• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Good" Friday?

• Members

But you were not referring to the 1st C Jewish believers, but to "Christians" in the current sense.

Of course they observed the Passover - they are still Hebrews, to whom the feast was given. it was to be observed forever by the Hebrews, BUT NOT BY US.

You are , quite simply wrong in your use of it in reference to Christianity.

They did not r

Practice it as part of their Christinity, but as part of their heritage.

Show me where Christians are commanded to keep a "Passover week of unleavened bread" as you stated clearly previously.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:23 AM, John Young said:

Its the last event in the Christian's Passover week of unleavened bread. 

No matter which way you cut it, this is an untrue statement, and it will lead to an incorrect understanding of the memorial of the Lord's Supper. 

• Members

I was referring to the events in Jerusalem in Acts 12 where "Easter" refers to Jews vs. the Jewish Christian's events. I did not mean to imply that it was a world wide Christian tradition to keep the week of unleavened bread. Only that the OT Passover was held in the days of unleavened bread and that the Christians hold the Lords supper in place of the ceder or with the supper and then the Easter celebration just after that week, the following Sunday. 

Edited by John Young

• Members
On 4/21/2019 at 7:23 AM, John Young said:

Its the last event in the Christian's Passover week of unleavened bread. The Passover (Lord's Supper) is eaten near the beginning of the week, Christ is crucified as our Passover lamb, and then three days later on the first day of the next week we celebrate Easter Morning. 

No dude - all present tense in answer to a present tense question.

What's so hard that people can't simply accept they were wrong and apologise?

I was clearly wrong above and just apologised for my mistake, but you have now given three different stories to try to get out of your mistake.....

Oh well, I don't really care all that much. Keep on make new excuses for all I care.

Passover is not for Christians - it seems you agree with that..... I think.....

I will leave it there.

• Members

Bit I find it interesting that you quote Scriptures regarding the practice of the Passover and the Feast of unleavened bread, but conveniently leave out the command for them.

The practice was not always right, but the command is unchangeable.

And there certainly has been harvest feasts of Pagan origin dating back to well before Christ, and at least one of them was involving the false God Ishatar which SOME say is where we get Easter from.

I don't know who it was nor when Easter was associated with Passover, but to totally disregard the pagan association is just not really very genuine.

And such feasts are known to be associated with this time of year for in the northern hemisphere that time is the beginning of harvest (generally). Intersting also that such feasts are times according to the moon phases.

Passover is a specific date in the Jewish calendar.

I just don't particularly like it when people make statements that are incorrect and basically try to bully people into accepting them.

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

What's so hard that people can't simply accept they were wrong and apologise?

I was clearly wrong above and just apologised for my mistake, but you have now given three different stories to try to get out of your mistake.....

I'm not sure why you keep thinking I'm making excuses. My replies are not excuses or "different stories" but my attempts to explain to you what I wrote. It is not hard to see what I meant. Even if its not to your likening. Obviously we Gentiles never have kept "the Passover" or are we to keep any OT or Jewish tradition. However, to ignore Passover events, and what they were called in the Bible and how they relate to our Easter events, how the Jewish Christians integrated them, especially in this conversation and particularity as to the details of Acts 12 where the only KJV mention of Easter is, is to be a bit thick headed. I've tired to explain what I meant several times but if you want to call my replies excuses or demand that I apologies for some wrong or error on my part, then I can't help you, because what you accuse me of saying I'm clearly not. If I confused or frustrated you in the way I worded my reply to Invicta as they relate to that week then I'm sorry.

1 hour ago, DaveW said:

Bit I find it interesting that you quote Scriptures regarding the practice of the Passover and the Feast of unleavened bread, but conveniently leave out the command for them. Thats because I'm only addressing one point as it relates to the verses. There is no need to explain every aspect of a verse or passage. 

The practice was not always right, but the command is unchangeable. Its what they did is the point, whither or not we agree with what NT Jewish Christians did doesn't matter in relation to the events of that week.

And there certainly has been harvest feasts of Pagan origin dating back to well before Christ, and at least one of them was involving the false God Ishatar which SOME say is where we get Easter from. And they would be wrong as linking Easter of Acts 12:4 and of Christian traditions to a Pagan day has very clearly shown to be wrong by every reputable study done on the matter. 

I don't know who it was nor when Easter was associated with Passover, but to totally disregard the pagan association is just not really very genuine. Its genuine to ignore it because its not a reputable association. Alexander Hilsop made it up for his book "the two Babylons". I provided a good link above. Feel fee to investigate it if you like.

And such feasts are known to be associated with this time of year for in the northern hemisphere that time is the beginning of harvest (generally). Intersting also that such feasts are times according to the moon phases.

Passover is a specific date in the Jewish calendar. Yes its a specific date that falls within the week of unleavened bread every year.

I just don't particularly like it when people make statements that are incorrect and basically try to bully people into accepting them. I can't help what you think is incorrect or not, or with what you decided to take issue, or what anyone does or doesn't accept. I'm just having a conversation and not trying force anyone to believe what I say or to bully anyone. 

Edited by John Young

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 4/23/2019 at 4:36 AM, John Young said:

Deleted.

