• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Good" Friday?

On 7/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, rstrats said:

John Young,
re:  "We Gentiles don't but the Early Christian JEWS of Jerusalem did in Acts 12. They kept the Passover week as part of their National traditions and celebrated Easter (Resurrection Morning) at the end of those events."

Are you saying that NT Christians celebrated the resurrection on resurrection morning?   If so, I'm not aware of any scripture which says that.   

There are some Christian groups who practice Passover now. I see nothing wrong in either practicing Passover or not practicing Passover. I am sure Paul and the early Jewish Christians practiced Passover. It was part of their heritage.

• Members

Ukulelemike,

OK, so you explain the discrepancy by saying that the men made a mistake with their remark. Fair enough. 

re:  "He could have resurrected just prior to the first day of the week, which would have made it the third day since He died..."

To what day of the week is "it" referring?

• Moderators
On 10/21/2020 at 4:13 AM, rstrats said:

Ukulelemike,

OK, so you explain the discrepancy by saying that the men made a mistake with their remark. Fair enough. 

re:  "He could have resurrected just prior to the first day of the week, which would have made it the third day since He died..."

To what day of the week is "it" referring?

Well, what day is just prior to "the first day of the week"?

On 10/20/2020 at 4:46 PM, SureWord said:

I guess he could have risen at 6pm Saturday night according to our calendar but I always assumed that since he was called the "Sun of righteous" in Malachi 4:2 and that the disciples met on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7; I Corinthians 16:2) it was early Sunday morning our calendar. 

Another thing that stumps me is when Paul wrote that our Lord rose again ON the third day. How do you have three days and three nights yet still rise on the third day? That would make rising again on the fourth day. That's why I figured Jesus wasn't talking about literal twelve hours days and nights but rather periods of daylight and darkness.

I'm probably over thinking all of this.

If Jesus died at 3pm, was buried before 6pm, let's say for argument's sake, 5pm, then he could rise on the 3rd day at 5:01 pm on the 7th day, just prior to the start of the first day, and it would cover both the 3 days, 3 nights requirement, AND still rise on the 3rd day. Remember, Jesus was already risen when the women came to His tomb-we don't know exactly when. I suppose it depends on just how legalistic, as it were, that Jesus had to be to fulfill all the requirements he set forth.  

• Members

Ukulelemike,
re:  "Well, what day is just prior to 'the first day of the week'?"

So by "it" you're referring to the seventh day of the week.  OK, thanks. 

BTW, what is your support for saying that the crucifixion took place on Wednesday?

Edited by rstrats

• Members
On 10/22/2020 at 2:04 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Well, what day is just prior to "the first day of the week"?

If Jesus died at 3pm, was buried before 6pm, let's say for argument's sake, 5pm, then he could rise on the 3rd day at 5:01 pm on the 7th day, just prior to the start of the first day, and it would cover both the 3 days, 3 nights requirement, AND still rise on the 3rd day. Remember, Jesus was already risen when the women came to His tomb-we don't know exactly when. I suppose it depends on just how legalistic, as it were, that Jesus had to be to fulfill all the requirements he set forth.  

Yes, like I said I'm not sure it has to be a full 12 hours of day or 12 hours of night to qualify. If I spend a night at a hotel it doesn't necessarily mean I'm there from dusk to dawn. That's why I think that heis death on the cross at 3pm could have counted as one day in "the heart of the earth" since his soul would have went there at 3pm. Jesus commending his spirit into the Father's hand doesn't necessarily mean that it went to heaven.  

• Moderators
On 10/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, rstrats said:

BTW, what is your support for saying that the crucifixion took place on Wednesday?

I agree with it. Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the tomb, resurrected probably just prior to the beginning of the first day, so it could qualify both as 3 days and 3 nights, AND resurrected on the third day.

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On 10/20/2020 at 8:06 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

There are some Christian groups who practice Passover now. I see nothing wrong in either practicing Passover or not practicing Passover. I am sure Paul and the early Jewish Christians practiced Passover. It was part of their heritage.

Why did you quote my question to John Young and then comment on his comment regarding Passover?

• Moderators
On 10/26/2020 at 3:19 PM, rstrats said:

So your support for a Wednesday crucifixion is that you agree with your belief that the crucifixion took place on Wednesday.  

What was my whole quote: let's look again:

On 10/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ukulelemike said:

I agree with it. Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the tomb, resurrected probably just prior to the beginning of the first day, so it could qualify both as 3 days and 3 nights, AND resurrected on the third day.

Though technically, He was raised AFTER 3 days, which would mean very early, (or late?, at the beginning) of the first day.

