• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Shoostie

I'm tired of going to church.

I've been going to the same SBC church about 20 years.  When I started there, it had about 200 people.  That's small enough to be familiar with all the regulars, but large enough to have a variety of activities.  Now, it has about 2000 people.

The long-time pastor finally retired. Truly, a good man, even if he didn't give hard-hitting sermons, at least what he said was always true and he did his job well.  I don't know much about the new pastor, but as far as I'm concerned, his sermons are nothing but fluff.  I don't get anything but annoyed from sermons that are always aimed at those born yesterday.  The pastor has a PhD.  Is that PhD just in church administration?  Let's hear some of that education in the sermons.

The church has moved to a more "modern" format, which I dislike.   

I visited a few other nearby churches.  None of them I could like. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:53 AM, Shoostie said:

I've been going to the same SBC church about 20 years.  When I started there, it had about 200 people.  That's small enough to be familiar with all the regulars, but large enough to have a variety of activities.  Now, it has about 2000 people. (5000 saved in Acts 2, should that be a reason to leave?)

The long-time pastor finally retired. Truly, a good man, even if he didn't give hard-hitting sermons, at least what he said was always true and he did his job well.  I don't know much about the new pastor, but as far as I'm concerned, his sermons are nothing but fluff. (due to "unScriptural" teachings?) I don't get anything but annoyed from sermons that are always aimed at those born yesterday. (Could you explain that?)  The pastor has a PhD.  Is that PhD just in church administration?  Let's hear some of that education in the sermons. (Is the level of education or the Biblical / UnBiblical nature of content more important?)    (Actually, I'm concerned with the idea that the pastor is willing to "advertise" his education)

The church has moved to a more "modern" format, which I dislike.  (not sure what this means)

I visited a few other nearby churches.  None of them I could like. (reason?)

What I'm saying is -- are your reasons for dislike due to familiarity vs unfamiliarity? Or Biblical vs unBiblical?

All the red texts above are my comments 

2 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

5000 saved in Acts 2, should that be a reason to leave?  I'm delighted with people coming to Christ.  But, I don't think that's what's happening here. Megachurches are increasing in number, but fewer Americans are going to church.  I believe the large size contributes to the "modern" trends which I don't like.  The large size prevents the pastor from giving personal time to his congregants.  Before a church gets to 2000 people, I think they should plant a new church. 

due to "unScriptural" teachings?  If I meant unscriptural, I would have said unscriptrual.  You know what fluff means.

Could you explain that?  Milk and soda, rather than bread and meat.  You know what a sermon aimed at a new Christian means.

I'm concerned with the idea that the pastor is willing to "advertise" his education Do you think I want a pastor who boasts of his education?  I want a pastor who goes deeper and relates a greater technical understanding of scripture, as a PhD degree should allow.

not sure what this means  You don't know what "modern", as in a modern-style service, is code for?  Sure you do, especially someone who goes by "OLD fashioned preacher."

reason? Most churches suffer from a number of large defects such things as "modern" annoying services, prominent unscriptural corrupting doctrines,  or ineffective sad-sack pastors.  For example,  I don't want to go to church to sing Jesus is my boyfriend (an element of modern services) or listen to a woman pastor (most churches outside the SBC and Catholic church don't oppose women pastors, and the SBC will soon capitulate).

5 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

I avoided details in my post because I saw it as unnecessary and an details would be an unnecessary distraction.  I was trying to be civil.  But, OFP, it looks like you were trying to be hostile. 

There's a nearby IFB church.  I'm not going to it primarily because IFB people tend to be proudly hostile to others, even to conservative Baptists.  Do you think that was a necessary detail that I should have put in my original post?

Can I ask why it is that your answers are appearing to be so aggressive?

For some of these questions we know what WE think about the statements, but what do YOU mean by them?

For instance, the idea of "Modern format" to me means a "worship band", a casual style of presentation, a multi-media based sermon, songs projected on a screen, and a modern Bible version used.

But I know of people who would not call that "modern format", but "with the times".

So it is entirely reasonable to ask what you mean by it......

20 hours ago, Shoostie said:

I avoided details in my post because I saw it as unnecessary and an details would be an unnecessary distraction.  I was trying to be civil.  But, OFP, it looks like you were trying to be hostile. 

There's a nearby IFB church.  I'm not going to it primarily because IFB people tend to be proudly hostile to others, even to conservative Baptists.  Do you think that was a necessary detail that I should have put in my original post?

You know one of the reasons I prefer face to face conversation over phone and phone over written communication? Lack of immediate feedback or clarification and lack of verbal inflection and/or body language. I was not being hostile nor obstinate. I also didn’t say anything about SB or IB. Actually, my SBC days date back to Estes Pirkle, Percy Ray, and Ben Hamilton - they would probably consider most preachers today (SB or IB) as being cotton candy (all sugar and air).

As mentioned by an earlier poster, I don’t know what YOU consider to be (fill in the blank). I was not classifying either 200 nor 2000 as too large or too small - I was merely using the church in Jerusalem as an example of the size should not dictate our departure nor adherence. In other words, suppose your church had 1200. 2 areas in your town (or neighboring communities) need congregations more accessible to folks than your current location. 2 preachers are sent from your church to start the new churches. Members of your congregation who live closer to the new works than to the current location are encouraged to attend the new work near their home. The original work now has 1045, church #2 has 125, church #3 has 30. If you live near #3 - would you go to such a small church? If you live closer to the original church - would you stay in such a large church?

My questions earlier were seeking to get a handle on what you are meaning by your words. The above is an example of why I didn’t “know” what you were saying.

The “modern format” means nothing to someone who isn’t around said format. Example - the format most Christians in this century are accustomed to would be foreign to the average Baptist church in the U.S. before 1840. They had all “secular” activities (offering, announcements, etc) either before or after the singing, testimony, praise, preaching or other aspects of “worship”. Today we are to “look unto the Lord”, wait, we need an intermission for the announcements, okay “look to the Lord”, wait, we need an intermission for the offering, okay “look to the Lord”.

I’m not online real often, please keep that in mind if it takes me anywhere from a day to 3 months to reply to any posts.

Thanks.     FWIW OLD fashioned Preacher refers to the preaching and teaching, not the polity or structure. Example: The idea of laying out of God’s house on 25 Dec in “honor of the birth of our Savior” is a wicked excuse to put family ahead of God (idolatry) - that’s teaching or preaching. Verses: We don’t have “China Doll chairs” (chair on the platform to display our “China Dolls” - um, I mean, the pastor, assistant pastor, song leader, et.al.) is structure.

1 hour ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

As mentioned by an earlier poster, I don’t know what YOU consider to be (fill in the blank). I was not classifying either 200 nor 2000 as too large or too small - I was merely using the church in Jerusalem as an example of the size should not dictate our departure nor adherence.

I don't think in Acts 2 that they disciples were in any church building, so your argument in favor of a large church fails.  And, everything that comes to mind plays a role in whether I want to stay or leave.

There are countless thousands of churches that boast of "modern" services on their websites, and they don't have a problem with people not knowing that that means.