• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance unto Salvation vs discipleship

• Members

I sometimes can’t quite grasp the difference between these two. 

Jesus says to come unto Him for salvation, but He also says that if someone comes after Him, they must forsake all and pick up their cross. 

I know it’s not a physical seperation of the world or a promise to not sin, but I feel convicted that in order to fully put yourself on Him for salvation, you must see Him as such, to where you could happily run away from everyone/everything in your life. 

People see God in a cruel task-master sort of way and that’s why they don’t trust God enough to fully fling themselves onto Him and off their crutches of their family/friends/whatever keeps them feeling “secure”. They don’t want to forsake all and follow Christ, completely. 

So many say that you only admit you’re a sinner/know only Jesus’s sacrifice can save you, and be willing for Christ to change you, but it appears you have to go into salvation already with the heart of a disciple. That is most definitely what I see God saying when Jesus talks about hating our life/family/etc. 

Fully trusting Him, would mean no doubt when you come to Him for salvation. 

I’m a bit nervous because I still see God as too scary to judt be alone with because I know my heart isn’t totally trusting Him. I feel convicted that I haven’t totally trusted Him, alone and I don’t have total faith that everyone/everything is but loss, compared to Christ. 

People keep saying I’m wrong, but why do I hear God saying this to me?? Why do I feel like God’s saying I’m not saved because I wasn’t in this mind-set when I came to Him for salvation?? 

Please pray and help me understand if I’m misinterpreting something. 

I’m scared and feel helpless. I don’t want to value anything more than, God. But, my wicked heart can’t let go of all and see Him as truly a loving, so much better than anyone/anything God because I’m scared and the Bible says that people with that heart are evil and unsaved. 

Please be honest with me and please pray for discernment on what I need to know. 

• Members

Repentance in Salvation (not unto) is a fruit of salvation And is a show that you have been adopted by God. Discipleship is what you do as a child of God as any child you can feel ashamed of your sin and the fact you cannot measure up or that you are not worthy to be a child of a perfect God but those feelings do not in any way determine your position in God Though Christ. If you have called upon God as your father for salvation then God's Spirit is in you and you cannot be separated from it, no matter what you do.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Psalm 89:28-34 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. 29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven. 30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; 31 if they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; 32 then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. 33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. 34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

Romans 8:34-39 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Edited by John Young

• Members
23 hours ago, John Young said:

Repentance in Salvation (not unto) is a fruit of salvation And is a show that you have been adopted by God. Discipleship is what you do as a child of God as any child you can feel ashamed of your sin and the fact you cannot measure up or that you are not worthy to be a child of a perfect God but those feelings do not in any way determine your position in God Though Christ. If you have called upon God as your father for salvation then God's Spirit is in you and you cannot be separated from it, no matter what you do.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Psalm 89:28-34 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. 29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven. 30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; 31 if they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; 32 then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. 33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. 34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

Romans 8:34-39 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

That is helpful, thank you! 

I need many prayers for my mental/emotional struggles. I have always had ocd/anxiety. It’s a horrible disorder and I need healing. 

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 8/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, Roselove said:

I sometimes can’t quite grasp the difference between these two. 

Jesus says to come unto Him for salvation, but He also says that if someone comes after Him, they must forsake all and pick up their cross. 

I know it’s not a physical seperation of the world or a promise to not sin, but I feel convicted that in order to fully put yourself on Him for salvation, you must see Him as such, to where you could happily run away from everyone/everything in your life. 

People see God in a cruel task-master sort of way and that’s why they don’t trust God enough to fully fling themselves onto Him and off their crutches of their family/friends/whatever keeps them feeling “secure”. They don’t want to forsake all and follow Christ, completely. 

So many say that you only admit you’re a sinner/know only Jesus’s sacrifice can save you, and be willing for Christ to change you, but it appears you have to go into salvation already with the heart of a disciple. That is most definitely what I see God saying when Jesus talks about hating our life/family/etc. 

Fully trusting Him, would mean no doubt when you come to Him for salvation. 

I’m a bit nervous because I still see God as too scary to judt be alone with because I know my heart isn’t totally trusting Him. I feel convicted that I haven’t totally trusted Him, alone and I don’t have total faith that everyone/everything is but loss, compared to Christ. 

People keep saying I’m wrong, but why do I hear God saying this to me?? Why do I feel like God’s saying I’m not saved because I wasn’t in this mind-set when I came to Him for salvation?? 

Please pray and help me understand if I’m misinterpreting something. 

I’m scared and feel helpless. I don’t want to value anything more than, God. But, my wicked heart can’t let go of all and see Him as truly a loving, so much better than anyone/anything God because I’m scared and the Bible says that people with that heart are evil and unsaved. 

Please be honest with me and please pray for discernment on what I need to know. 

I’m sorry to hear about your mental health struggles. I’ve had chronic depression and anxiety since I was very young, so I sympathize with you.