John Young,
re:  "We Gentiles don't but the Early Christian JEWS of Jerusalem did in Acts 12. They kept the Passover week as part of their National traditions and celebrated Easter (Resurrection Morning) at the end of those events."

Are you saying that NT Christians celebrated the resurrection on resurrection morning?   If so, I'm not aware of any scripture which says that.   

Edited by rstrats

• Members
5 hours ago, rstrats said:

Are you saying that NT Christians celebrated the resurrection on resurrection morning?   If so, I'm not aware of any scripture which says that.   

I'm not sure what you do every morning and particularly on Sunday and on Easter but most every Christian has celebrated it daily weekly and yearly for almost 2,000 years. If you can't see it then its because you don't want to see it.

Matthew 4:16 the people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

Malachi 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Psalm 30:5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour islife: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

CELEBRATE, verb transitive

1. To praise; to extol; to commend; to give to; to make famous; as, to celebrate the name of the Most High.

The grave cannot celebrate thee. Isaiah 38:18.

2. To distinguish by solemn rites; to keep holy.

From even to even shall ye celebrate your Sabbath. Leviticus 23:32.

3. To honor or distinguish by ceremonies and marks of joy and respect; as, to celebrate the birth day of Washington; to celebrate a marriage.

4. To mention in a solemn manner, whether of joy or sorrow.

Edited by John Young

• Members

John Young,
re:  "... most every Christian has celebrated it [the resurrection] daily weekly and yearly for almost 2,000 years. If you can't see it then its because you don't want to see it."

What I don't see is where scripture says that anyone celebrated/observed/honored the resurrection on the 1st day of the week.

Edited by rstrats

• Members

Then you truly ignored the book of Acts and the end of the Gospels. There are various references to both gathering together on the first day of the week and remembering Christ’s (death, burial, and) resurrection.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Jesus can’t return to gather the saints and establish His kingdom if He is not alive to do so.

Just to clarify: what are you asking or debating here exactly? Denying or questioning they gathered on the first day of the week, or that they specifically remembered (or celebrated in some way) the fact that the Lord Jesus Christ arose? It’s hard to give specific passages when I am not sure what you are looking for.

The New Testament is full of references to the resurrection of Christ, and the book of Acts (and even 1 Corinthians) contain various references to believers meeting together on the Lord’s Day/Sunday.

• Members

Jerry,
re:  "There are various references to both gathering together on the first day of the week and remembering Christ’s (death, burial, and) resurrection."

Actually, as far as scripture is concerned, there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first. The John reference has them together in a closed room after the crucifixion because they were afraid of their fellow Jews. Nothing is said about a worship service or day of rest.  And it couldn't have been in recognition of the resurrection because at that time they didn't even believe that the resurrection had taken place.   

The Acts reference might very well have them together to break bread with Paul because he happened to be in town and wanted to talk to them before he had to leave again. The "breaking of bread" can simply be saying that the disciples got together to eat a meal on this particular first day of the week . The phrase, "to break bread", does not have to refer to a religious service - unless it is specifically stated - but to dividing loaves of bread for a meal. "It means to partake of food and is used of eating as in a meal...... The readers [of the original New Testament letters and manuscripts] could have had no other idea or meaning in their minds" (E.W.Bullinger, Figures of Speech Used in the Bible, pp. 839,840. 
But even if the breaking of bread mentioned always did refer to the Lord’s Supper, it had nothing to do with placing a special emphasis on the first (day) because Acts 2:46 says that they broke bread every day. 

• Members

Oh, so you are simply a heretic who doesn’t believe the New Testament and is not part of a sound Christian church. That explains it. So what are you? Seventh Day Adventist or some other cult?

• Members

Jerry,
re:  "Just to clarify: what are you asking or debating here exactly?"

John Young wrote that the "Early Christian JEWS of Jerusalem...celebrated Easter..."

I merely replied that I was not aware of any scripture which said that.    

re:  "Denying or questioning they gathered on the first day of the week..."

No.  John 20:19 and Acts 20:7 say that there were 2 times when they met. 

Edited by rstrats

• Members

Jerry,
re:  "Oh, so you are simply a heretic who doesn’t believe the New Testament..."

I believe the New Testament is silent with regard to anyone observing the 1st day of the the week for the purpose of honoring the resurrection. 

re:  ". So what are you? Seventh Day Adventist or some other cult?"

Neither one.  

• Members
2 minutes ago, rstrats said:

John Young wrote that the "Early Christian JEWS of Jerusalem...celebrated Easter..."
I merely replied that I was not aware of any scripture which said that.    

Acts 12 says it. Herod waited til after Easter to please the Jews. As Easter has always been the Christian reference to the morning Christ arose by not only defeating death but also the Roman seal that the Jews had requested bind Jesus in the tomb. Acts 12 was ten years to the day of the Resurrection of Christ and Herod was trying to reenact  an anti-resurrection demonstration Herod was attempting to do with Jesus' most popular disciple. That's why an angel opened the prison doors and freed him that day.

Matthew 27:62-65 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, 63 saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again. 64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first. 65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can. 

Acts 12:2-5 And he killed James the brother of John with the sword. 3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.) 4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. 5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

• 2 weeks later...