• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Death/Cross

Guest Patrick Price

Guest Patrick Price

Hi, I have a question it says in Luke 23:43 that "today shall thou be with me in paradise", however did Jesus not go to the heart of earth for 3 days as described in Matthew 12:40

And I thought Jesus did go to hell  Acts 2:31-" that his soul was not left in Hell"

Does this not support soul sleep?, Why did he tell the thief on the cross "today you will be with me in paradise,When Jesus didn't even go heaven right away ? 

• Members

Paradise before the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ was also in the heart of the earth. It was the OT form of Heaven - same as Abraham’s Bosom. Luke 16 speaks about this place. There certainly is no such thing as soul sleep, as those in the heart of the earth - whether righteous or wicked - whether in Abraham’s Bosom/Paradise or Hell - are definitely conscious. As of the ascension of Christ, all believers are now in Heaven, dwelling in the presence of God, according to Philippians 1:20-23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8. Hebrews 9:24 defines Heaven (the third heaven, ie. 2 Corinthians 12:1-4) as where the presence of God dwells. Paradise is where the OT righteous and the NT righteous dwell - however, it’s temporary position before Christ’s ascension was changed to it’s current permanent location. No one could dwell in the presence of God before the Lord Jesus Christ died and shed His blood for their sins, as no sin could dwell in the presence of God.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Amen Jerry.  Jesus did go to hell and preached unto those who died during Noah's flood.   

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:  19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.