• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastoring involves?

DaveW

• Members

I don't want this to be an argument, nor for people to attack other people over this subject, but it does come up occasionally about the duties of a Pastor.

I wonder if people would post up one Biblical task of a Pastor per post.

There are so many things that people expect a Pastor to do in the course of his "duties", but not all of them are actually biblically commanded. Some of them are good things, some of them really good things, but some of them are not. And there are some things that Pastors do today that are things that EVERY Christian should do, not specifically the Pastor (So of course the Pastor should ALSO do them).

So then...… what I am proposing is a list of Biblically supported duties of the Pastor.

If you do not have a solid scripture to go along with it, then it shouldn't be posted here.

Maybe another thread with good, but not commanded Pastoral duties?

Or how about Posting the COMMANDED duties in normal black text, but the "good but not commanded" duties in say blue (this is actually "Dark Cyan")?

This is to try to outline those actual commanded duties, as distinct from the many expected duties of a Pastor.

For instance, Is it actually commanded that a Pastor perform funerals?

I am NOT SUGGESTING that Pastors stop doing all these other things, just trying to compile a list of "Commanded" duties, and Good duties, for the sake of comparison.

Final point: By "Commanded" I suggest that we include things done by example as well as actual command - but that things that have no biblical support be included in the "other" list.

I could of course do this by myself, but I thought it would be a good discussion thread.

• Members

Ok then..... I will go first.

2Ti 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

A Pastor should teach faithful men to teach men.

This is of course referring to the things of doctrine and salvation.

Could we refer to this as "discipleship".

A pastor should disciple men to be faithful teachers of God's Word.

• Members

I thought this would be an interesting subject, but I guess not.

I know I have had discussions with people about pastoral duties and it is surprising what people think are biblical duties for a pastor which are not. They are traditional.

Some are good things to be done, but some are unnecessary burdens upon Pastors.

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

I thought this would be an interesting subject, but I guess not.

Its a good topic and one I would probably follow but not one that I would be dogmatic about or really contribute a lot to as being commanded or not commanded or necessary or not necessary. As the command to take the oversight and to "feed the flock" are exceedingly broad and general but direct and encompassing a lot of things that would not necessarily be covered in detail but would make something not mentioned directly necessary as needed for the well-being of that particular flock.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

1 Peter 5:1-4 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: 2 feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; 3 neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

• Members

"Pastor" means "feeder"

A feeder is to "oversee". 1 Peter 5

Lead by "ensample" (example). with an exemplary life which includes loving people.. 1 Peter 5

His "feed" should be nothing but the Word of God, clean and unadulterated. 

He should "disciple" by spending time with people..  

He should also be mindful of the temptation to "lord" over others.. Luke 22: 25-27