Jump to content
Online Baptist
  • 0

"Good" Friday?


Question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

robycop3,
re:  " Simple truth is, Jesus was crucified on a WEDNESDAY...And I believe Jesus was resurrected just before sunset on the regular weekly Sabbath of that week..."

 

Luke 24:21 has the men on the road to Emmaus saying that the 1st day of the week " is the 3rd day since these things happened", with the crucifixion being the last thing mentioned as happening (verse 24:20).   So if the 1st day of the week was the 3rd day since the crucifixion, then the 7th day of the week would be the 2nd day since the crucifixion, which would make the 6th day of the week the 1st day since the crucifixion,  which would make the 5th day of the week the day when the last thing mentioned happened, i.e., the crucifixion and not the 4th day of the week as you suggest.      
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

robycop3,
re:  "There's simply no way to get three days & three nights from Friday to Sunday AM..."

A couple of ways have been suggested that the "heart of the earth" is not referring to the tomb so that the arrest in the garden or the 3 hours of darkness in the afternoon could account for one of the three nights. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Members
18 hours ago, rstrats said:

robycop3,
re:  "There's simply no way to get three days & three nights from Friday to Sunday AM..."

A couple of ways have been suggested that the "heart of the earth" is not referring to the tomb so that the arrest in the garden or the 3 hours of darkness in the afternoon could account for one of the three nights. 
 

The "heart of the earth " was just that. Just as Jonah was in the whale's stomach ("belly of the beast") but his soul was brought down to the bottoms of the mountains (at least in type maybe not literally) way below in the deep where the bars were shut about him forever so Jesus descended into the heart of the earth (call it hades, hell, Abraham's Bosom, sheol, the grave,  or whatever) to preach to the spirits in prison, to take the keys of hell and death and lead captivity captive (a jailbreak). The three hours among the Sanhedrin or on the cross explanation is a bunch of nonsensical private interpretation.

This is crucial to understand because Jesus was referring to how long he would be in hell (no, not burning in flames as some crazy Baptists say) not to how long his body would be in the tomb. He "gave up the ghost" and descended to hell at 3pm Thursday which was still daytime and rose again 6am Sunday which would make him being three days and nights in the heart of the earth according to daylight and darkness reckoning.

 

Thursday 3pm-6pm=Day 

Thursday 6pm-Friday 6am=Night 

Friday 6am-Friday 6pm=Day

Friday 6pm-Saturday 6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-Saturday 6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-Sunday 6am=Night 

Three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Now it could be argued that Jesus said to the thief on the cross that he would be be with him that night in paradise. This could mean paradise was in the heart of the earth at that time part of "Abraham's Bosom" or it could mean, based on John 3:13,  that Jesus was in both places (heaven and hell) at the same time. He is God so quite possible. Read Psalm 139:7,8 for further elaboration.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by SureWord
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Moderators
9 hours ago, SureWord said:

The "heart of the earth " was just that. Just as Jonah was in the whale's stomach ("belly of the beast") but his soul was brought down to the bottoms of the mountains (at least in type maybe not literally) way below in the deep where the bars were shut about him forever so Jesus descended into the heart of the earth (call it hades, hell, Abraham's Bosom, sheol, the grave,  or whatever) to preach to the spirits in prison, to take the keys of hell and death and lead captivity captive (a jailbreak). The three hours among the Sanhedrin or on the cross explanation is a bunch of nonsensical private interpretation.

This is crucial to understand because Jesus was referring to how long he would be in hell (no, not burning in flames as some crazy Baptists say) not to how long his body would be in the tomb. He "gave up the ghost" and descended to hell at 3pm Thursday which was still daytime and rose again 6am Sunday which would make him being three days and nights in the heart of the earth according to daylight and darkness reckoning.

 

Thursday 3pm-6pm=Day 

Thursday 6pm-Friday 6am=Night 

Friday 6am-Friday 6pm=Day

Friday 6pm-Saturday 6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-Saturday 6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-Sunday 6am=Night 

Three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Now it could be argued that Jesus said to the thief on the cross that he would be be with him that night in paradise. This could mean paradise was in the heart of the earth at that time part of "Abraham's Bosom" or it could mean, based on John 3:13,  that Jesus was in both places (heaven and hell) at the same time. He is God so quite possible. Read Psalm 139:7,8 for further elaboration.

