• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What are you willing to give up?

• Members

For your "pet" doctrine?

This is something that I have observed over many years: that people find a pet doctrine, or are convinced of a certain doctrine, and they then proceed to throw away some very basic doctrines in pursuit of their new favourite.

An example of what I mean.

I knew a man who was rabid about the KJV and about adult believer's baptism - both good basic positions to hold. However, over the years he became convinced of the "merits" of Calvinism. Now in our city there were few Independent Baptist Churches that were even Calvinistic leaning, let alone full on Calvinist.

This meant that to find a church that would teach and hold to his new fav doctrine, he was forced to search outside IB circles, and the most obvious choice was the Presbyterians, who by and large are Calvinistic. The problem is that the majority are also infant baptism, modern versions, universal church, and other wonky things.

But he was willing to throw out these basic IB doctrines and a few others as well, because hey hold to Calvin's doctrines of grace.

The thing that amazes me is that even if Calvin's muck was right, why would throw out everything else for that one thing?

And I have seen similar things over the years, where men are happy to link up with prominent men who teach doctrines clearly outside Baptist norms for sake of a particular doctrine they personally are having fun with.

The latest is a guy I know who is rabid about KJV for instance and super conservative about music and "worship style", has linked up and is always posting quotes from people like Macarthur, who is modern worship and modern versions.

But he promotes his current favourite doctrine, and so he is happy to link up with him......

I just don't understand this - ignore the differences, which are often vast, to accept a single doctrine.

Anyone seen this phenomenon?

• Members

Could I be IFB, KJVonly and still have multiple wives like my mormon friends? ?

Just kidding...

I don’t have any friends...

I know what you mean. I have seen others do the same thing. They get stuck on one thing - good or bad - and are willing to compromise on other things to fit in with the circle that embraces that doctrine or practice. Or even accept more unbiblical things to fit in as well (like adding new legalistic requirements in food, clothing, etc. - not referring to personal choices, but embracing them as requirements for their new crowd).

• Members

Yes...I've seen it. It's a sad situation.

With that said, I'm still trying to get folks interested in helping me start a "Nonsense Church"...based on Colossians 2:21. Even though it's biblical (according to Colossians 2:21) for us to have no sense, it's getting hard to find folks that are willing to first cut off their fingers...then cut out their tongues...and finally to cut off what's left of their hands...in order to stay true to God's word in having no sense.

Hey Dave...send those guys my way...sounds like they have a good start in what I'm looking for.  ?

• Members
On 4/24/2019 at 4:20 PM, DaveW said:

But he was willing to throw out these basic IB doctrines and a few others as well, because hey hold to Calvin's doctrines of grace.

We had a good friend at Bible College that did the very same thing. One of the saddest days in my life was when he told me why he left a good sound IFB church and attended a Calvinistic Church.

Once my friend was entrenched in the Calvinistic church he stopped all soul-winning efforts and concern for the lost. This included his family. He raised his children with Calvinistic beliefs and they turned out sour. I would like to add that we still remained friends for years. As he lived neared a supporting church he had us in his house when we were in his area until his passing into glory.

Edited by Alan
capitalization