• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist history

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

[quote="Jerry80871852"]Some Baptist do call their selves Protestants, perhaps some of them are. But not me and our church, we were never a part of the RCC so we could not have come out from among them.

I was reading on another Baptist message board one fellow was saying, The RCC was once the one and only true church, but they went wrong and a group left them and became what is known as the Baptist and are the ones who teaches the truth.

That is wrong. The RCC has never been the one true church and they have never taught the truth found in the Holy Bible, the are and always have been false teachers.

By the way, the RCC did not start forming until the late 200 hundreds. Jesus' true churches were already established.[/quote]

Hello Jerry. This is what I have heard and what I also believe. Thanks.

Tony

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

[quote="Kayla"]Brother Beller is excellent. He's from here in Missouri. You can view his website here:

http://www.21tnt.com

I would recommend buying his book "America In Crimson Red" it is a detailed look at Baptist History of America.

As far as pre-American Baptist history one of the best sources is a book by W.A. Jarrel called "Baptist Church Perpetuity" I read it this past year it was one of the best books I have read concerning Baptist History and the ancestors of our modern day Baptist church. You can read it online at: http://sglblibrary.homestead.com/files/ ... ntents.htm

Another would be "A History of the Baptists" by J.T. Christian. I also read it was very good. In fact I recommend anything by J.T. Christian you can find several of his articles on the internet.

I do NOT recommend "A Short History of the Baptists" By H.C. Vedder.

There is also a study constructed by a pastor out in Washington...Robert J. Sargent. You can order that here. http://baptistpublications.org/bbcp/ It is the one on Church history.

Brother I think knowing about your Baptist heritage is important. Be careful what you read and check it with several sources. ;)[/quote]

Thank you so much Kayla. I look forward to researhing the material you posted.

Tony

Guest Guest

[quote="tonyinsc"][quote="KJB_Princess"]

"Hello KJB_princess" I believe that I remember you from another forum. I pray that you and your husband are doing well.

>There's a Baptist historian, James Beller, who has researched and supposedly found proof of Baptists before the Reformation. If you google his name, you should be able to find that information.
Thank you. I will look him up.

>In my opinion, it's more important to focus on the history of the Bible rather than Baptist history. There have always been people who follow God's Word, but they haven't always been Baptists. :smile
I totally agree. The history of the Bible is much more important. And I also agree that there are other who follow God's word that aren't Baptist. But I think that if I know also of why I call myself Baptist....I can be more grounded. Thanks again.

Tony[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for your reply. Was your username "savedman" or something like that on the other forum? I think I remember you from over there. :smile It's nice to see you here. My husband and I are doing very well.

I'm just cautious of the Baptist history subject because I know those who major on it too much, and the meaning of "Baptist" becomes more important to them than the Bible. I don't have a problem with learning Baptist history, but too many people waste their time trying to find something there that isn't there. That's where Baptist Briders come in... they try to fit the Bible around their "heritage". It leads to things like banning people from visiting a church that isn't part of the "heritage", and silly things like that. I've seen it happen... it's really sad.

Guest Guest

[quote="kevinmiller"]I don't understand the whole "Baptist Heritage" thing. I'm proud of my Christian heritage and the Christians that suffered for their faith, whether they were Baptists or Presbyterians or Lutherans. We ought to honor the memories of any Christian that suffered for Christ.[/quote]

Hello Kevin. Please in no way think that I am looking down on any other denomination. I thank God for anyone who wholeheartedly serves Christ. But I do call myself a Baptist. An IFB to be truthful. I am just wanting to know the truth. Talk to ya later.

Tony

• Members

[quote="tonyinsc"][quote="Kayla"]Brother Beller is excellent. He's from here in Missouri. You can view his website here:

I would recommend buying his book "America In Crimson Red" it is a detailed look at Baptist History of America.

As far as pre-American Baptist history one of the best sources is a book by W.A. Jarrel called "Baptist Church Perpetuity" I read it this past year it was one of the best books I have read concerning Baptist History and the ancestors of our modern day Baptist church. You can read it online at: http://sglblibrary.homestead.com/files/ ... ntents.htm

Another would be "A History of the Baptists" by J.T. Christian. I also read it was very good. In fact I recommend anything by J.T. Christian you can find several of his articles on the internet.

There is also a study constructed by a pastor out in Washington...Robert J. Sargent. You can order that here. http://baptistpublications.org/bbcp/ It is the one on Church history.

Brother I think knowing about your Baptist heritage is important. Be careful what you read and check it with several sources. ;)[/quote]

Thank you so much Kayla. I look forward to researhing the material you posted.

Tony[/quote]
You bet. Anytime Brother.

• Members

Free Presbyterians is probably the denomination closest to sound IFB's. They are KJVonly, believe the fundamentals of the faith. The problems I have seen with them is their Calvinism, and their refusal to make an issue of the mode of baptism. Many of them do believe in baptism by immersion - but they won't take a stand (as a denomination) on it.

No, I don't endorse everything about Free Presbyterians, but I can listen to their sermons - aside from the Calvinism - and still be tremendously blessed by the preaching. I have not found that so with preachers from other denominations. They are either using modern versions, correcting the Bible, off on some major points, seeker sensitive or ecumenical, etc.

