Jump to content
  • Welcome to Online Baptist

    Free to join.

Totoosart

Online Baptist KJV BIble College / University

Recommended Posts

Totoo,

I haven't been able to remember nor find the source that I mentioned earlier. I'm sorry.

Like Alan, the thing that helped me the most as a new Christian was time alone in the Bible...allowing the Holy Spirit to teach me. I remember those days with such love.

Aside from that, one book that really helped me as a new Christian was "Wilmington's Guide to the Bible". A fellow believer (and his family) gave me that book back in 1990, and it was truly a blessing. Though Wilmington may not be considered to be in the same exact lines of belief as Independent Fundamental Baptists, his work in that book (at that time) was very sound. That book is like a simplified college course in Theology. I've tried to find it for free online so that I could send you the link, but all I can find are just a few pages...which are of no help. All that I can attest to is the book that I have from back then. I do know that there has been SEVERAL revisions since then, so I don't know anything about the newer versions.

I would be willing to send my copy to you, but I don't know how China handles things like that. Do they inspect packages that are sent by mail? Would you be arrested if you received such an item that is based on the Bible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Totoosart said:

I couldn't find that book, but i have managed to find this:

Is this in any way the same and helpful?

I'm sure that book would be generally good but I have not read it. 

Also because it comes from "bible.org" it will probably not be using the King James Bible but their version called the "New English Translation" or "NET Bible" as a short name. The "NET bible" is an online "contentiously updated" version of the bible that also cross references many study materials to the bible passage you are reading at the time. Many like it because of the study feature and its ability to quickly be updated to reflect the latest and greatest in scholastic discoveries. The problem with this is that their bible is always changing depending on who is in charge and what the culture pressures them to change at the time. It also becomes too easy to rely on the study material to tell you what the bible says rather than doing the study work yourself. Which may be quicker learning at times but also causes errors of the teacher to be passed down to the student and will be hard to unlearn later when you find the mistake. 

Modern bible versions encourage the mindset that the "original bible" has been lost so we must "find" and search for older manuscripts that are "closer" to the originals. Therefor, this idea has let to many new bible versions that are contentiously updated and changed. However the bible teaches that God has preserved the bible and has entrusted it to faithful men to pass down to us today and that we will pass it to the next generations (Psalm 12:6-7, 2 Timothy 2:2) . The King James Bible is translated from the faithful text and is considered to be a faithful English translation of what was passed down to us. Therefor our bible does not need to be changed and can be relied on to teach us the truth. 

As you search online for study material, you will come across generally good teaching materials but if they use a bible different then the King James Bible then you will see that they ultimately do not rely on a faithful bible that was passed down for their teaching but believe the bible and doctrine can be changed based on what men can "discover" from places other than the Holy Bible. The Holy Bible must be the highest authority that changes us and should not be changed by lower authorities (Romans 13:1-2, Psalm 138:2). This goes for the study material we chose to use as well. The best study material will always bring you back to the bible in your study to find your answers. This is why I like the teaching material from www.baptistpublications.org

The book I recommended can be ordered from this link http://www.baptistpublications.org/p/D-ABCB.html

I am not sure of how ordering it from China will work but if you are unable to get it then we can look around for an online alternative that might work.

Edited by John Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I would be willing to send my copy to you, but I don't know how China handles things like that. Do they inspect packages that are sent by mail? Would you be arrested if you received such an item that is based on the Bible?

Dear NN,

Well, i must say, i am humbled and very grateful for your kind offer and also for your time and patience to reply to my questions.

i do not think it is a good idea to send me actual books, but if you can find any books in PDF, they are all welcome.

As you have wisely guessed, it may not be without trouble to receive books, especially religious books here.

As a matter of fact, life has been super difficult for me here, as a Persian guy, with all the politics going around about Persia (Iran - poor translation for Persia, politics, i guess, when they say 'Iran', one forgets the millennia history and culture!) and all, after living here for about 13 years, i still have not had the chance and opportunity to obtain a resident's visa, nor a work permit, nor any other human right, i'm always at home and try to stay away from anything.

Before last Christmas, i also kept away from any religious thought and beliefs, too. But then things changed.

Now i want to be a good Christian and i don't think i could ever be one wholesome Christian if i cannot grasp the Holy Bible and the teachings and precepts there.

The Holy Spirit and The Lord have graced me, but i have no experience whatsoever and as i have said before, this website i trust and the Holy Bible and nowhere else to go to for help.

You people have all been very comforting and helpful, bless your hearts.

Thanks again so very much.

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Young said:

Also because it comes from "bible.org" it will probably not be using the King James Bible but their version called the "New English Translation" or "NET Bible" as a short name. The "NET bible" is an online "contentiously updated" version of the bible that also cross references many study materials to the bible passage you are reading at the time. Many like it because of the study feature and its ability to quickly be updated to reflect the latest and greatest in scholastic discoveries. The problem with this is that their bible is always changing depending on who is in charge and what the culture pressures them to change at the time. It also becomes too easy to rely on the study material to tell you what the bible says rather than doing the study work yourself. Which may be quicker learning at times but also causes errors of the teacher to be passed down to the student and will be hard to unlearn later when you find the mistake. 

