• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

People quoting heretics.

• Members

Why do so many people quote heretics just because they say something 'nice' or cute?

I have been forced onto facebook (long story but it is necessary...) and it amazes me the number of quote memes posted that are from men who teach false doctrine but who happen to have said something cute or nice.

Do people not realise that quoting such men gives your approval to them, and promotes them before others?

You are in effect promoting them, their ministry, and their false doctrines.

• Members

People do the same thing with "Christian music" and Bible Versions as well. Simply put prole don't pay attention to who is saying stuff or why they are saying it. As that that takes too much work on their part. Particularly when people are sharing things on Facebook is when they are having their down time and as entertainment and not their thinking time. If they like it, or the person that shared it before them, they just share it as well with no real after thought to where it originated.

• Members

I've noticed the same. Just today there is an on going discussion concerning a similar problem. A pastor friend stated that he would not be reading or sharing articles written by Christians who look and act like the world. Most in the discussion are in agreement. One said they read the article in question and found it good and felt torn. I think many people just see the nice quote or article that they agree with or may be doctrinally correct in this one area and so feel it's okay to share, or may not know the person who the quote or article came from and so they share it. Sometimes it's hard to look past the good to see the bad lurking behind it. I've also noticed that many times someone will share an article based solely on the article title and hadn't actually read the article itself, or looked to see who the author was. This is very easy to do on facebook. 

I've found facebook to be a very useful tool, which is why I continue to stay on. However, like anything on the internet, it can be and is abused by those who want to take advantage of others. Just like anything in life, we need to be careful with it, including sharing or reading memes or articles by other Christians.

• Members

I think in some respects it is even worse today with the interwebs....

People can look up and find out about the person and follow them into whatever their heresy is.....

In times past the person would often just remain a name and nothing more.

• Members
On 8/23/2019 at 1:10 AM, Rebecca said:

Paul didn't simply quote a philosopher or poet and leave it at that (which is what is common to do on fb),..............

Thanks for pointing out that context is important, including the context of the OP.

Sometimes people forget that.

Edited by DaveW