• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

No Wonder The Mormons Like C.S. Lewis!!

• Members

I have read all the Narnia series - several times as a lost person and at least once as a believer to critique it. Lewis is a lost religious man who writes books that promote paganism, the occult and magic - all of which are forbidden in the Word of God. Have you read THAT lately? If so, you wouldn't be calling evil good!

• Members

This is taken from pages 202, and 204-206 of The Last Battle, the seventh book in the Narnia series.

In chapter 15, one evil character, Emeth, finds himself through the door (representing Heaven), surprised to be there. He thought he was going to meet Tash (the god of evil - and yes, the series does teach dualism and does refer to Tash as a god) in there. Instead, he runs into Aslan. (This is not the account of some evil person repenting and turning to the Lord - ie. Aslan, according to the novel - in faith, but of someone who was still determined to pursue evil [going through the door specifically to meet/see Tash face to face] and was surprised at where he was and at Aslan's attitude towards him.)

"For always since I was a boy I have served Tash and my great desire was to know more of him, if it might be, to look upon his face. But the name of Aslan was hateful to me...

Then I looked about me and saw the sky and the wide lands and smelled the sweetness. And I said, By the Gods, this is a pleasant place: it may be that I am come into the country of Tash. And I began to journey into the strange country to seek him...

...there came to meet me a great Lion... Then I fell at his feet and thought, surely this is the hour of death, for the Lion (who is worthy of all honor) will know that I have served Tash all my days and not him... But the Glorious One bent down his golden head and touched my forehead with his tongue and said, Son, thou art welcome. But I said, Alas, Lord, I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash. Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me... I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him... But I said also (for the truth constrained me), Yet I have been seeking Tash all my days. Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek."

So, according to Lewis, if we serve Satan all our days, as long as we are sincere, God accepts that as service to Himself. What blasphemy!! Nothing like a bit of Universalism to add to the mix!

Guest Guest

[quote]So, according to Lewis, if we serve Satan all our days, as long as we are sincere, God accepts that as service to Himself. What blasphemy!![/quote]

Yes, doesn't look good does it. like I said, I never actually read narnia because I was turned off by bad doctrine in some of his other books before I got there, but truly it is written:

[color=#0000FF]"James 3:11-12 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh."[/color]

• Members

Wow, I thought the second one was ten times better than the first. It was a whole lot more fun and had a much stronger allegory in it. I loved how Peter couldn't defeat the evil in his own strength but that he had to wait on Aslan and that it was Aslan that had actually defeated the white witch and not him. The first one kind of dragged on but the second one was the shortest two hours I've ever spent in a movie theater. :thumb

• Members
I never could understand why so many IFB didn't seem to have a problem with C.S. Lewis. I have heard him recommended from the pulpits(not at my church) of generally sound IFB churches. Then I looked at his books and :barfy:. How a IFB could actually read his writings and still recommend him is beyond me... The mans doctrine is so currupted if he were modern day most IFB's would denounce him and his books right away... Not sure why the fact that he was long ago and now dead somehow makes him a "great Christian author" in the eyes of some.

For some, I think the problem comes from lack of true knowledge and understanding. They have read some good things about Lewis. They may have read some quotes by Lewis they liked. They see other Christians like Lewis so they assume he was a great Christian and quote his works.

Without having actually read Lewis themselves, they have allowed themselves to be deceived by the comments of others and by a few good sounding quotes that in no way reveal the true nature of Lewis or his idea of Christianity.

• Administrators

I think allegory is a great way to teach things. Pilgrim's Progress is a wonderful allegory, as is the Holy War. But they are on a different plane than Narnia. The Chronicles are alluring - this type of writing often is. And, just for the record - I read them long, long ago and know wherewith I speak. And I'm sure the second movie is fantastic. It's truly amazing what the big screen can do. But...

Can anyone give any scripture in support of the Chronicles? And I mean one not taken out of context. The books contain many things that are borderline if not downright blasphemous - and when it's mentioned, people get snotty! Lewis was a good author, no doubt about that, but do his writings withstand the scrutiny of scripture?

I'd have to say no, they don't. And I enjoyed the books as a young person. I saw the first movie. It was true to the book, and it was executed well. But it was ungodly. Plain and simple. So now do we excuse ungodliness if we put a veneer of supposed Christianity to it?

