• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Amish?

• Members
7 minutes ago, robycop3 said:

I remind Moslems that the "prophet" Mohammed didn't make any prophecies, but that those in the Bible, especially Jesus, made prophecies that have come to pass, evidenced by recorded history & archaeology. And to avoid a "flawed" Bible  I use modern Bible versions.

I agree that Muhammad didn’t prophecy in the sense of the Old Testament prophets, but he does have several prophetic statements according to the Hadiths. 

For Muslims The Quran itself is proof that he is a Prophet of God. Muhammad is considered to be more of a Moses type figure than the Biblical Major and Minor Prophets. Muhammad isn’t looked at as a mystic or from purely spiritual standpoint. Like Moses creates an entire way of life and religion for Israel to follow, Muhammad is looked at as the “Moses” for all mankind perfecting it religion, laws (sharia), and final revelation in the form of the Quran.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Amish sect was begun by Jakob Ammann(1644-C.1730), modified a little since his passing, who had begun as an Anabaptist, but formulated his own ideas of "Christianity" The name "Amish" is after him.

To me, it's just another pseudo-quasi-Christian man-made religion that doesn't follow Scripture closely & is therefore non-Christian to me. However, I respect their rights to their beliefs, while at the same time praying for the HOLY SPIRIT to lead those of them whom He will to Jesus. While I witness to them when I have the chance, I generally get nowhere, as they believe they're either already saved or on God's path to salvation.

Some have criticized me for serving in the USN, but I ask them, "Could you be what you wannabee under most other regimes today? We fought for YOUR rights, among others."

• Moderators
On 4/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, robycop3 said:

there are several branches of Mennonites as well. Some are as apostate as Muslims, but the ones around here that I've spoken with seem to believe the Gospel and in salvation by faith.

They're named after Menno Simons (1492-1561) of Friesland, now part of The Netherlands, a RCC priest who became an Anabaptist. Most believe in salvation thru Jesus, the Bible's authority, adult baptism, and the Holy Trinity. They correctly believe that LGBTQ people can be saved if one renounced that lifestyle as part of repentance. (But unfortunately, some Mennonite pastors conduct LBGTQ weddings!) And, they do have more than one openly-gay pastor. (Depends upon the branch. Most do not accept this.)

Their heterodox beliefs & practices include no military service nor fighting, period, no holding political office nor voting,  & swearing of oaths, (but never deliberately lying in the slightest). Some branches dress as Amish do, as well as often using horse-drawn buggies (but not all the time), which often gets them confused with Amish.

If one is considering becoming a Mennonite, I strongly recommend one to check out the beliefs & practices of the group they're considering. Remember, IT'S CERTAINLY NOT SINFUL TO BE IN THE MILITARY, NOR TO DEFEND ONE'S FAMILY, PROPERTY, OR SELF! Nor is it sinful to vote or hold political office.  Those are MAN-MADE rules & should be disregarded by all Christians.

Speaking here as a veteran of the US Navy, I am not sure I agree with your last statement, though it is a difficult position. Scripturally, we are not to yoke ourselves with the ungodly, yet, in joining the military, we are literally doing just that, signing a piece of paper and making a vow to join with them, and placing ourselves as literal servants to the US Government. It was different back when there was no standing military, but all just went to work when the time came-there was no legal binding the same as today. And as I said, it is hard for me to take that position, but when it is literally to be yoked, being placed into bondage, to the government, binding yourself to them and to follow all regulations, (many of which have become very ungodly), I can no longer stand where I once did. (Sorry for going off subject a little)

• Members

Are Amish and old order mennonites all rigidly living the same lifestyle?  It might look that way from the outside but I don’t think so.  Amish bicycles can be found hidden behind a bar.  The young people have been known to leave home in proper clothes then change later.  History books report that when starting a new farm, the Amish would quickly make a moonshine still.  Amish weddings sometimes have a unofficial drinking location.  And everyone has heard about bundling, i assume.  Girls got pregnant.  So, Amish are people like everyone else.  But when they get in trouble they standup in church and confess.  The community helps.

Old Overholt rye whisky was started by a Mennonite.

the first reason for primitive lifestyle is to avoid contamination by a fallen world.

another reason back in Europe was persecution.  Might as well make a virtue out of necessity.

Now it is tradition and also separation from the world.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Both the Amish (all branches) & Mennonites(all branches) are MAN-MADE religions, whose origins can be traced back to one man, and not the Bible nor Jesus, nor any apostle. i believe JESUS & His apostles, including Paul,  gave all of God's rules of how we are to believe and worship under the New Covenant, & that the New Covenant replaces the Old Covenant.  I don't believe ANY man-made system of faith/worship is legitimate to GOD, & I simply won't believe nor follow any of them. My church, while calling itself indy fundy Baptist, follows only the beliefs & ordinances of faith/worship set forth in Scripture.  The Amish & Menninites are chock-full of man-made stuff, & we can only hope that some of them are focused on JESUS CHRIST as Savior from the penalties for their sins.

While their man-made hooey might not condemn them, it ceertainl doesn't draw them closer to JESUS.