• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Oh, so you are simply a heretic who doesn’t believe the New Testament and is not part of a sound Christian church. That explains it. So what are you? Seventh Day Adventist or some other cult?

Jerry,
re:  "Just to clarify: what are you asking or debating here exactly?"

John Young wrote that the "Early Christian JEWS of Jerusalem...celebrated Easter..."

I merely replied that I was not aware of any scripture which said that.    

re:  "Denying or questioning they gathered on the first day of the week..."

No.  John 20:19 and Acts 20:7 say that there were 2 times when they met. 

Edited by rstrats

Jerry,
re:  "Oh, so you are simply a heretic who doesn’t believe the New Testament..."

I believe the New Testament is silent with regard to anyone observing the 1st day of the the week for the purpose of honoring the resurrection. 

re:  ". So what are you? Seventh Day Adventist or some other cult?"

Neither one.  

2 minutes ago, rstrats said:

John Young wrote that the "Early Christian JEWS of Jerusalem...celebrated Easter..."
I merely replied that I was not aware of any scripture which said that.    

Acts 12 says it. Herod waited til after Easter to please the Jews. As Easter has always been the Christian reference to the morning Christ arose by not only defeating death but also the Roman seal that the Jews had requested bind Jesus in the tomb. Acts 12 was ten years to the day of the Resurrection of Christ and Herod was trying to reenact  an anti-resurrection demonstration Herod was attempting to do with Jesus' most popular disciple. That's why an angel opened the prison doors and freed him that day.

Matthew 27:62-65 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, 63 saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again. 64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first. 65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can. 

Acts 12:2-5 And he killed James the brother of John with the sword. 3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.) 4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. 5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

John Young,
re:  "Acts 12 says it."

I don't see where Acts 12 says that anyone was observing the 1st day of the week in honor of the resurrection.   

On 4/20/2019 at 10:48 PM, Invicta said:

Easter is still not passover.  The resurection was in the evening as the Sabbath was approaching.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:16 AM, John Young said:

Are you saying that Jesus' resurrection was on Friday before dark? The Jewish sabbath starts on our Friday night at dusk. 

I oblviously had a senior moment there.  I should have said "as the first day was approaching." 

On 4/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, John Young said:

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

The women began to set off as the sabbath was ending at twilight.  They arrived as the first day was dawning.  Dawning in this case (as I see it) can only mean the beginning of the first day, in the evening as the women arrived while it was yet dark. 

Mark seems to disagree 

• Mark 16:1-4
  • And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
  • And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
  • And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
  • And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.

Although Mark says they arrived at the rising of the sun, the stone was already rolled away

DaveW,
re:  "I might suggest though that Wednesday, Thursday,  or Friday for the burial, is not as important as the fact that the tomb is indeed empty."

As Jerry touched on, would that comment still apply if the tomb had been found empty on the 1st day after the burial?

Gentlemen, have you asked yourself why the ladies came in the morning instead of as soon as the Sabbath was finished, which would have been just after dusk on Saturday evening?

A worthy bible study for you to consider.

Scripture gives no command as to the day or days a church meets; each church decides what is best, as it is the assembly that matters. That they chose to meet the first day in honor of the day Christ rose, a perpetual remembrance, and to celebrate the Lord's supper on that day, is not a matter of scripture nor necessity, but of history. Many early writers have taken notice of this fact. 

As to Easter/Passover, seeing as how Easter's date continually changes from year to year, sometimes varying as much as a month one way or the other, while Passover remains the same (per the Jewish ceremonial calendar), if we are going to have a special yearly celebration of Jesus' resurrection, it ought to be on the Sunday after the Passover feast. Or so I see it. But thats just me.