• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Good" Friday?

• Members
On 4/20/2019 at 10:48 PM, Invicta said:

Easter is still not passover.  The resurection was in the evening as the Sabbath was approaching.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:16 AM, John Young said:

Are you saying that Jesus' resurrection was on Friday before dark? The Jewish sabbath starts on our Friday night at dusk. 

I oblviously had a senior moment there.  I should have said "as the first day was approaching." 

On 4/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, John Young said:

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

The women began to set off as the sabbath was ending at twilight.  They arrived as the first day was dawning.  Dawning in this case (as I see it) can only mean the beginning of the first day, in the evening as the women arrived while it was yet dark. 

Mark seems to disagree 

• Mark 16:1-4
  • And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
  • And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
  • And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
  • And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.

Although Mark says they arrived at the rising of the sun, the stone was already rolled away

• Members

DaveW,
re:  "I might suggest though that Wednesday, Thursday,  or Friday for the burial, is not as important as the fact that the tomb is indeed empty."

As Jerry touched on, would that comment still apply if the tomb had been found empty on the 1st day after the burial?

• Members

Gentlemen, have you asked yourself why the ladies came in the morning instead of as soon as the Sabbath was finished, which would have been just after dusk on Saturday evening?

A worthy bible study for you to consider.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Scripture gives no command as to the day or days a church meets; each church decides what is best, as it is the assembly that matters. That they chose to meet the first day in honor of the day Christ rose, a perpetual remembrance, and to celebrate the Lord's supper on that day, is not a matter of scripture nor necessity, but of history. Many early writers have taken notice of this fact. 

As to Easter/Passover, seeing as how Easter's date continually changes from year to year, sometimes varying as much as a month one way or the other, while Passover remains the same (per the Jewish ceremonial calendar), if we are going to have a special yearly celebration of Jesus' resurrection, it ought to be on the Sunday after the Passover feast. Or so I see it. But thats just me.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thing is, Jesus was NOT crucified on a Friday. The inventors of "Good Friday", apparently the early RCC, were misled by the "High Sabbath". They didn't bother to see what a "High Sabbath" actually is, which is any Jewish holy day or observance day, regardless of which day of the week it occurs on. The particular High Sabbath that came the day after Jesus' death was the first "Holy Convocation" God ordained to be observed after the first day of passover.

And I believe Jesus was resurrected just before sunset on the regular weekly Sabbath of that week, so, come Sunday, He had already been resurrected. Thus, the actual Easter was on SATURDAY, or on the 17th of Nisan on the Jewish calendar.

Edited by robycop3

• 1 month later...
  • Members

robycop3,
re:  " Simple truth is, Jesus was crucified on a WEDNESDAY...And I believe Jesus was resurrected just before sunset on the regular weekly Sabbath of that week..."

Luke 24:21 has the men on the road to Emmaus saying that the 1st day of the week " is the 3rd day since these things happened", with the crucifixion being the last thing mentioned as happening (verse 24:20).   So if the 1st day of the week was the 3rd day since the crucifixion, then the 7th day of the week would be the 2nd day since the crucifixion, which would make the 6th day of the week the 1st day since the crucifixion,  which would make the 5th day of the week the day when the last thing mentioned happened, i.e., the crucifixion and not the 4th day of the week as you suggest.      

• 9 months later...
  • Members

robycop3,
re:  "There's simply no way to get three days & three nights from Friday to Sunday AM..."

A couple of ways have been suggested that the "heart of the earth" is not referring to the tomb so that the arrest in the garden or the 3 hours of darkness in the afternoon could account for one of the three nights. 

• Members
18 hours ago, rstrats said:

robycop3,
re:  "There's simply no way to get three days & three nights from Friday to Sunday AM..."

A couple of ways have been suggested that the "heart of the earth" is not referring to the tomb so that the arrest in the garden or the 3 hours of darkness in the afternoon could account for one of the three nights. 