• Members

Baptismal Mode is the main issue I have with several other denominations. Baptism is the very picture of the death, burial, and resurrection of our Saviour. You can't taint that. Our forefathers died because they wouldn't let their babies be baptized, and they died the by very hands of protestants and Catholics alike. You know Martin Luther was actually for immersion until he found out that his contemporary Baptist ancestors believed that way. And I actually have the quote somewhere where he said he couldn't be for immersion because that is what they believed.

Incidentally, I read a really good article written by a evangelist in a Canadian online newspaper on July 4th, here it is:
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/3807

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]Free Presbyterians is probably the denomination closest to sound IFB's. They are KJVonly, believe the fundamentals of the faith. The problems I have seen with them is their Calvinism, and their refusal to make an issue of the mode of baptism. Many of them do believe in baptism by immersion - but they won't take a stand (as a denomination) on it.

No, I don't endorse everything about Free Presbyterians, but I can listen to their sermons - aside from the Calvinism - and still be tremendously blessed by the preaching. I have not found that so with preachers from other denominations. They are either using modern versions, correcting the Bible, off on some major points, seeker sensitive or ecumenical, etc.[/quote]

I listen to many Free Presbyterians and I agree. They can be a blessing if they stay off the calvinism.

• Members

Just to clarify: Free Presbyterians only believe in Believers' Baptism - where they differ (or don't take a specific stand as a denomination) is the mode; however, there are various preachers within that denomination that do personally stand for believers' baptism by immersion.

• Members

[quote="Kayla"]Additionally. Protestants and Catholics alike tortured, killed, beat, and persecuted Baptist forefathers for centuries. I refuse to place myself with the people that murdered the people that allow me to come to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ today.[/quote]

"What Hath God Wrought" by Dr. Grady touches on some of this persecution here in America. The book is basically a history of America from a Baptist perspective with a focus upon the spiritual (Christian) aspects of that history.

• Members

I read that book. I don't support it. It was poorly written. There is a good portion of the book where he mudslings Schaff the "church" historian. And then he quotes W.A. Jarrel and says he is a great author and is the source for history. Well when you look at Jarrel's book where he had quoted...guess who Jarrel got the information from? Schaff, Jarrel stated about his book that one of his greatest sources was Schaff. So you see...in a round about way he is being hypocritical. Anyway. Don't recommend it.

Guest Guest

[quote="John81"][quote="Kayla"]Additionally. Protestants and Catholics alike tortured, killed, beat, and persecuted Baptist forefathers for centuries. I refuse to place myself with the people that murdered the people that allow me to come to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ today.[/quote]

"What Hath God Wrought" by Dr. Grady touches on some of this persecution here in America. The book is basically a history of America from a Baptist perspective with a focus upon the spiritual (Christian) aspects of that history.[/quote]

My husband has that book and he would definitely recommend it!

• Members

[quote="Kayla"]I read that book. I don't support it. It was poorly written. There is a good portion of the book where he mudslings Schaff the "church" historian. And then he quotes W.A. Jarrel and says he is a great author and is the source for history. Well when you look at Jarrel's book where he had quoted...guess who Jarrel got the information from? Schaff, Jarrel stated about his book that one of his greatest sources was Schaff. So you see...in a round about way he is being hypocritical. Anyway. Don't recommend it.[/quote]

It's been a long while since I last read the book, and I don't recall the points you mention, but I enjoyed the book and found it to be an excellent read. There were some places later in the book where he seemed to have perhaps lost his train of thought or something as it didn't flow as well as the earlier portion of the book, but I got a lot out of the book.

• Members

Yeah, that was the poorly written part of the book. It was like where were you going with that? I can handle when people don't finish their thought process completely when writing...I feel left in the dark.

He could have left half of the book out and it might have been a good book.

Guest Guest

[quote="Kayla"]Brother Beller is excellent. He's from here in Missouri. You can view his website here:

Hello, brothers and sisters in Christ! Kayla, your posts are wonderfully, accurate! :smile It is essentiall, too, for people to take note of your last sentence, "Brother I think knowing about your Baptist heritage is important, be careful what you read and check it out with several sources". :thumb Might I add, that the world will "try" to fool you...if you let them. It is sad that many Baptists don't even know that they originated in the days of Jesus Christ! The IFB is the Lord's "true" church...and, the KJV 1611 AV is His written word. Although, I recogonize that many people come to Christ through different denominations...the doctrine the the IFB is the most accurate!

Also, many peeps know about the evangelist, Brother Bruce Musselman that "sealed the deal" with my salvation on May 9, 2003. For the poster, he is a theologean, historian, teacher of the Bible, and was raised in the IFB. He was saved at 3 1/2 years old...and, has a wonderful testimony of The Lord Jesus Christ. You may listen to his 6 part series on-line at my church. You will gain much knowledge in Baptist history. The website for my church is... http://www.crbc-online.org. If you scroll down to "Listen On-Line"...it is the 7th area down in that section. Brother Bruce's sermon's are in the Wednesday night section. You will gain much information from him...believe me, he knows his history. :smile Also, he is on the radio in Cleveland, OH...1220 A.M. on Thursday nights at 8:00 P.M. (Eastern time)...if you can hear it via satelite? Sorry peeps about the redundancy...but, I wanted to post my church website for the poster. Also, welcome to you! :wave: In Christ's amazing love. :Bible: :clap:

candlelight