By the timeline of the crucifixion, He probably went into the sepulcher maybe, at earliest, an hour, possibly less, before the end of the day, so He both met the requirement of three days and three nights, AND to rise after three days, (Matt 27:63; Mark 8:31). Simple math.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:36 AM, SureWord said:

Yes, like I said I'm not sure it has to be a full 12 hours of day or 12 hours of night to qualify. If I spend a night at a hotel it doesn't necessarily mean I'm there from dusk to dawn. That's why I think that heis death on the cross at 3pm could have counted as one day in "the heart of the earth" since his soul would have went there at 3pm. Jesus commending his spirit into the Father's hand doesn't necessarily mean that it went to heaven.  

It's so SIMPLE! 3 days and 3 nights MEANS 3 days and 3 nights. Why is it so hard> Why do we feel we need to complicate things, just to be in agreement with the Catholic's re-writing of scripture? Just like 6 days of creation, 6 days, evenings and mornings, yet so many "Christians" need to say, "Well, that means ages, or thousands of years", so they can try to change God's simple word to agree with God-hating evolutionists.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

What was my whole quote: let's look again:

Though technically, He was raised AFTER 3 days, which would mean very early, (or late?, at the beginning) of the first day.

By the timeline of the crucifixion, He probably went into the sepulcher maybe, at earliest, an hour, possibly less, before the end of the day, so He both met the requirement of three days and three nights, AND to rise after three days, (Matt 27:63; Mark 8:31). Simple math.

It's so SIMPLE! 3 days and 3 nights MEANS 3 days and 3 nights. Why is it so hard> Why do we feel we need to complicate things, just to be in agreement with the Catholic's re-writing of scripture? Just like 6 days of creation, 6 days, evenings and mornings, yet so many "Christians" need to say, "Well, that means ages, or thousands of years", so they can try to change God's simple word to agree with God-hating evolutionists.

Nobody is trying to complicate anything just trying to figure the apparent contradictions.

How did Christ spend a total of three days AND three nights in the heart of the earth yet rise again ON the third day like Paul said NOT after three days? 

Again, a Wednesday Crucifixion would have him spending 3 1/2 days and nights in the heart of the earth unless you have him rising again 6pm Saturday night. I conceded this could be possible but it seems to me that it was early Sunday morning thus why we hold services on Sunday morning.

If I wanted to be in agreement with Catholicism, which I made absolutely no attempt to do, I would simply say the Lord was crucified on a Friday and be done with it but the bible isn't always simple and takes hard work to figure out sometimes.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, SureWord said:

Nobody is trying to complicate anything just trying to figure the apparent contradictions.

How did Christ spend a total of three days AND three nights in the heart of the earth yet rise again ON the third day like Paul said NOT after three days? 

Again, a Wednesday Crucifixion would have him spending 3 1/2 days and nights in the heart of the earth unless you have him rising again 6pm Saturday night. I conceded this could be possible but it seems to me that it was early Sunday morning thus why we hold services on Sunday morning.

If I wanted to be in agreement with Catholicism, which I made absolutely no attempt to do, I would simply say the Lord was crucified on a Friday and be done with it but the bible isn't always simple and takes hard work to figure out sometimes.

Well, as for the difference between the third day, and after the third day, that is a difference that I suppose ew may not understand this side of heaven. It may be that He rose, or came alive, ON the third day, but did not rise, or leave the tomb, until AFTER the third day. 

A Wednesday crucifixion would not have Him in the tomb 3-1/2 days and nights, because the time of His death isn't the same as the time in the tomb, which is what the timing is set to. 3 days, three nights in the heart of the earth, or the tomb. That being the case. then He was only in the tomb for 3 days, and maybe an hour, depending on when He actually left the tomb.

Early Sunday morning would coincide with about 5am, which is why it was still dark when they went to the tomb, and it was already empty, so Jesus rose before that. But really, early Sunday would be after 6pm the evening before.

I don't think the time of day is important, He could have risen at 6:01pm, right at the start, or at 5am, while still dark, and before the women arrived, but the timing, three literal days and nights, 3 complete 24-hour periods, I believe are the best to go with, because it is the plainest reading, with no need to interpretation. It may even be that, if He went to the tomb at 5pm, then He could have risen at 5:55pm Saturday night, but left the tomb until after Sunday began, and He still would have met all the prophesied requirements.

And I apologize, I didn't mean to specifically say YOU were complicating things, though in retrospect I can see how that looked. It was just a general lament. Sorry it came across that way. Same with the catholic thing. I should not have attached it to your comment.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe He rose shortly before sunset on Saturday; He was certainly risen before the women arrived at His tomb. The only ones who might've seen Him rise were the Roman guards, who all fainted from fright when the angel came & rolled the rock from in fronta the entrance.