The "heart of the earth " was just that. Just as Jonah was in the whale's stomach ("belly of the beast") but his soul was brought down to the bottoms of the mountains (at least in type maybe not literally) way below in the deep where the bars were shut about him forever so Jesus descended into the heart of the earth (call it hades, hell, Abraham's Bosom, sheol, the grave,  or whatever) to preach to the spirits in prison, to take the keys of hell and death and lead captivity captive (a jailbreak). The three hours among the Sanhedrin or on the cross explanation is a bunch of nonsensical private interpretation.

This is crucial to understand because Jesus was referring to how long he would be in hell (no, not burning in flames as some crazy Baptists say) not to how long his body would be in the tomb. He "gave up the ghost" and descended to hell at 3pm Thursday which was still daytime and rose again 6am Sunday which would make him being three days and nights in the heart of the earth according to daylight and darkness reckoning.

Thursday 3pm-6pm=Day 

Thursday 6pm-Friday 6am=Night 

Friday 6am-Friday 6pm=Day

Friday 6pm-Saturday 6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-Saturday 6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-Sunday 6am=Night 

Three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Now it could be argued that Jesus said to the thief on the cross that he would be be with him that night in paradise. This could mean paradise was in the heart of the earth at that time part of "Abraham's Bosom" or it could mean, based on John 3:13,  that Jesus was in both places (heaven and hell) at the same time. He is God so quite possible. Read Psalm 139:7,8 for further elaboration.

Edited by SureWord

• Moderators
9 hours ago, SureWord said:

The "heart of the earth " was just that. Just as Jonah was in the whale's stomach ("belly of the beast") but his soul was brought down to the bottoms of the mountains (at least in type maybe not literally) way below in the deep where the bars were shut about him forever so Jesus descended into the heart of the earth (call it hades, hell, Abraham's Bosom, sheol, the grave,  or whatever) to preach to the spirits in prison, to take the keys of hell and death and lead captivity captive (a jailbreak). The three hours among the Sanhedrin or on the cross explanation is a bunch of nonsensical private interpretation.

This is crucial to understand because Jesus was referring to how long he would be in hell (no, not burning in flames as some crazy Baptists say) not to how long his body would be in the tomb. He "gave up the ghost" and descended to hell at 3pm Thursday which was still daytime and rose again 6am Sunday which would make him being three days and nights in the heart of the earth according to daylight and darkness reckoning.

Thursday 3pm-6pm=Day 

Thursday 6pm-Friday 6am=Night 

Friday 6am-Friday 6pm=Day

Friday 6pm-Saturday 6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-Saturday 6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-Sunday 6am=Night 

Three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Now it could be argued that Jesus said to the thief on the cross that he would be be with him that night in paradise. This could mean paradise was in the heart of the earth at that time part of "Abraham's Bosom" or it could mean, based on John 3:13,  that Jesus was in both places (heaven and hell) at the same time. He is God so quite possible. Read Psalm 139:7,8 for further elaboration.

Three hours is not "a day", 12 hours is a day, if speaking of a day and a night-24 hours total. The time began when He was placed into the grave, just before 6pm, so He could be just as he was, 3 12hr days and 3 12hr nights. So He was crucified on Wednesday, placed into the tomb just prior to the end of the day , meaning He was in the tomb Thurs, Fri  and Sat, probably reviving either just before the send of the weekly Sabbath, but more likely resting til the finish of Sabbath and resurrecting at the very start of the first day at 6pm.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rstrats said:

How do you reconcile that with Luke 24:21?

Everything recorded in scripture is correct, but not everything is factual. That he said it was the third day since it was done cannot be correct the way it reads, because Jesus Himself said three days and three nights in the earth, until His resurrection. We cannot make 3 hours into a day. I would rather believe what Jesus said, than a disciple who may have been wrong. 

As well, technically-speaking, if Jesus died just prior to the end of the day, He could have resurrected just prior to the first day of the week, which would have made it the third day since He died, though the disciples didn't come to the tomb until the start of the first day.