 

 

 

 

 

Three hours is not "a day", 12 hours is a day, if speaking of a day and a night-24 hours total. The time began when He was placed into the grave, just before 6pm, so He could be just as he was, 3 12hr days and 3 12hr nights. So He was crucified on Wednesday, placed into the tomb just prior to the end of the day , meaning He was in the tomb Thurs, Fri  and Sat, probably reviving either just before the send of the weekly Sabbath, but more likely resting til the finish of Sabbath and resurrecting at the very start of the first day at 6pm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, rstrats said:


How do you reconcile that with Luke 24:21?

Everything recorded in scripture is correct, but not everything is factual. That he said it was the third day since it was done cannot be correct the way it reads, because Jesus Himself said three days and three nights in the earth, until His resurrection. We cannot make 3 hours into a day. I would rather believe what Jesus said, than a disciple who may have been wrong. 

As well, technically-speaking, if Jesus died just prior to the end of the day, He could have resurrected just prior to the first day of the week, which would have made it the third day since He died, though the disciples didn't come to the tomb until the start of the first day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Members
8 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Three hours is not "a day", 12 hours is a day, if speaking of a day and a night-24 hours total. The time began when He was placed into the grave, just before 6pm, so He could be just as he was, 3 12hr days and 3 12hr nights. So He was crucified on Wednesday, placed into the tomb just prior to the end of the day , meaning He was in the tomb Thurs, Fri  and Sat, probably reviving either just before the send of the weekly Sabbath, but more likely resting til the finish of Sabbath and resurrecting at the very start of the first day at 6pm.

As I said a "Day" as in a period of daylight regardless of the length of time.

If Jesus rose ON the third day (not after three days) yet spent three days and three nights in the heart of the earth this is the only way that makes sense.

Also, a Wednesday crucifixion would have him in the sepulchre for 3 1/2 days/nights if he rose again early Sunday morning.

Wednesday Crucifixion at 3pm buried just prior to sunset, i.e. 6pm.

Thursday 6pm-6am=Night 

Thursday 6am-6pm=Day 

Friday 6pm-6am=Night 

Friday 6am-6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-6pm=Day 

Sunday 6pm-6am=Night 

Remember, the Jewish Day (24 hour period) began at sunset and ended the following sunset.

I believe the days and nights our Lord was referring to had to do with daylight and darkness not actually twelve hours periods. Also, I believe Jesus was referring to time spent in hell (i.e. Abraham's Bosom) and not to his body laying in the tomb. At least not in that passage.

 

 

 

 

Edited by SureWord
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Moderators
18 hours ago, SureWord said:

As I said a "Day" as in a period of daylight regardless of the length of time.

If Jesus rose ON the third day (not after three days) yet spent three days and three nights in the heart of the earth this is the only way that makes sense.

Also, a Wednesday crucifixion would have him in the sepulchre for 3 1/2 days/nights if he rose again early Sunday morning.

Wednesday Crucifixion at 3pm buried just prior to sunset, i.e. 6pm.

Thursday 6pm-6am=Night 

Thursday 6am-6pm=Day 

Friday 6pm-6am=Night 

Friday 6am-6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-6pm=Day 

Sunday 6pm-6am=Night 

Remember, the Jewish Day (24 hour period) began at sunset and ended the following sunset.

I believe the days and nights our Lord was referring to had to do with daylight and darkness not actually twelve hours periods. Also, I believe Jesus was referring to time spent in hell (i.e. Abraham's Bosom) and not to his body laying in the tomb. At least not in that passage.

 

 

 

 

Morning begins at 6am, doesn't mean that is when Jesus rose, just when the women went to the tomb. Jesus wasn't there-He was already risen. Besides, He could have remained in the tomb until 5 minutes before the end of the first day, and it still would have been three days and three nights. Nothing that it cannot go over, however, again, there is nothing about the specific time He rose, so He could have been out of the grave, busy with whatever business He had, before the women arrived.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Members
4 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Morning begins at 6am, doesn't mean that is when Jesus rose, just when the women went to the tomb. Jesus wasn't there-He was already risen. Besides, He could have remained in the tomb until 5 minutes before the end of the first day, and it still would have been three days and three nights. Nothing that it cannot go over, however, again, there is nothing about the specific time He rose, so He could have been out of the grave, busy with whatever business He had, before the women arrived.