First I want to say that you a correct about the steps to salvation - Accept. Believe. Receive.. We can only accept Gods Grace, we cant earn it or manipulate its effectiveness by religious knowledge that would develope  a  “disciple heart”. 

I personally feel like you are expecting too much from yourself too soon. I’m guessing that the majority of people who come to salvation still have some doubt or feelings that they aren’t trusting enough like you. Your salvation isn’t dependent on your own feelings or doubt..salvation is from God alone. Your salvation was sealed when by FAITH you accepted Jesus sacrifice for you. 

In my own personal experience, there was no immediate change in my life. In fact it was almost three years after that I finally started to bear fruit and become more bold about my salvation. We are all in the process of learning to trust him more, and gradual sanctification.

I notice you keep mentioning “feelings”, and that is concerning. You have to realize that your own person doubts and feelings have no effect one way or another on if you are saved. God saves..all we can do is accept.

Lastly I would like to address what you think God is “saying” to you. From the way it’s worded I have the impression that you believe God is speaking to you audibly or mentally. This my personal belief about that. 1. It’s my understanding that God no longer speaks to us in the way you are explaining. I believe that since Jesus was the “Word” that means his teachings are the voice of God. Today God still speaks to us through the Bible that was God breathed and preserved so we can hear his voice today. So if you are hearing doubtful voices then my guess it is either your own feelings and insecurities coming to the surface, or it could be Satan attacking you because you are a daughter of God now.

Take your time. Stay in the WORD because it is God speaking to you. Surround yourself with Christian friends. Don’t be embarrassed about doubt, we all have it at one time or another. Go talk to your Pastor about your concerns. He is there to help reconcile these type of things.

Good luck.

- In Christ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here is one way to think about it.  We seek to be obedient children of God but we will be imperfect. No one is good but God and He knows we will not reach his standard.  That is why we need his grace.  Anyway, we sincerely try to be good disciples but also we accept His forgiveness when we fall short.  This is not an excuse for living a wild life.  We keep striving toward the goal and we get better.  Look in the rear view mirror.  See how far we have come.  Progress seems slow but the mile markers stack up.  

• Members
On 11/3/2019 at 6:57 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

I’m sorry to hear about your mental health struggles. I’ve had chronic depression and anxiety since I was very young, so I sympathize with you.

First I want to say that you a correct about the steps to salvation - Accept. Believe. Receive.. We can only accept Gods Grace, we cant earn it or manipulate its effectiveness by religious knowledge that would develope  a  “disciple heart”. 

I personally feel like you are expecting too much from yourself too soon. I’m guessing that the majority of people who come to salvation still have some doubt or feelings that they aren’t trusting enough like you. Your salvation isn’t dependent on your own feelings or doubt..salvation is from God alone. Your salvation was sealed when by FAITH you accepted Jesus sacrifice for you. 

In my own personal experience, there was no immediate change in my life. In fact it was almost three years after that I finally started to bear fruit and become more bold about my salvation. We are all in the process of learning to trust him more, and gradual sanctification.

I notice you keep mentioning “feelings”, and that is concerning. You have to realize that your own person doubts and feelings have no effect one way or another on if you are saved. God saves..all we can do is accept.

Lastly I would like to address what you think God is “saying” to you. From the way it’s worded I have the impression that you believe God is speaking to you audibly or mentally. This my personal belief about that. 1. It’s my understanding that God no longer speaks to us in the way you are explaining. I believe that since Jesus was the “Word” that means his teachings are the voice of God. Today God still speaks to us through the Bible that was God breathed and preserved so we can hear his voice today. So if you are hearing doubtful voices then my guess it is either your own feelings and insecurities coming to the surface, or it could be Satan attacking you because you are a daughter of God now.

Take your time. Stay in the WORD because it is God speaking to you. Surround yourself with Christian friends. Don’t be embarrassed about doubt, we all have it at one time or another. Go talk to your Pastor about your concerns. He is there to help reconcile these type of things.

Good luck.

- In Christ

I really appreciate your encouragement and sharing your sympathy towards my mental struggles. That’s very kind, hardly anyone is willing to discuss those things, so, thank you! 

I am also encouraged by your thoughts on the matter that I wrote about, I’m going to add those points to my notes! 

Doubts can be very hard to share, I hate telling everyone my struggles, I just get so upset. I’m a very sensitive person, I’ve always been. 

I do have to trust that I’m saved. I believe/accept the Gospel and have called on the LORD to save me. I need to remember this! God gets the glory and longs for our fellowship, so I don’t think He would make it difficult! If someone wants Him, then He’s right there!

On 11/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, JimR said:

Here is one way to think about it.  We seek to be obedient children of God but we will be imperfect. No one is good but God and He knows we will not reach his standard.  That is why we need his grace.  Anyway, we sincerely try to be good disciples but also we accept His forgiveness when we fall short.  This is not an excuse for living a wild life.  We keep striving toward the goal and we get better.  Look in the rear view mirror.  See how far we have come.  Progress seems slow but the mile markers stack up.  

Thank you, I appreciate your take on this matter! It is helpful! I will keep this in mind!