• Members
8 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Three hours is not "a day", 12 hours is a day, if speaking of a day and a night-24 hours total. The time began when He was placed into the grave, just before 6pm, so He could be just as he was, 3 12hr days and 3 12hr nights. So He was crucified on Wednesday, placed into the tomb just prior to the end of the day , meaning He was in the tomb Thurs, Fri  and Sat, probably reviving either just before the send of the weekly Sabbath, but more likely resting til the finish of Sabbath and resurrecting at the very start of the first day at 6pm.

As I said a "Day" as in a period of daylight regardless of the length of time.

If Jesus rose ON the third day (not after three days) yet spent three days and three nights in the heart of the earth this is the only way that makes sense.

Also, a Wednesday crucifixion would have him in the sepulchre for 3 1/2 days/nights if he rose again early Sunday morning.

Wednesday Crucifixion at 3pm buried just prior to sunset, i.e. 6pm.

Thursday 6pm-6am=Night 

Thursday 6am-6pm=Day 

Friday 6pm-6am=Night 

Friday 6am-6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-6pm=Day 

Sunday 6pm-6am=Night 

Remember, the Jewish Day (24 hour period) began at sunset and ended the following sunset.

I believe the days and nights our Lord was referring to had to do with daylight and darkness not actually twelve hours periods. Also, I believe Jesus was referring to time spent in hell (i.e. Abraham's Bosom) and not to his body laying in the tomb. At least not in that passage.

Edited by SureWord

• Moderators
18 hours ago, SureWord said:

As I said a "Day" as in a period of daylight regardless of the length of time.

If Jesus rose ON the third day (not after three days) yet spent three days and three nights in the heart of the earth this is the only way that makes sense.

Also, a Wednesday crucifixion would have him in the sepulchre for 3 1/2 days/nights if he rose again early Sunday morning.

Wednesday Crucifixion at 3pm buried just prior to sunset, i.e. 6pm.

Thursday 6pm-6am=Night 

Thursday 6am-6pm=Day 

Friday 6pm-6am=Night 

Friday 6am-6pm=Day 

Saturday 6pm-6am=Night 

Saturday 6am-6pm=Day 

Sunday 6pm-6am=Night 

Remember, the Jewish Day (24 hour period) began at sunset and ended the following sunset.

I believe the days and nights our Lord was referring to had to do with daylight and darkness not actually twelve hours periods. Also, I believe Jesus was referring to time spent in hell (i.e. Abraham's Bosom) and not to his body laying in the tomb. At least not in that passage.

Morning begins at 6am, doesn't mean that is when Jesus rose, just when the women went to the tomb. Jesus wasn't there-He was already risen. Besides, He could have remained in the tomb until 5 minutes before the end of the first day, and it still would have been three days and three nights. Nothing that it cannot go over, however, again, there is nothing about the specific time He rose, so He could have been out of the grave, busy with whatever business He had, before the women arrived.

• Members
4 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Morning begins at 6am, doesn't mean that is when Jesus rose, just when the women went to the tomb. Jesus wasn't there-He was already risen. Besides, He could have remained in the tomb until 5 minutes before the end of the first day, and it still would have been three days and three nights. Nothing that it cannot go over, however, again, there is nothing about the specific time He rose, so He could have been out of the grave, busy with whatever business He had, before the women arrived.

I guess he could have risen at 6pm Saturday night according to our calendar but I always assumed that since he was called the "Sun of righteous" in Malachi 4:2 and that the disciples met on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7; I Corinthians 16:2) it was early Sunday morning our calendar. 

Another thing that stumps me is when Paul wrote that our Lord rose again ON the third day. How do you have three days and three nights yet still rise on the third day? That would make rising again on the fourth day. That's why I figured Jesus wasn't talking about literal twelve hours days and nights but rather periods of daylight and darkness.

I'm probably over thinking all of this.