• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Official Position on Divorce and Remarriage Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches

• Members

Is there a majority position (or sole position) on the positions of (a) divorce and (b) remarriage in the Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches in the USA? If so, is there a position paper that has broad support among IFB churches? And what is the approximate percentage of this majority view on these two positions, followed by the percentage of minority views?

For example, do the IFB churches hold to one position only such as no divorce for any reason or divorce for fornication only?

And likewise on remarriage, do the IFB churches not allow it at all, or perhaps for only one or two reasons?

Finally, has the current sole or majority IFB position on the divorce and remarriage issues changed over the historical timeline of the IFB churches in America?

• Administrators

The "I" in IFB stands for Independent. As such, each church is free to adopt their own set of rules. IFB is not a denomination, convention, or association, so there is no "one rule applies to all" position among Independent Baptist Churches.

• Moderators

Due to the nature of the churches being independent in their autonomy, a percentage of what is believed, practiced or condemned by Independent Baptists (or Independent Fundamental Baptists, or Bible Believing Baptists, or Independent Bible Believing Baptists, or Unaffiliated Baptists, or Unaffiliated Independent Baptists - just to include some of the independently chosen monikers I've seen, get the idea yet? i - n - d - e - p -e - n - d - e - n - t) is not calculable (and can only be assumed) because there is not even a source that list ALL of the IBCs in the USA, much less outside of the US.

• Members

Can I point out that this is the IFB area of the site, and as such he has denoted himself as IFB......

He should already know and understand the independent nature of aan Independent Baptist Church..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for your responses here. As a member of an IFB church, I have spent much time researching these challenging questions of divorce and remarriage in order to be able to give "...an answer to every man that asketh  you a reason of the hope that is in you...". Also, because I do some bible teaching from time to time and soul winning, it is important to me that I do my best to have a qualified answer from the scriptures alone so I do not lead anyone into error but instead help them with a correct answer that pleases God.

Since I have not personally been able to come to a definitive conclusion on this topic, I have to lay it to rest for now. Which means I can not give an assured answer on this when I am teaching others, but can only give several of the prevailing views that exist.

My pastor teaches that the "...except it be for fornication" clause in Matthew was speaking solely of the betrothal period (i.e.of which the story of Joseph and Mary is given as the most common example relating to this topic),  and that this clause in this context is not applicable today for those wanting to divorce their spouse for the reason of fornication. So our church is taught that there is no scriptural allowance for divorce for any reason, and also if one does divorce there is no remarriage allowed for any reason except if the spouse dies in which one is released from the marriage bond and can therefore remarry.

I have studied out the betrothal/fornication view, yet can not come to agreement with it at this time. So I must add this view to a long list of other views that Christians have on the divorce/remarriage issue. 

So this is why I am in particular interested in those who have broader knowledge of what is going on in the realm of the many IFB churches, not just their own. I am doing my best to come to a more complete (and hopefully final) answer to these questions so I can be more pleasing to God in teaching the Word and soul winning.

• Moderators

The problem (if I am reading your posts correctly) is that you are looking for a majority teaching from IB. This may be to either: A) Use such teaching as your means to "give an answer to every man", or B) use the results as a means to later determine whether you can (or should) stay with or withdraw from IB as a whole as opposed to an individual IBC.

I would contend that you should (and perhaps this is your intent, though it is not the impression I get from your posts) study out the subject in the Word of God. Should you go ahead and look at the various angles, explanations, logic, verses, and refutations espoused by all "camps"? Sure, but don't look at any of them on the basis of a "majority rules" decision.

Only then can you be "ready to give an answer to every man" and be "fully persuaded" in your own mind.

• Members

Thanks Preacher, I am persuaded that the IFB churches in general are among the most accurate in teaching, preaching and exhorting members to live a holy and reverent life that pleases the Lord. That's why when I have studied out a topic as reasonably best as I can and can't find an answer, I will look at pastors, teachers and the teachings of certain churches I see that are closest to correctly (scripturally) teaching and living the Bible, which includes a clear observation that they are in alignment with the scriptures and are bearing much fruit.

I won't let that settle the matter for me on a given topic, but it is a useful indicator that I might be on the right track to truth and not waste time looking at pastors and churches who are liberal. Bottom line is, if I can't figure a matter out from the scriptures alone once I've considered all the evidence on a question I've got, I'll leave it as unsettled and simply say, honestly, I don't know. And that's the most honest answer I can give God, and He will be pleased with that.

By obtaining facts about IFB churches and if there is a significant majority of them teaching a particular position on divorce and remarriage, I can then look at the history of this position (e.g. has it changed over time, and why) and most importantly why scripturally would such a church type (I know IFB is not a denomination) choose a significant majority position if it indeed does exist. And it can be helpful to see if that majority position bears fruit. Once again, not basing my final decision on  a position of a type of church/denomination, but rather using these evidences from faithful churches to reduce the time to arrive hopefully at an answer when I can't make a final conclusion from the scriptures alone which is always my goal.

Edited by pkeck
typo