• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

No Wonder The Mormons Like C.S. Lewis!!

• Members

I found a copy of C.S. Lewis' book, Mere Christianity, in a box at work (containing books left by clients at the Mission). Years ago, I had read the introduction and found some things in there very offensive. Last night, I was skimming through it to find those parts, and started reading and skimming other parts of it too. So far, I haven't found any Scripture in it (from all that I have read in the book, he certainly has a low view of the inspiration of Scripture - believing it is simply men writing their religious experience down, not as the Word of God and the only source of objective truth) - and he is so off the wall it isn't funny. Where are Christian''s discernment?!?

Aside from various references about believers being/becoming Christs themselves (rather than becoming more Christlike), this was quite disturbing:

"The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor it is a command to do the impossbile. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible), that we were 'gods' and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him - for we can prevent Him, if we choose - He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, a dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful, but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said." (Taken from pages 205-206 of the edition I have, the last 2 pages of chapter 9.)

If you read C.S. Lewis or have ever promoted his books - or especially this book - Wake up people!!

• Administrators

Whoa - I've never really been interested in reading that book. I have a friend who read it and loved it, so I thought about reading it just to see what she saw in it...I'm thinking she's not very discerning! Even if the rest of the book was wonderful, that little tid-bit would cause me to tell someone to stay away from it!

Thanks for posting this, Jerry. I may still read it just to have knowledge of the entire thing, but a heads up is always great! I would approach any of his nonfiction with wariness, but even more so now.

Old fashioned - they were indeed great friends, and one of them led the other to the Lord, according to testimony - I'm thinking Tolkien led Lewis, but can't remember for sure.

• Members

Tolkien and Lewis were drinking buddies. Tolkien was a Catholic - and Lewis was getting the last rites (ie. joining the Catholic church) when he died. Both their fantasy books are filled with magic and the occult, and many pagan elements. Lewis has river gods, tree gods, and Bacchus (the god of drunken reverly) in his Narnia books. In The Last Battle, Lewis presents a character who served Satan his whole life (can't remember right now what the Evil One was named in that book), and was surprised to be in Heaven with everyone else (yes, Lewis believed in Universalism). Upon asking Aslan (the character representing Jesus) this, he was told that the service he did to Satan was actually done to Aslan - though he did not know it! - and that is why he is in Heaven. So it doesn't matter what you believe or who you serve (God or Satan) as long as you are sincere!!

I am going to the library now to see if I can get that book and I will give the exact quotes from it and post them here, so no one will accuse me of ripping my statements out of context.

Guest Guest

[quote="kevinmiller"]I'm not sure if anyone saw Prince Caspian when it came out but, if you watched it, I think you would find the allegory to be quite fascinating and very easy to see. I really enjoyed it, if not just from the allegorical standpoint.[/quote]

We saw it, too. It was pretty good... but not as good as the first movie, in my opinion.

• Members

That's impressive - magic and the occult/paganism in a positive light. Perhaps we can show it in our church on Halloween night, inbetween the tattooing sessions and the tarot card readings.

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]That's impressive - magic and the occult/paganism in a positive light. Perhaps we can show it in our church on Halloween night, inbetween the tattooing sessions and the tarot card readings.[/quote]

I've never seen that movie. Does it have all of that in it?

I have a big book that is a collection of Lewis' works; it's the Complete Signature Classics, but I've never read any of it. I've had it for several years but I've never felt any compulsion to read any of it.

Guest Guest

[quote="Jerry"]That's impressive - magic and the occult/paganism in a positive light. Perhaps we can show it in our church on Halloween night, inbetween the tattooing sessions and the tarot card readings.[/quote]

Jerry,

You obviously know nothing about C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia" series, so please reserve judgment and refrain from using such snide comments directed at my wife until you know what you're talking about.

Sincerely,
Kathie's Husband

[color=#BF0080]
(P.S. My husband says if you have any problems with this post, email him at MC1171611@gmail.com because he told me to post this. ~Kathie)[/color]

Guest Guest

I never could understand why so many IFB didn't seem to have a problem with C.S. Lewis. I have heard him recommended from the pulpits(not at my church) of generally sound IFB churches. Then I looked at his books and :barfy:. How a IFB could actually read his writings and still recommend him is beyond me... The mans doctrine is so currupted if he were modern day most IFB's would denounce him and his books right away... Not sure why the fact that he was long ago and now dead somehow makes him a "great Christian author" in the eyes of some.

• Members

I have read the Narnia books and a few other Lewis books. The Narnia books were books about the war about good and evil. I read a quote by Lewis that it wasn't supposed to be Jesus is Aslan. Just books to entertain. Just like Tolkien books and for that matter Harry Potter. Lewis was very confused on what he believed. Mere Christianity which I have read I think did some damage to christianity. It had an atittude of hey anyone who says they are saved is and lets not judge. I don't like alegory. The Shack, is a new book that tries to be allegoracal but just comes out with blasphemy. If you want to write a christian book stay away from allegory and just write what you think.

Guest Guest

I read the screwtape letters first and they had some weird stuff but I don't recall them as being "too bad"(though it has been quite a while). Then I looked at some of his non-fiction, never got around to narnia or anything else, had more than enough. :thumbdown