I guess he could have risen at 6pm Saturday night according to our calendar but I always assumed that since he was called the "Sun of righteous" in Malachi 4:2 and that the disciples met on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7; I Corinthians 16:2) it was early Sunday morning our calendar. 

Another thing that stumps me is when Paul wrote that our Lord rose again ON the third day. How do you have three days and three nights yet still rise on the third day? That would make rising again on the fourth day. That's why I figured Jesus wasn't talking about literal twelve hours days and nights but rather periods of daylight and darkness.

I'm probably over thinking all of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Members
On 7/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, rstrats said:

 

 

John Young,
re:  "We Gentiles don't but the Early Christian JEWS of Jerusalem did in Acts 12. They kept the Passover week as part of their National traditions and celebrated Easter (Resurrection Morning) at the end of those events."

 

Are you saying that NT Christians celebrated the resurrection on resurrection morning?   If so, I'm not aware of any scripture which says that.   
 

There are some Christian groups who practice Passover now. I see nothing wrong in either practicing Passover or not practicing Passover. I am sure Paul and the early Jewish Christians practiced Passover. It was part of their heritage.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Ukulelemike,

OK, so you explain the discrepancy by saying that the men made a mistake with their remark. Fair enough. 

re:  "He could have resurrected just prior to the first day of the week, which would have made it the third day since He died..."

To what day of the week is "it" referring?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Moderators
On 10/21/2020 at 4:13 AM, rstrats said:

Ukulelemike,

OK, so you explain the discrepancy by saying that the men made a mistake with their remark. Fair enough. 

re:  "He could have resurrected just prior to the first day of the week, which would have made it the third day since He died..."

To what day of the week is "it" referring?

Well, what day is just prior to "the first day of the week"?

On 10/20/2020 at 4:46 PM, SureWord said:

I guess he could have risen at 6pm Saturday night according to our calendar but I always assumed that since he was called the "Sun of righteous" in Malachi 4:2 and that the disciples met on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7; I Corinthians 16:2) it was early Sunday morning our calendar. 

Another thing that stumps me is when Paul wrote that our Lord rose again ON the third day. How do you have three days and three nights yet still rise on the third day? That would make rising again on the fourth day. That's why I figured Jesus wasn't talking about literal twelve hours days and nights but rather periods of daylight and darkness.

I'm probably over thinking all of this.

If Jesus died at 3pm, was buried before 6pm, let's say for argument's sake, 5pm, then he could rise on the 3rd day at 5:01 pm on the 7th day, just prior to the start of the first day, and it would cover both the 3 days, 3 nights requirement, AND still rise on the 3rd day. Remember, Jesus was already risen when the women came to His tomb-we don't know exactly when. I suppose it depends on just how legalistic, as it were, that Jesus had to be to fulfill all the requirements he set forth.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Ukulelemike,
re:  "Well, what day is just prior to 'the first day of the week'?"

So by "it" you're referring to the seventh day of the week.  OK, thanks. 
 

BTW, what is your support for saying that the crucifixion took place on Wednesday?

Edited by rstrats
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Members
On 10/22/2020 at 2:04 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Well, what day is just prior to "the first day of the week"?

If Jesus died at 3pm, was buried before 6pm, let's say for argument's sake, 5pm, then he could rise on the 3rd day at 5:01 pm on the 7th day, just prior to the start of the first day, and it would cover both the 3 days, 3 nights requirement, AND still rise on the 3rd day. Remember, Jesus was already risen when the women came to His tomb-we don't know exactly when. I suppose it depends on just how legalistic, as it were, that Jesus had to be to fulfill all the requirements he set forth.  

Yes, like I said I'm not sure it has to be a full 12 hours of day or 12 hours of night to qualify. If I spend a night at a hotel it doesn't necessarily mean I'm there from dusk to dawn. That's why I think that heis death on the cross at 3pm could have counted as one day in "the heart of the earth" since his soul would have went there at 3pm. Jesus commending his spirit into the Father's hand doesn't necessarily mean that it went to heaven.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Moderators
On 10/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, rstrats said:

BTW, what is your support for saying that the crucifixion took place on Wednesday?

I agree with it. Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the tomb, resurrected probably just prior to the beginning of the first day, so it could qualify both as 3 days and 3 nights, AND resurrected on the third day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

×
×
  • Create New...