short of their intended purposes...

Actually, you've been shown (in this thread from scripture) that there are other sources...

Psa 19:1 KJV To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Psa 97:6 KJV The heavens declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory.

Rom 1:19-20 KJV 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Rom 2:14-15 KJV 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Sounds to me like God says there are other sources...

As quoted, God uses/has used  other means to reveal Himself, but I would still say that His greatest revelation to the English-Speaking people was in our A.V and the missionary activities that emanated from this translation (Ro 10:17).

• Members
4 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Which God was God talking about? Was it God, or was it a god? Where does it say that the people mentioned in Romans only knew about him as taught by someone who knew him?

Seems to me that God is speaking about himself...not some other god.

With all due respect - Did any of them write about THE God before hearing about Him from someone who knew Him ?

• Members
3 hours ago, weary warrior said:

I'm gonna take a wild guess here. I could be wrong, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that robycop3 has some strong Peter S. Rickman influence in his background.

I'm assuming, Sir, you meant RUckman.

Actually, I'm likely the antithesis of the late Dr. Ruckman.  I'm not permitted to discuss why that'so on this board, but over on the Baptist Board, or the Christian Theology board, I'll be glad to discuss it.

Dr. Ruckman lost all credibility with me when I read his book, Mark Of The Beast, in which he says the antichrist will be a 10-ft. tall space alien  with huge black lips, who will impart the 'mark' with a kiss from those lips.

• Members
3 hours ago, robycop3 said:

With all due respect - Did any of them write about THE God before hearing about Him from someone who knew Him ?

You're arguing against God's word...not me. 

The quoted verses of scripture...of which you are sola...are very plain regarding what they say on this matter and about Whom they pertain to...yet you argue against them.

• Members
9 hours ago, robycop3 said:

I'm assuming, Sir, you meant RUckman.

Actually, I'm likely the antithesis of the late Dr. Ruckman.  I'm not permitted to discuss why that'so on this board, but over on the Baptist Board, or the Christian Theology board, I'll be glad to discuss it.

Dr. Ruckman lost all credibility with me when I read his book, Mark Of The Beast, in which he says the antichrist will be a 10-ft. tall space alien  with huge black lips, who will impart the 'mark' with a kiss from those lips.

Yes, I meant Ruckman. I actually typed Ruckman. But I type all of these posts on a cheap $38.00 Wal-Mart phone, and auto-correct is not my friend.

I knew you had read after him some time in your past. It's so obvious.

• Moderators
On 11/20/2019 at 10:57 PM, robycop3 said:

Appears there are less Roman catholic visitors here than there are on the "Baptist Board".  There, they insist Scripture PLUS 'TRADITION" & SACRAMENTS is the highest earthly authority, along with the pope speaking ex cathedra. This, of course, is phony as a Chevy Mustang.

And then you have the Jewish Oral traditions, that supposedly God wanted NOT written, but passed verbally through generations...yeah, we can trust THAT. The Mishna, the Talmud, the Kabballah, the various rabbinic writings, most are held as equal to written scripture/Torah. 

As for Chevy Mustangs, yeah you saw one exists, but really, is it any better than an NIV saying it's a bible? lol.

• Moderators

As for the OP, I believe that once the Lord completed his written word, Sola Scriptura because the SOP. Clearly, the heavens declare the glory of God, but they don't tell us ABOUT Him, who He is and His attributes, they merely affirm His existence and His power. But of course, before the completion of the written word, God used all kinds of methods, prophets, personal revelation, angels, an ass, priests, and methods we really aren't even privy to, such as how He dealt with the people of Canaan while the Hebrews were in Egypt-we know He had priests, like Melchezidek and Jethro, but did he give a written word and laws for them? Or did he work through prophecy and revelation specifically? We don't know because that was for them, not us.  

• Members
11 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

And then you have the Jewish Oral traditions, that supposedly God wanted NOT written, but passed verbally through generations...yeah, we can trust THAT. The Mishna, the Talmud, the Kabballah, the various rabbinic writings, most are held as equal to written scripture/Torah. 

As for Chevy Mustangs, yeah you saw one exists, but really, is it any better than an NIV saying it's a bible? lol.

But, how TRUE is it?  Remember, most Jews reject the Messiah, & look forward to building a new temple in Jerusalem & resuming animal sacrifices. So, how far can we gentiles believe their oral traditions? About as far as we Baptists can believe the Catholic ones.

• Members

Let me clarify my position...

I personally believe that God's word is our greatest source of knowledge regarding God.

However, Robycop (in my understanding of his post) said there was no other...cough cough..."intel" about God. God's word disagrees.

In fact, the verses that I quoted from Romans 1 are very clear. The knowledge of God is so clear, that it is MANIFEST in man...and men are without excuse.

Don't ask me to explain it, because I can't. However, I believe God.

• Members

Many of the first Christians would not have known about Christ from scripture.  The average gentile would not have been intimately familiar with Hebrew scripture.  They might have been illiterate.  They learned about Christ from a preacher.  Paul asked, how will they know if someone does not tell them?  After hearing and believing, the indwelling Holy Spirit helped them understand.

Maybe we should say the truth is found in scripture and accurate preaching is based on scripture but reading scripture is not the only way to reach truth.  Scripture- based preaching is reinforced by the Spirit.