• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

3 times forward

JimR

• Members

Correct me if I am mistaken, but scripture appears to be silent on whether we should be baptized backward or forward, as long as the procedure involves immersion/submersion/dipping.  My German Dunkard ancestors were baptized three times forward.  That seems to be tradition, as is one time backwards in other churches.  Are IBC pastors neutral about the choice?  When I was  baptized, it was one time backwards, but forwards would appear to be more comfortable.

• Members
12 minutes ago, JimR said:

Correct me if I am mistaken, but scripture appears to be silent on whether we should be baptized backward or forward, as long as the procedure involves immersion/submersion/dipping.  My German Dunkard ancestors were baptized three times forward.  That seems to be tradition, as is one time backwards in other churches.  Are IBC pastors neutral about the choice?  When I was  baptized, it was one time backwards, but forwards would appear to be more comfortable.

Good question. 

As far as the scriptures go, I can not think of a verse that specifies forwards or backwards, so I will answer based on my personal opinion.

It seems like to me that the symbolism in New Testament of dying and rebirth brings to mind one being laid in their deathbed on their back, and then raising back up to life. That makes more sense to me but I’m certainly not saying other immersions aren’t valid.

In Rabbinc Judaism (whose roots go back to the Pharisees) when someone converts they have to go the a Mikveh (like a small indoor pool filled with rain water) and I believe they enter the water and dip themselves under and up three times.

I personally have never seen a Baptist Baptism done leaning forward, but that doesn’t mean it’s not practiced.

• Members

In the centuries past they would bury someone face down as a punishment or condemnation for deep sin, or apostasy.  Since baptism is a picture of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, the symbolism of being "buried in the likeness of his death" would be tarnished if buried face down or forward symbolizing sin or heresy in Jesus.  This is only a possible explanation.

• Members
18 hours ago, JimR said:

I was reading an article about the history of the Church of the Brethen earlier and seem to at least stumbled upon why they baptize forward. “For example, they baptize in a forward direction because "we are baptized into his death", and at the moment of his death, Jesus' head fell forward.”

I still see frontwards or backwards to be non - essential, but at least I know now why they decided to baptize in that direction.