I think that's what we do when we promote Lewis' stuff. For those who disagree, please find scripture to support it. There is nothing in there that truly edifies a believer or points an unbeliever to Christ.

• Members
I think allegory is a great way to teach things. Pilgrim's Progress is a wonderful allegory, as is the Holy War. But they are on a different plane than Narnia. The Chronicles are alluring - this type of writing often is. And, just for the record - I read them long, long ago and know wherewith I speak. And I'm sure the second movie is fantastic. It's truly amazing what the big screen can do. But...

Can anyone give any scripture in support of the Chronicles? And I mean one not taken out of context. The books contain many things that are borderline if not downright blasphemous - and when it's mentioned, people get snotty! Lewis was a good author, no doubt about that, but do his writings withstand the scrutiny of scripture?

I'd have to say no, they don't. And I enjoyed the books as a young person. I saw the first movie. It was true to the book, and it was executed well. But it was ungodly. Plain and simple. So now do we excuse ungodliness if we put a veneer of supposed Christianity to it?

I think that's what we do when we promote Lewis' stuff. For those who disagree, please find scripture to support it. There is nothing in there that truly edifies a believer or points an unbeliever to Christ.

:goodpost:

As to this question you wrote: "So now do we excuse ungodliness if we put a veneer of supposed Christianity to it?"

Among many professing Christians the answer would be "yes". I'm not even speaking specifically of Lewis, his books or the movies based upon them, but about a plethora of things. Look at all that professing Christianity accepts today...

Singers/bands who call themselves Christian yet they purposefully look like the world (long hair, tattoos, immodest dress, etc.) and they puposefully act like the world in their public appearances (dancing like the world, using worldly gestures, posing like street toughs, etc.).

Youth pastors who act more like worldly teenagers, dressing like them and using their 'entertainment' as part of their youth group programs.

Yoga for Christians.

Watching horrible, sometimes even sex-filled movies "for the discussion opportunity", or "to know what the world is really like", or "for the good parts (which might amount to 30 seconds in a two hour movie!).

Preaching from "Christian" books and paraphrase "Bibles" rather than preaching the Whole Word of God.

Etc......

• Members

Jerry,

You have the avatar that screams WAKE UP CALL!! What or why is it that you can't see that all of the subject of this thread is part of the grand delusion that Satan will cloud the minds of the Churched? This generation is getting set up for chastisement. They will believe what they want too and as such are being defiled by such authors that equate service to Christ as that of service to Satan. Acceptance of one into Heaven without repentance from former service of the enemy? That is blatant disregard of Scripture. Remember, God will chastise those He loves and they will repent of their backsliding before they can be reconciled.

• Members

Kevin and Kathie, you are doing exactly what God commands you not to - calling evil good:

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

In a thread exposing evil, you are determined to praise it. That shows either a love for darkness and error or a serious lack of discernment. God says woe unto you - that's the opposite of Him wanting to bless you. It is serious stuff.

• Members
Kevin and Kathie, you are doing exactly what God commands you not to - calling evil good:

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

In a thread exposing evil, you are determined to praise it. That shows either a love for darkness and error or a serious lack of discernment. God says woe unto you - that's the opposite of Him wanting to bless you. It is serious stuff.

Amen to that brother. :thumb

• Members
You have the avatar that screams WAKE UP CALL!! What or why is it that you can't see that all of the subject of this thread is part of the grand delusion that Satan will cloud the minds of the Churched?

I can see it - which is why I am exposing it for others to see.

I added a bit more to the second quote on page 2 of this thread, to give more of the context.

Guest Guest

What's funny is, I got bored reading the Narnia book series, and the only reason I'm interested in the movies is because it's got an interesting storyline. I don't really care about the allegory of it, because I know C.S. Lewis was seriously messed up in his doctrine. As long as it doesn't promote witchcraft (like Harry Potter does), I don't see how it's "evil".

Why do I even bother.... you're gonna tear this post apart anyway and accuse me of being wicked and evil. For the record, I don't even care about Narnia. The books and movies could've never existed and it wouldn't have mattered to me. What matters is that people are making a big deal out of nothing. (Have you seen anyone worshipping Aslan because of the movies? I haven't! It's just fiction!)