• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does Modesty change with the culture?

• Members

My position on women wearing pants... I prefer skirts because they are distinctly feminine.  I do see that culturally modern Americans identify women as feminine in pants.  If we agree to disagree on that aspect, what pants are modest and which are not... what determines modesty Biblically?  Back when I was growing up tight pants were immodest, now they are the norm.  Is modestly culturally dependant? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I don't believe Biblical modesty changes. Some pants are modest, some are immodest. Some skirts/dresses are modest, some are immodest. What I think changes is our acceptability to certain things. Culture will always change, but sin will always be sin. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
5  The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

This is beyond simple modesty.  If I have to study a person by looking at parts of them I have no business studying to determine if it is a man or a woman wearing that apparel then they have already broken this commandment.  A woman should be wearing clothing that is not only modest but CLEARLY feminine at an instant glance from far away without looking at body features to identify their gender.   The same holds true for a man and masculine clothing.  

• Members
23 hours ago, 2bLikeJesus said:

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
5  The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

This is beyond simple modesty.  If I have to study a person by looking at parts of them I have no business studying to determine if it is a man or a woman wearing that apparel then they have already broken this commandment.  A woman should be wearing clothing that is not only modest but CLEARLY feminine at an instant glance from far away without looking at body features to identify their gender.   The same holds true for a man and masculine clothing.  

I am not aware that some of these things are actually in the verse presented:

1.  "A woman should be wearing clothing that is . . . CLEARLY feminine at an instant glance . . ."  Does the verse actually say that?

2.  "A woman should be wearing clothing that is . . . CLEARLY feminine at an instant glance from far away . . ."  Does the verse actually say that?

3.  "A woman should be wearing clothing that is .  . CLEARLY feminine at an instant glance from far away without looking at body features to identify their gender."  Does the verse actually say that?

Does the verse actually say that this principle is about the identification of a male or female from a far away distance through their clothing?

Another question -- Does God's Word indicate at all that there is such a thing as a unisex garment?

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

You seem fixated on the "distance".  My point is that even if only a few feet away I have to study a persons body shape and features to determine the gender of who is wearing those clothes then the commandment is already violated.  I can't imagine from the principles I see clearly in God's word that God would be in favor of even the concept of "unisex" clothing.