Modern bible versions encourage the mindset that the "original bible" has been lost so we must "find" and search for older manuscripts that are "closer" to the originals. Therefor, this idea has let to many new bible versions that are contentiously updated and changed. However the bible teaches that God has preserved the bible and has entrusted it to faithful men to pass down to us today and that we will pass it to the next generations (Psalm 12:6-7, 2 Timothy 2:2) . The King James Bible is translated from the faithful text and is considered to be a faithful English translation of what was passed down to us. Therefor our bible does not need to be changed and can be relied on to teach us the truth. 

As you search online for study material, you will come across generally good teaching materials but if they use a bible different then the King James Bible then you will see that they ultimately do not rely on a faithful bible that was passed down for their teaching but believe the bible and doctrine can be changed based on what men can "discover" from places other than the Holy Bible. The Holy Bible must be the highest authority that changes us and should not be changed by lower authorities (Romans 13:1-2, Psalm 138:2). This goes for the study material we chose to use as well. The best study material will always bring you back to the bible in your study to find your answers. This is why I like the teaching material from www.baptistpublications.org

Dear John,

As always, very thorough and kind with your time, thank you so very much and bless your heart.

Well, as i have just replied to our other member NN above, i don't think it is a good idea to order physical books from abroad, you might like to take a quick read at what i mentioned there about my humble life here and all i've had to go through. PDF or epub digital format books are easier to pass around and obtain.

Having said all that, just now i was lucky to receive a number of studies on the Bible from different publications and about different books of the Holy Book from an online friend i found a few days back. He has been able to find many epub format e-books for me. He is Chinese and he was saying that even he cannot order a physical book from abroad!

As for the differences between the Bibles used, well, i do have a KJV of the Bible here on my desk, and whenever there is a reference to the Bible, i can simply open up my own Good Book and read the book for myself rather than depending on their references, but thanks for the heads up 🙂

As you know, John, i would like to come to an understanding through research and ponder, rather than listen and follow without any thought. i know i may not be intelligent nor wise enough to grasp everything right away, but i am sure i can rely on good friends and helps such as yourself and Alan and other kind people here and i will ask questions or i can put forth what i have come to understand from a study and see what you kind people think on it.

i was listening to your sermon, John, the other day, and you were talking about 'Stewards of the Lord,' and i liked it so much, but then arose the question, what is a 'Steward of the Lord'? What are the duties and responsibilities of such a one? i hope you will clarify that in your coming sermons, or you might have, but i haven't had the chance to see it yet.

Thanks again, my man and take good care of yourself for us sinners.

Bless your heart,

Totoo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brother David Cloud has a number of free, PDF, e-books, on different subjects, that are a help in Christian growth, Bible Study, and on many issues affecting the Christian realm.

Here is the link to his fee e-books: https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/

Among other fine materials, Brother David Cloud has a free, PDF, "From Genesis to Revelation Bible Study Course," published in 1921 by Brother Groom. Here is the link:

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/genesis_to_revelation.php

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alan said:

Brother David Cloud has a number of free, PDF, e-books, on different subjects, that are a help in Christian growth, Bible Study, and on many issues affecting the Christian realm.

Here is the link to his fee e-books: https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/

Among other fine materials, Brother David Cloud has a free, PDF, "From Genesis to Revelation Bible Study Course," published in 1921 by Brother Groom. Here is the link:

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/genesis_to_revelation.php

Thanks a lot Alan,

i'll check them links out right away.

Your kind help and assistance is much appreciated, heartily.

Bless your hearts,

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the David Cloud recommendation. 

He has Pdf material available.

However, most of Brother Sargent's material is also available as pdf. If you contact him direct and explain your situation I am sure he can help you out.

Both of these men have good conservative Bible material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DaveW said:

I agree with the David Cloud recommendation. 

He has Pdf material available.

However, most of Brother Sargent's material is also available as pdf. If you contact him direct and explain your situation I am sure he can help you out.

Both of these men have good conservative Bible material.

Thanks a lot DaveW,

i've already downloaded 'The Genesis to Revelation Bible Course' Alan suggested above and i've started reading. 

i will try to reach Brother Sargent's books in a bit.

Thank you so much for your kind replies and time.

Bless your hearts,

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alan said:

Dear Alan,

Once again, many thanks for your kindness.

i've got a problem right from the very start, i hope it's a good thing.

i have got, as it says, a King James Version of the Holy Bible right here on my desk. I purchased it online from a Chinese online store. It has been published by: Christian Art Publishers.2017.

I have been using this since it arrived in the mail, and never doubted it. But now the first assignment according to the Bible Course is to study Tim: 3: 10 - 17.

There is no Verse 17 in my Good Book and it ends in a rather long verse 16, compared it with other verses above it.

Is there a misprint in the Bible Study course, or is my Bible faulty?

How can one ever know if one's Bible is correct!?

