• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Does God Say?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I was truly seeking scriptural counsel from a "multitude of counsellors," but I love how the Lord gives all utterance as THE Counsellor!  A dear friend who is not only saved but obviously loves the Lord has been dealing with some very hurtful family issues.  She has moved from the area but her siblings (doubtful that they are saved) have been openly gossipping and falsely accusing her to others locally.  It is a grievous situation as we live in a very rural area.  My friend  was back doing some business and visiting for the day and a mutual friend informed her about the bad-mouthing that was continuing.  With tears my friend sought counsel from me and the Lord truly helped me to give her an encouraging response.  However, Proverbs speaks three times about a multitude of counsellors, and so I would be grateful for any scriptural counsel offered here still.

• Members

Wonderful news!

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 8:21

Folks can use the tongue for evil or for good. Gossip, and or false accusations, is using the tongue for evil.

The Lord used your tongue for good, with good words, as a counselor, to your friend. We should love the power of the tongue, or the ability to speak, and be cautious, considerate, and full of wisdom when we give counsel to others.

I think one of the reasons why folks here may have been hesitant to give counsel is as more knowledge was needed to understand the full situation. To give counsel without knowledge can sometimes be hurtful or cause a miss-understanding. 

• Members

Pro_11:3  The integrity of the upright shall guide them: but the perverseness of transgressors shall destroy them.
Pro_19:1  Better is the poor that walketh in his integrity, than he that is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.
Pro_20:7  The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.

I have found over the years that when such gossip and slander is spread around, it is simply best to let the Lord deal with it, and do nothing.

It is really hard to do sometimes, but if you "stand in your integrity" the truth will eventually outshine the lies.

I have been the target of such attacks on a few occasions over the years, and it is my wife who struggles most with it - she cannot bear to see someone attack my character without cause.

The most recent occasion involved a man slandering me (and my wife and kids also to a lesser extent) to anyone and everyone who would listen, and it did cause us some trouble, but eventually the people stopped listening to him, because the lies came before people who refused to believe them because they know us. The gentleman involved eventually was corrected by others, and has since left the area entirely. He still is spreading his lies, but the Lord keep showing people the truth. Just a few months ago I heard from someone else who "had been told things" by this guy, and he contacted me to let me know that he wasn't buying what the guy was selling.

I truly have found that if I walk as best I can to serve and honour the Lord - not that I do it all that well - but the Lord protects me from these attacks, and each time the other person runs out of people to gossip to.

• Members

Thank you both for your responses!  Both of you referred to the book of Proverbs, which I also referred my friend to.  Even though this gal is a bit younger in the Lord than I am, she has an amazing love for Him.  She greatly desires to not only be in obedience to the Lord and His will, but also to glorify and please Him with her whole situation.  It was such a blessing to literally watch the Spirit working in her heart.  At the beginning of our conversation her voice was wavering and there were tears in her eyes from fresh hurt.  She does not use a KJV, but watching the transformation in her demeaner from hearing verses and portions of verses from the KJV was awesome (Heb. 4:12).  I could just see the weight of burden lifting from her and see peace enveloping her as her hope in the Lord was renewed yet again.

You're right, Alan...about how powerful the tongue is.  James 3:4 & 5 - "Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. * Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things.  Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!"   Thank you for your thoughts and desire to give wise counsel.

Dave...thank you for sharing about your own personal situation.  It sounds like I have a similar response as your wife.  I feel protective too when others are "attacked" without cause.  I did the best I could to encourage my friend and to remind her how in His time, the Lord brings things around.  When one's light (as in Matt. 5:16) shines before men then like is says in John 3:21...then "...His deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God".  I surely agree that if we honour and serve the Lord the best we can, then the Lord will protect us and the truth will become obvious and will prevail.