• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Sign in to follow this  
Corinne

Baggage

This is an expose of what false beliefs can do to a person.

Coming out of Orthodoxy has had a really negative influence on my faith. Orthodoxy is full of weird practices, superstitious beliefs and rituals.

As a believer in Christ, I struggle daily in renouncing of previous false thoughts. 

There are various wrong practices in Orthodoxy starting with making the sign of the cross, Mary adulation, using repetitive mantra, eating the 'wafer' and culminating with detailed stuff like not using garments of a deceased person, opening the door 3 times before closing it, not wearing a particular color on a garment, living close to a mountain or sea, Thursday being an evil day and many more weird things. Won't say any more of them cause they get even more bizarre.

For me it was easy to give up on wrong beliefs like Mary, repetitions, wafers and all rituals, but the superstitions still bother me. Why I'm wrestling? The mind is a battle, the mind keeps repeating the same nonsense I knew before I believed Christ alone. Mind tells 'do not do this thing today because it's wrong', yet it has no basis in Scripture. 

Once a person has had false indoctrination all their life, it will result in baggage after converting to Christ. It's a constant attack to fight or ignore these thoughts. The mind won't let a person free, belief settled in upbringing of a person can still affect later. 

Would say it's better if a person comes to Christ while not experiencing any sort of prior religion. They can accept it more clearly without having to undo damage from past wrong beliefs. 

I'm sorry that you have this baggage, Corinne. Battles of the mind are some of the hardest to fight. God tells us that our minds shape what we are - "As he thinketh in his heart, so is he." This verse is speaking directly about an evil man, but the principle is still there - as we think, so we are. 

Sin of any kind becomes baggage, and the mind will always battle it. You are battling religious indoctrination, others battle past experiences of a different type. But the Holy Spirit is able - and willing - to help us.

The only way to conquer this kind of thing is to completely immerse oneself in scripture and prayer. Maybe you could do a Bible study on the mind? Eph. 5:26  says "That he might sanctify and cleanse it by the washing of water by the word..." The verse is speaking of the church. Who is the church? We are...God can wash our minds by the word.

The indoctrination you underwent will be hard to shake - I'm not in any way saying it will be easy. But God is able. Will be praying for you.