Thank you very much for your time, and may the Lord bless your hearts,

Totoo

PS: i must add, i just checked my PDF KJV of the Holy Bible, and just like my physical Bible, there is no Verse 17!

So i gather there could be a mistype or misprint in this:

Quote

 

Read the following passages at home the week preceding the lesson:

Sunday: Scripture was given by God, 2 Tim: 3:10-17.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Totoosart said:

...the first assignment according to the Bible Course is to study Tim: 3: 10 - 17.

There is no Verse 17 in my Good Book and it ends in a rather long verse 16, compared it with other verses above it.

Is there a misprint in the Bible Study course, or is my Bible faulty?

You may be looking at 1 Timothy 3. The assignment is for 2 Timothy 3
 

Quote

Genesis to Revelation Bible Course: LESSON No.1
"Read the folIowing passages at home the week preceding the lesson: Sunday-ScrLpture was given by God, 2 Tim. 3:10-17."

2 Timothy 3:10-17 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 and that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Young said:

You may be looking at 1 Timothy 3. The assignment is for 2 Timothy 3

Ahhh, that was so stupid of me!

Thanks John, i'll be more careful 🙂

Bless you all 🙂

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brother Totoo,

After my salvation experience I only had a New Testament.  In my upbringing we did not go to church, we did not have a Bible in the house, and, like my father which I followed to a ' T ' I was basically agnostic.

One of my fellow airmen (I was in the Air Force at the time), invited me to go to church so I went with him. So, one day after I started to go to church, with only my New Testament, the pastor mentioned to turn to one of the minor prophets (I forgot which one), and I looked in my New Testament table of contents and could not find the book. So, in my mind I thought that the pastor made a mistake as there was not the book mentioned. So, after fumbling around in the New Testament trying to find what kind of mistake the pastor made I finally turned to my friend and in a whisper I said something like, "I think he (the pastor), mentioned to go to the wrong book as I cannot find the book." My friend took the New Testament out of my hand to look ( and thankfully very politely), somewhat said, "the problem is not with the pastor it is with you. You do not have a complete Bible. The book the  prophet mentioned is in the Old Testament." At first I did not know what he meant by "Old Testament," but the Lord gave me some grace and after the service was over I asked my friend to explain more fully and help me.

I learned some valuable lessons that one Sunday morning. (1) I need to get an Old Testament. (2) I was very ignorant concerning very basic bible knowledge. (3) Not to criticize a pastor unless I have all the facts in order. (4) To hold my tongue. (5) To ask advice.

God bless you in your journey of learning the scriptures.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer (2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Alan said:

I learned some valuable lessons that one Sunday morning. (1) I need to get an Old Testament. (2) I was very ignorant concerning very basic bible knowledge. (3) Not to criticize a pastor unless I have all the facts in order. (4) To hold my tongue. (5) To ask advice.

God bless you in your journey of learning the scriptures.

Dear Alan,

i am very grateful for your kindness.

i totally understand and can identify and i apologise. i did not mean to say the good Pastor was wrong, mistypes and misprints happen all the time, but as i confessed to John, i have been too stupid to believe, and i hope you will pardon me for that and for my impatience. 

i will try harder and again, many thanks for your feedback and assistance.

Bless your hearts,

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

https://www.ttb.org/programs/the-5-year-study/study-contents

Dear Jordan,

Thanks for your kind link, i will take a good look and i hope to get the chance to hop on that bus along and learn.

Cheers and best wishes, bless your heart,

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings all 🙂

 

i've been reading the Good Book and i came across this in The Gospel according to St. Matthew: 4-4

:

Quote

It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Can someone clarify and explain what this really means, please?

Of course, i think i get the first part about 'bread', but what does 'every word' refer to?

Is this referring to the entire Holy Bible and does it merely mean that we should live according to what is set there for us?

i cannot take the 'word' as Jesus Christ, can i, since there it is mentioned: 'every' and there is only 'one' Christ.

But then thinking about the context of this quote, this is in reply to hunger. i am confused.

Thank you so much for your time and kindness.

Bless your hearts,

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS:

i started reading this chapter again and now i've got another problem: Matthew Chapter 4 Verse 1:

Quote

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

i may be very naiive, but i'd rather ask any way: 

There seems to be an agreement between the Lord and the devil.

i mean, although we hear that the devil is the fallen angel and all that, but according to such texts, doesn't it seem that the devil is following God's will?

i mean, in this instance, it seems to my humble mind that the devil is getting employed by the Spirit to tempt Jesus Christ.

What do you think?

Have a great time and looking forward to your insights.

Totoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Article Categories

About Us

Since 2001, Online Baptist has been an Independent Baptist website, and we exclusively use the King James Version of the Bible. We pride ourselves on a community that uplifts the Lord.

Contact Us

You can contact us using the following link. Contact Us or for questions regarding this website please contact @pastormatt or email James Foley at jfoley@sisqtel.net

Android App

Online Baptist has a custom App for all android users. You can download it from the Google Play store or click the following icon.

×
×
  • Create New...